Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are diesels that difficult?

I am looking at diesel vs gas. Why that when I read/watch info on diesels it seems they say to make sure you have an app to make sure you have stops on the way? Very rarely have I seen a stop that didn't have diesel. So, what is the issue?

Also, I am reading that you don't run straight diesel due to regulations. Again, if the additive is mandatory then why not have it in the fuel to begin with?

Still gathering info guys. Full time is not something we are going to just jump into.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you need it why would you want it?

The trailer you have doesn’t require it
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Unless you need it why would you want it?

The trailer you have doesn’t require it
    We are looking at 14k+ lbs for a fifth wheel, that is why. I know I could get away with a gasser but just getting info.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    We are looking at 14k+ lbs for a fifth wheel, that is why. I know I could get away with a gasser but just getting info.
    I completely agree, we have a gasser now and we went westward last year and with our f150 max tow we need a larger truck and since we’ll have to trade we’re going diesel ant getting if gods will a f250. Not because of towing ability the f150 did fine. The upgrade is because of cargo capacity. We’re over the limit on our current rig and our next trip we’re headed out and we’ll have another couple traveling with us even more need for additional cargo capacity.
    F150 short bed
    Max tow package 20 inch tires
    36 gallon fuel tank 1600 payload
    TT 2500 RL (picked up June 25th 2021)

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1 View Post
    I completely agree, we have a gasser now and we went westward last year and with our f150 max tow we need a larger truck and since we’ll have to trade we’re going diesel ant getting if gods will a f250. Not because of towing ability the f150 did fine. The upgrade is because of cargo capacity. We’re over the limit on our current rig and our next trip we’re headed out and we’ll have another couple traveling with us even more need for additional cargo capacity.
    Don't get your hopes up for a big difference in cargo capacity with a 3/4T diesel truck. Many/most of them with a diesel engine will have cargo capacities in the low to maybe mid 2000 range. The diesel engine equipped 3/4T trucks lose a lot of their payload capacity that would normally be there if the same truck was a gas engine. The diesel equipped truck loses a good 600 to 800 lbs of payload capacity because of the weight of the motor/transmission.

Case in point. My 2011 F250 CrewCab, 4x4, diesel XLT (not even close to top of the line trim package) only had 2148 lbs of payload capacity. Nope, that's not a typo....2148 lbs of payload. Take the same truck with a gas motor in it and now you are at around 3000 lbs of payload

I'm certainly not down playing going with a diesel powered truck if it's needed, I have a F350 Dually diesel, but I also have the need for it with a 20,000 lb GVWR triple axle trailer. The truck has a listed payload number of 5270 lbs and between the loaded trailer's pin weight, the toolbox in the bed of the truck, and the 60 gallon aux. tank in the bed, I am getting very close to the GVWR of the truck....which is 14,000 lbs
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a trailer this size you definitely should go for a diesel. Much better fuel economy but the main thing is torque. Modern Diesel engines in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have twice as much torque (pulling power) compared to gas engines. This is very important when you come to hilly or mountainous terrain. You also get engine braking with the Diesel engine, something the gas engine doesn’t offer. Once you have had a late model Diesel engine in a tow vehicle, it would be very hard to go back to a gas engine. The newer diesels are very quiet and smooth, especially if equipped with a 10 speed automatic transmission.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, PullRite 16K Superglide, 2022 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of the items you've mentioned are false, additives are not needed, nor is any app needed to find diesel. I've used a diesel tow vehicle for about 15 years and have never found a need for any app to find diesel, and never have used an additive unless I'm putting the truck up for a few months.

Different people do different things.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Both of the items you've mentioned are false, additives are not needed, nor is any app needed to find diesel. I've used a diesel tow vehicle for about 15 years and have never found a need for any app to find diesel, and never have used an additive unless I'm putting the truck up for a few months.

Different people do different things.
    So, all this DEF stuff I read and how it is mandatory is not a thing then?
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, all this DEF stuff I read and how it is mandatory is not a thing then?
    Oh DEF is definitely required. Your truck will go into "limp in" mode if you run out of it and run at about 20 mph till you get it filled.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorJoe View Post
    Oh DEF is definitely required. Your truck will go into "limp in" mode if you run out of it and run at about 20 mph till you get it filled.
    I ran out once towing. I was limited to 50 MPH. From what I understand,the limitations progress getting more restrictive every so many miles until it is filled. Not a big deal. You wont be stranded unless you continue to ignore it.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast