User Tag List

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even in 1980, never had a problem finding diesel for my cars. I also run an additive in the fuel by personal choice. You will have to fill the DEF tank on today's diesels - different fill different tank and about $4/gal at the truck stops. When towing, I average about 350 mpg DEF. There is a cost differential in mpg. Whether that's worth it or not is a matter of preference. There are also some intangibles like the diesel exhaust brake - worth its weight in gold. Started towing my daughter's 2 horse trailer with the 2500 Cummins because I was killing DW's Suburban and my 1500. What a treat in performance improvement.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I am looking at diesel vs gas. Why that when I read/watch info on diesels it seems they say to make sure you have an app to make sure you have stops on the way? Very rarely have I seen a stop that didn't have diesel. So, what is the issue?

Also, I am reading that you don't run straight diesel due to regulations. Again, if the additive is mandatory then why not have it in the fuel to begin with?

Still gathering info guys. Full time is not something we are going to just jump into.
    Unless you are planning to get a substantially larger/heavier trailer, considering diesel is mostly a no brainer. Your current rig is very similar to ours and having a diesel truck would simply be overkill and an expense that is unneeded. Like dropping the 4x4 drive. It was a huge advantage for us as the payload took a nice uptick. We had all the previous trucks in 4x4 configuration and never was it required. With our older 17,000# Montana 5r, the big Cummins was worth every penny. Not so with an 8k# tt. Another big advantage of towing with gas is all the Walmart and HEB gas stations have great clearance for the 11.5' high trailer. As far as Apps, we use GasBuddy on the phone. Works great to find fuel with clearance for the trailer.
    Joyful & Drake
    SE Texas
    2022 Grand Design 2600RB
    2022 F150 Platinum 1777# Payload
    ProPride-3 1400 Hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    Unless you are planning to get a substantially larger/heavier trailer, considering diesel is mostly a no brainer. Your current rig is very similar to ours and having a diesel truck would simply be overkill and an expense that is unneeded. Like dropping the 4x4 drive. It was a huge advantage for us as the payload took a nice uptick. We had all the previous trucks in 4x4 configuration and never was it required. With our older 17,000# Montana 5r, the big Cummins was worth every penny. Not so with an 8k# tt. Another big advantage of towing with gas is all the Walmart and HEB gas stations have great clearance for the 11.5' high trailer. As far as Apps, we use GasBuddy on the phone. Works great to find fuel with clearance for the trailer.
    Op stated he is potentially looking at a 14k rig. IMHO that is diesel territory.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Go gasser in the mountains of Colorado. Then go with a diesel equipped with engine braking. You’ll learn real fast the value of that diesel.
    I learned that in the mountains of eastern Tennessee. And was glad I went diesel when I was towing in Colorado. The diesel rarely shifts going uphill, and I rarely use the brake pedal going downhill.

DEF is a non issue really. The 5 gallon tank in my Ram will last a couple of weeks towing, and a couple of months when not towing.

As far as additives goes, I don't use them except maybe once a year for cleaning, but not for lubricity. Today's fuel has all it needs to meet engine specs.
    And some additives actually make lubricity worse. Do some research and you'll learn that.
    The exception is anti-gel. Normally not required since your regional fuel is supposed to be treated as required. But a sudden arctic front or travel between regions you may need anti-gel. In CT I only used anti-gel a couple of times a year when temps were predicted to be below zero.

My opinions based on my experience and research.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been across country several times towing with my diesel, and it is my daily driver. Been driving diesel trucks and cars since 2004, and have never had a problem finding diesel, and I find it rare to find a gas station without it. The only reason I use an "app", is to find the cheapest fuel, sometimes it is with my "TSD" card at a truck stop, or sometimes it is a regular gas station. I do use the gasbuddy app also. No different then if I was traveling with a regular gas engine.

As far as purchasing DEF, it is widely available also. At truck stops on the pumps, or any auto parts store, Walmart, Lowes, Home depot, Tractor supply, and depending on what part of the country, I have even seen it in a grocery store.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 11-29-2022 at 08:01 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good info here ! Do you need it no , is it nice to have yes , you want one buy one !
    Do they cost more yes , maintenance cost more yes . If you want to save money stay home !!
    Last edited by Conner58; 11-29-2022 at 09:03 AM.
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using an app to find diesel isn't really to find diesel, but rather to find a truck stop or larger station that will accommodate the larger and taller 5th wheel. Unfortunately, many regular stations don't have their overheads marked with height so you don't know if you can really fit.

Using the truck lanes at a truck stop is awesome. Easy in and out. No worries, fills quick, and long handle squeegees. I don't think truckers mind us using the lanes because we fill up so fast and are gone unless there is a truck in front of us. TSD cards help bring the price of diesel closer to regular stations so I don't worry about it. Truck stops GENERALLY have larger and cleaner restrooms, larger store, and a food option if needed. I need to stop every 2 hours so no big deal whether to buy diesel or not. Auxiliary tanks are great but you have to watch your payload on the truck. Can add a lot of extra weight.

DEF is no issue as you can pump that in the truck lanes. Cheaper and no fuss messing with the boxes and smell.

Another benefit of a diesel is the exhaust brake. Think it was mentioned briefly above, but a real benefit when towing through hilly areas. Set the cruise control and the engine will take it from there. If you are thinking about the future, I'd seriously consider a one ton diesel dually so you aren't limited on the 5th wheel.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    Using an app to find diesel isn't really to find diesel, but rather to find a truck stop or larger station that will accommodate the larger and taller 5th wheel. Unfortunately, many regular stations don't have their overheads marked with height so you don't know if you can really fit.

Using the truck lanes at a truck stop is awesome. Easy in and out. No worries, fills quick, and long handle squeegees. I don't think truckers mind us using the lanes because we fill up so fast and are gone unless there is a truck in front of us. TSD cards help bring the price of diesel closer to regular stations so I don't worry about it. Truck stops GENERALLY have larger and cleaner restrooms, larger store, and a food option if needed. I need to stop every 2 hours so no big deal whether to buy diesel or not. Auxiliary tanks are great but you have to watch your payload on the truck. Can add a lot of extra weight.

DEF is no issue as you can pump that in the truck lanes. Cheaper and no fuss messing with the boxes and smell.

Another benefit of a diesel is the exhaust brake. Think it was mentioned briefly above, but a real benefit when towing through hilly areas. Set the cruise control and the engine will take it from there. If you are thinking about the future, I'd seriously consider a one ton diesel dually so you aren't limited on the 5th wheel.
    Tons of good info ��
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had gas trucks and several diesel trucks for years and would note there are differences in both technologies, but they are different tools as well. Gas engines work fine for lower weight/size pulling and hauling especially at sea level altitudes. If you are pulling over 8K lbs or pulling at anything higher than sea level....the power and torque numbers are drastically reduced, and the gas truck has to work extremely hard to include pulling at red line RPMs. Diesels don't work near as hard as gas engines for pulling similar loads and make their power numbers at much lower RPMs which is why they typically last into the hundreds of thousands of miles as compared to gas engines.

There are differences in the maintenance costs and procedures with both types of engines, but I would not call one harder than another.....they are just different and built for different workloads and requirements. As a person that has pulled lots of heavy loads throughout all different altitude ranges.....once you pull with a diesel.....you will never go back to a gas truck. It's night and day different and much more enjoyable. The diesel fuel does cost more as noted and there is now DEF involved for emissions compliance...but the MPG is also greater with a diesel than a gas. The engine longevity is also much more as noted with a diesel. One must consider all the pros and cons of both types before selecting the right tool and making the trades.

Also as already noted....the diesels have exhaust brakes and the gas engines have engine brakes. Both technologies are different but the exhaust brakes on diesel engines are 1000 % more effective than gas engine braking and make slowing and regulating truck/camper speeds much safer and efficient with less anxiety to the driver IMHO......
    Last edited by COGrandDes; 11-29-2022 at 09:40 AM.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest calling your local truck brand dealer and ask about an oil change and filter change. $$$$$$
    If you do it yourself then you'll save $$$$.
    I find that as long as diesel runs close to gas in price that the savings in fuel covers my oil and filter changes. Currently where I live diesel is running$1.00 or slightly more per gal than gas. I still breakeven on overall fuel cost over a gasser but now I'm on the hook for the filter and oil change.
    I used to do my own oil and filter changes but at 70 years young I'm done with it.

I'm retired so my truck doesn't get driven as much in the off season. I hardly use any DEF and need to be aware of the fact that it has a shelf life. I don't want a 1/2 tank of DEF sitting in the truck from Sept to April being subject to harsh weather. DEF has a shelf life so unless getting it at truck stops is your thing you have to be aware of the manf date on the box.

I'm going on 10 years owning diesels and while I really love the power and the exhaust brake they can be a hassle at times when on the road fueling up. You just have to be a little more cognisant of fuel stops.

My overall truck/TT length is 53'. If you have a CC LB truck and then you could get a 35' 5er nd be the same length as I am. At my length I have very little trouble using regular gas stations that carry diesel. Most fuel stations out on the open road are large enough to pull through for fuel. Not all but on a main road with a cluster of fuel stations running through town it's always easy to find one with diesel that I can get in and out of. You just can't pick the cheapest station that has gas like you do in a car.

If you go real long on the 5er like 38'+ then you'll really limit yourself to fuel stop locations.

I hate truck stops. The pumps and the ground are splashed with diesel and you need to be aware of that or you'll stink when you get back in your truck. Normal car truck islands aren't near as messy.

You'll also want to make sure you stick with name brand diesel stations. Fresh clean diesel is your best friend.
    Last edited by goducks14; 11-29-2022 at 10:07 AM.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast