User Tag List

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are diesels that difficult?

I am looking at diesel vs gas. Why that when I read/watch info on diesels it seems they say to make sure you have an app to make sure you have stops on the way? Very rarely have I seen a stop that didn't have diesel. So, what is the issue?

Also, I am reading that you don't run straight diesel due to regulations. Again, if the additive is mandatory then why not have it in the fuel to begin with?

Still gathering info guys. Full time is not something we are going to just jump into.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you need it why would you want it?

The trailer you have doesn’t require it
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of the items you've mentioned are false, additives are not needed, nor is any app needed to find diesel. I've used a diesel tow vehicle for about 15 years and have never found a need for any app to find diesel, and never have used an additive unless I'm putting the truck up for a few months.

Different people do different things.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I am looking at diesel vs gas. Why that when I read/watch info on diesels it seems they say to make sure you have an app to make sure you have stops on the way? Very rarely have I seen a stop that didn't have diesel. So, what is the issue?

I researched my stops when headed to YNP last summer due to the multiple reports of stations being "few and far between" out west. This would apply to gasoline and diesel though.

Also, I am reading that you don't run straight diesel due to regulations. Again, if the additive is mandatory then why not have it in the fuel to begin with?

I am not aware of any regulation for additives, but some folks add to help with pump lubrication and/or freezing.(diesel will "gel" when it gets really cold)

Still gathering info guys. Full time is not something we are going to just jump into.
    I love the torque of the diesel over my gas burners in the past. Not loving the price of diesel compared to "87" gasoline right now though.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Unless you need it why would you want it?

The trailer you have doesn’t require it
    We are looking at 14k+ lbs for a fifth wheel, that is why. I know I could get away with a gasser but just getting info.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Both of the items you've mentioned are false, additives are not needed, nor is any app needed to find diesel. I've used a diesel tow vehicle for about 15 years and have never found a need for any app to find diesel, and never have used an additive unless I'm putting the truck up for a few months.

Different people do different things.
    So, all this DEF stuff I read and how it is mandatory is not a thing then?
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diesel is not hard to find. Not all stations have diesel but most do. DEF is not usually considered an additive...additives are usually things like cetane boost, conditioners etc....Some people use them...I consider them a waste of money. And def can't be added to the fuel..it is injected after the combustion.

And...once you tow with a diesel you will never want to go back to a gasser. It's like changing over to a 4 wheel drive truck...you will not want to be without it's extra capabilities.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Diesel is not hard to find. Not all stations have diesel but most do. DEF is not usually considered an additive...additives are usually things like cetane boost, conditioners etc....Some people use them...I consider them a waste of money. And def can't be added to the fuel..it is injected after the combustion.

And...once you tow with a diesel you will never want to go back to a gasser. It's like changing over to a 4 wheel drive truck...you will not want to be without it's extra capabilities.
    Well, if I have to buy fuel and DEF, that to me is an additive. I guess I need to do more research.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, IMO DEF is not an additive anymore than oil, antifreeze, or automatic transmission fluid. To me, an additive is something you add to the fuel, for one reason or another. DEF is something you have to have in order to make progress down the road.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post

I'll try to answer what I think you are asking...maybe. Planning stops with a diesel truck towing a larger trailer can be tricky sometimes unless you are willing to use the truck stop lanes. Yes, many, many fueling locations will have diesel pumps, but the question becomes.....can you get the truck and trailer in there AND back out without any risk of damaging your truck/trailer or the fueling pumps. Some of them just are not made for a truck towing a larger trailer......there simply isn't enough room to maneuver the rig in and out. If you are asking about something else, please disregard the comment.

Personally, I run a cetane booster/additive in every single gallon of fuel that goes into my truck tanks, both the truck tank and the aux. tank. It's a matter of personal choice, and kind of like a bit of additional insurance. The Ultra Low Sulphur diesel fuel (15ppm) that has been required in road trucks since about 2007 or 2008, does not have the amount of lubricity that the previous generation of diesel fuel had, so the additives provide a bit more of that.

DEF is not an additive and is required to be used by all the diesel engine trucks that are newer than a certain date....probably around the 2007/2008 date, but I'm not for sure on the exact time. Suffice to say, it's been required in pretty much all trucks that have been made in the last 10 or 12 years though. The exceptions might be a truck that has been deleted by a previous owner and the DEF system removed.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast