User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    I guess their response is what is frustrating me a bit. Horizon techs gave me a difficult time in sending me a replacement manifold because they insist that the bladder and relief valve is designed to lose pressure over significant bumps else the possibility of damage to the bladder - clearly not what their marketing folks pitch. Try to avoid significant bumps on any interstate - not possible. Lost pressure pretty much every overnight and fuel stop. This was one of the primary marketing drivers for the Gen2 and now the Gen3 which has yet a different manifold.

Yea, trying to get any real info from any company anymore is next to impossible. It's all about liability, truck air bags don't increase your load capacity, just "levels the load". yea that's why they make 7500lbs bags or why lippert removed the advantage of using the hydraulic levelers to raise the rig and change tires from their advertisements. (the old advertisements are still out there if you search)

Anyway that's another rant, letting air out of the bag makes no sense to me in real life. That makes the unit almost useless. If you need to refill the bag everytime the road gets bad you may as well hook up a compressor, it's ridiculous. If the system can't handle a bump that travels through the truck suspension first then it doesn't belong an a hitch. Protecting against people over filling it makes more sense, but that's just me. I can tell you in the 4/5 years since I plugged mine it's been problem free and I have hit some massive bumps. Including on that broke the oil cooler on my duramax in TN dumping my coolant all over the road.

Just my opinion, no "real" knowledge to back it up. YMMV
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to follow-up after discovering the embarrassing (mine) reason for air loss. Basic diagnostics 101 which I forgot - I should have checked whether the fittings were tight. Main fitting to blow off valve wasn't even finger tight. Sprayed soap and nice tiny bubbles right away. Tightened so we'll see how this goes now - no more bubbles. Still plan on tee'ing in a TPMS sensor though.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO - TPMS on the air bag will serve little benefit unless you travel the same terrain. The small volume of the airbag constantly changes pressure due to temperature and altitude. This is essentially why Horizon uses the inspection window for use in determining the fill. Retrofitting in a ride height sensor would be the best gauge for the air bag. I have too many projects ahead of that though, but should be doable. The laser ride-height sensors have simple linear voltage output. If one of the mechanical sensors could be found with the same, simple to make a LED tree indicating deflated/optimum/overinflated which could be mounted on the Goosebox to see in the rearview or brought into the cab for the automotive savvy. Pressure just doesn't tell the story in this application IMO.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    IMO - TPMS on the air bag will serve little benefit unless you travel the same terrain. The small volume of the airbag constantly changes pressure due to temperature and altitude. This is essentially why Horizon uses the inspection window for use in determining the fill. Retrofitting in a ride height sensor would be the best gauge for the air bag. I have too many projects ahead of that though, but should be doable. The laser ride-height sensors have simple linear voltage output. If one of the mechanical sensors could be found with the same, simple to make a LED tree indicating deflated/optimum/overinflated which could be mounted on the Goosebox to see in the rearview or brought into the cab for the automotive savvy. Pressure just doesn't tell the story in this application IMO.
    You are probably correct, but mine wasn't a small leak. Nearly all air gone while pulling - sometimes in fewer than 100 miles. And Reese maintained that was normal giving me a difficult time with replacing the manifold - they wanted me to do a 'soap test while driving'. OK, have not figured that one out.

As it turns out, I had a TireLinc sensor leak between the brass and plastic. Dealer gave me a complete kit they had which was returned. So it really won't cost me anything to put a sensor on with the separate repeater. At least this way I'll have some idea of exactly how much air I do or don't lose because of roads or possibly a bladder leak. Every morning (sometimes every fuel stop) the bar could not be seen in the inspection window. I kept telling myself it was because we weren't level side to side but finally started measuring remaining pressure. Single digits. For that kind of loss of 30 PSI, I would think the TPMS would be more than adequate.
    Last edited by ajg617; 12-30-2022 at 12:52 PM.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no doubt Horizon Global gave you the runaround. Unless you get to John, you're not dealing with savvy folks. However, look at it the other way in that they were convinced you had a leak, which you did... The "in motion" leak test is supposed to be you hitching the Goosebox, shaping everything, and then using the landing gear to simulate motion and different force on the bag and exercise it. Undoubtedly, you were not speaking to John. Horizon claims the manifold failure rate to be very, very low - mine did, which you'll find in a historical post. All of the parts are made overseas, and they've been struggling keeping in stock after the huge surge demand and could have been part of the problem. The simply sent me a replacement label with a return box and label for the old but I did have to get to John and that took effort till they figured this ornery engineer wasn't backing off... I have healthy miles on our Goosebox and unless we're doing major elevational changes adjustments to the bag are minimal. You may want to check you haven't worn out the shocks.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The simply sent me a replacement label with a return box and label for the old but I did have to get to John and that took effort till they figured this ornery engineer wasn't backing off... I have healthy miles on our Goosebox and unless we're doing major elevational changes adjustments to the bag are minimal. You may want to check you haven't worn out the shocks.
    Well, good to have a name. I think there is only one person doing tech support named Bill - and I could get nowhere with him for most of the year. It's under a year old and 12K miles and just very frustrating to have to air up so often. Nobody explained the in-motion process you mention, but kept telling me that the blow-off valve was designed to relieve pressure when hitting major bumps and we hit a lot of them. I was not going to back off of this one either - finally posted comments with case number on their YT channel and got a new manifold.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally disagree with "...will serve little purpose...". The whole idea of using a TPMS is to let me know if the bag looses any pressure at all. When driving at a steady pace, which is the case most of the time (no turns, no start-stops), the pressure remains the same as when I start off from a standing start. And when I come to complete stop the pressure shows the same. So I know if any air has leaked. Yes - there are slight variations in the pressure when starting, stopping, turning & such and that's why I said what I said in post #7 above. And the idea of using a ride hight while cleaver, is really not necessary and would be a bit of over engineering

I did this TPMS thing because so many people reported air losses during a trip. I haven't experienced any. I have the Gen2 valve so I think Reese took care of the leaks from their original valving.

If one wants to get really fancy then this might be one way to go.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Gen II seems to loose a little air along the way. I just use one of those hand held battery operated Ryobi air compressors with a 12 inch extension to reach over the side of the truck to top it off from time to time. Don`t think I want to spend hours on the phone raising my blood pressure hassling people looking for part replacements that are like going to do the same thing for such a minor issue.
    Last edited by bshgto; 12-30-2022 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
    Don`t think I want to spend hours on the phone raising my blood pressure hassling people for such a minor issue.
    It's not minor if you continually lose ALL the air in less than a day's travel. It's a royal pain.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=ajg617;461791]It's not minor if you continually lose ALL the air in less than a day's travel. It's a royal pain.[/QUOTE

All the air parts are sold on line. Personally, I would just buy what`s needed, replace it and go on with life. Trying to get warranty parts from the pinheads that really don`t understand what you're talking about would not be worth the trouble. Kinda like letting your camper sit at the dealer for months waiting for a warrantied part that you could buy replace and go camping.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast