User Tag List

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I am looking at diesel vs gas. Why that when I read/watch info on diesels it seems they say to make sure you have an app to make sure you have stops on the way? Very rarely have I seen a stop that didn't have diesel. So, what is the issue?

Also, I am reading that you don't run straight diesel due to regulations. Again, if the additive is mandatory then why not have it in the fuel to begin with?

Still gathering info guys. Full time is not something we are going to just jump into.

The app is a discount fuel program offered by a trucking company in Texas. You use his fuel purchase power, he gets a major bulk discount, and you also get a pretty big discount, after a small accounting fee. I usually save between $0.25 and $0.75 per gallon. You use the app (called Open Roads) to find the stations offering the best prices for your discount card. It is just a map and you set it for distance. Mine is set for 50 miles. It tells me which stations are within that distance and the price of diesel with the discount card.

The additive is Diesel Exhaust Fluid. Its EPA mandated. It reduces NOx yet allows car companys to build diesel engines as powerful as they want without worrying about smog equipment making their product wimpy. Walmart sells it for about $10.00 per 2.5 gallon jug. But truck stops have it at the pump cheaper, most of the time. Average use is 2.5 gallons per 1000 miles.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Good to know, thanks for the info. I'll have to think about that. Going to upgrade, just not sure if I'm going to tackle it myself. Will have to check around for a diesel shop and see what they would charge...
    I chose to do the install myself. Was very easy. Completed in about 4 hours. I went with the S&B 62 gallon. Love it!

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am envious of all you diesel owners being able to put in a larger tank. I have a 2021 Ram 2500 CCSB with the 6.4 Hemi, and nobody seems to make a larger tank for it. Not sure who thought a 31 gallon tank was a good choice for this truck. We don't do too many long days, and with 2 dogs we make frequent stops anyway, but more range would sometimes be nice. Considering a transfer tank in the bed, just not sure if it would be worth the cost, trouble and loss of bed space.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I bought a 20 gallon RDS auxiliary fuel tank, 20 gallons so it would fit under my tool box and I wouldn't lose any bed space. The truck already had the plumbing installed, and the solenoid valve plumbed and wired in so I was good to go. Cost me about $600 all told. Gives me a little over 50 gallons of fuel total. Enough that I don't have to stop at truck stops, just fill up at the end of the travel day. I have read of a couple people who have had issues, i.e. leaks, with the Titan, and/or S&B tanks. Only a couple and fixed under warranty.
    My F350 came with a 48 gallon tank. No need for an auxiliary tank.

PS: just my 2 cents worth here, but, I would much rather stop along the highway and fill up my tank, than get to the campground, get all setup, and then have to leave in search for Diesel. After we get setup, I just want to sit down, relax and have some dinner.

PPS: I like using the truck lanes for Diesel. There is plenty of room to maneuver the camper and the fuel and DEF are always fresh.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 12-03-2022 at 08:44 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    My F350 came with a 48 gallon tank. No need for an auxiliary tank.

PS: just my 2 cents worth here, but, I would much rather stop along the highway and fill up my tank, than get to the campground, get all setup, and then have to leave in search for Diesel. After we get setup, I just want to sit down, relax and have some dinner.

PPS: I like using the truck lanes for Diesel. There is plenty of room to maneuver the camper and the fuel and DEF are always fresh.
    I'm just the opposite, I like getting stopped early, and then fueling up at some point. We rarely travel more than 250-300 miles so our days are pretty short, leaving a lot of time to take care of necessary tasks. And I really hate crowded, dirty, stinky truck stops with messy, spilled diesel to walk in to fuel up. We like stopping at parks, rest stops, or other peaceful places to take a break. Dif'rent strokes...
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just the opposite, I like getting stopped early, and then fueling up at some point. We rarely travel more than 250-300 miles so our days are pretty short, leaving a lot of time to take care of necessary tasks. And I really hate crowded, dirty, stinky truck stops with messy, spilled diesel to walk in to fuel up. We like stopping at parks, rest stops, or other peaceful places to take a break. Dif'rent strokes...
    The beauty of the larger tank is that it provides options. If you need time to make a destination you can skip a perspective stop and keep going. It also allows the potential to skip known areas of high fuel costs. I like options. I also like to the travel days comfortable, so whenever possible 350-400 miles, but have done as much as 600. After 10+ hours of driving, beer and steak please.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is our preference also. So far I have just been hauling 2 5-gallon fuel cans in the bed for emergencies and that has worked out so far.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 50 gallon Titan replacement tank in my truck. I like the options that it gives me, there is a route that I sometimes take that can be "iffy" on fuel. The two stations that are on the route are questionable on not only being open, but also not much room for truck and trailer. With the bigger tank, I don't have to think about needing those stations.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alias100 View Post
    I am envious of all you diesel owners being able to put in a larger tank. I have a 2021 Ram 2500 CCSB with the 6.4 Hemi, and nobody seems to make a larger tank for it. Not sure who thought a 31 gallon tank was a good choice for this truck. We don't do too many long days, and with 2 dogs we make frequent stops anyway, but more range would sometimes be nice. Considering a transfer tank in the bed, just not sure if it would be worth the cost, trouble and loss of bed space.
    I thought the same about possibly adding an auxiliary tank, but after more than five years with my 2017 2500 (6.7L CTD), I have never run so low on fuel that it would be a problem... maybe close, but never within 2-3 gallons of running out of fuel. The bed space (standard bed) is worth more to me, at least so far.

As for the OP's question ("Are diesels that difficult?"), my answer is "Absolutely not"... my choice was based upon information from real (i.e., in person) people with actual experience with this sort of thing. I completely ignored all the Faecesbook (and similar) stuff. As I am a "price versus cost" sort of person, my decision was easy. The only thing I would change on the next truck would be to buy a 3500 (one ton) model, most likely single rear wheel (what a misnomer... a truck requires two rear wheels and two front wheels ), but with the standard (6'4") bed.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit1 View Post
    I thought the same about possibly adding an auxiliary tank, but after more than five years with my 2017 2500 (6.7L CTD), I have never run so low on fuel that it would be a problem... maybe close, but never within 2-3 gallons of running out of fuel. The bed space (standard bed) is worth more to me, at least so far.

As for the OP's question ("Are diesels that difficult?"), my answer is "Absolutely not"... my choice was based upon information from real (i.e., in person) people with actual experience with this sort of thing. I completely ignored all the Faecesbook (and similar) stuff. As I am a "price versus cost" sort of person, my decision was easy. The only thing I would change on the next truck would be to buy a 3500 (one ton) model, most likely single rear wheel (what a misnomer... a truck requires two rear wheels and two front wheels ), but with the standard (6'4") bed.
    A bigger trailer would fix that, LOL
    But range is just one advantage. When I can take advantage of a great deal on fuel, I can stock up.
    I have a rewards card that I often can accumulate enough points to save 1.00 a gallon on a 35 gallon fill That is 35.00 savings. Working the card right I can often get multiple fills on that card. The only issue is that they expire in 30 days. With my capacity at 95 gallons, I have room to use all of the points before they expire. It wont take long for the aux tank to pay for itself.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast