User Tag List

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I am looking at diesel vs gas. Why that when I read/watch info on diesels it seems they say to make sure you have an app to make sure you have stops on the way? Very rarely have I seen a stop that didn't have diesel. So, what is the issue?

Also, I am reading that you don't run straight diesel due to regulations. Again, if the additive is mandatory then why not have it in the fuel to begin with?

Still gathering info guys. Full time is not something we are going to just jump into.
    Only you can decide if you want one. But if you get one you will probably love it.

You do not need an app to find diesel there is plenty of places. Trucks drive cross country.

That said I do use an app called open roads for a fuel discount program I use, the savings can be substantial. They do automatically deduct it from your checking account.

Some folks do not want to offer that kind of access which is understandable, but I have been happy with them and I watch like a hawk.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Well, if I have to buy fuel and DEF, that to me is an additive. I guess I need to do more research.
    That is why I've keep my 2003 Duramax, No extra emissions or Def required. All diesels after 2010 require DEF.
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whichever brand you are looking at, check fuel tank size...the bigger the better.
    I'm thinking of replacing our 31 gallon tank with a Titan 52 gallon tank. I think the 31 gallon tank is kind of small.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Whichever brand you are looking at, check fuel tank size...the bigger the better.
    I'm thinking of replacing our 31 gallon tank with a Titan 52 gallon tank. I think the 31 gallon tank is kind of small.
    Totally agree there. I would say that is probably the one and ONLY one thing that I wish were different on my new GMC. I have a 38 gal tank and wish it were bigger. This is an upgrade that I will probably do next year. I'm concerned about the gage reading correctly though after I change it out. Seems like there is mixed info on what happens when you upgrade.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing with monster diesel tanks is that if you aren't turning that fuel regularly, you need to treat it for water, antifungal, etc. I also recommend installing an additional fuel filter ahead of the factory filter too. I have one that that uses $10, off-the-shelf CAT filters. For the RAM, there's an outfit that makes an exceptional bolt-in kit and works with the larger S&B tank, which I have. Fortunately, it was coincidence because I had the filter first!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    Totally agree there. I would say that is probably the one and ONLY one thing that I wish were different on my new GMC. I have a 38 gal tank and wish it were bigger. This is an upgrade that I will probably do next year. I'm concerned about the gage reading correctly though after I change it out. Seems like there is mixed info on what happens when you upgrade.
    With Ford I have an app that can change many of the settings on the truck including the tank size, perhaps there is one for GMC?
    Edit: to clarify, this is a third party app called ForScan so it is not provided by Ford directly. But with an OBD connector it is easy to change things like folding mirrors upon lock, fuel tank size, actual temps on trans and oil gauges, etc...
    Last edited by Riverbug; 02-03-2023 at 08:25 AM.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    I have the Titan 50 gallon OEM replacement tank on my truck, and for the first 150-200 miles, the gauge shows full, then once the fuel level gets to what the OEM tank size was, it is accurate from that point on. It really isn't rocket science to know that you are getting, say 11 mpg towing, and use that number as a base for the extra fuel you are carrying. My OEM tank was 32 gallons, and with the 50 gallon tank, I know that while towing, I have an extra 198 miles (18 gallons), although I usually just use 10 mpg for simplicity. Same for when I am not towing, I know the mpg and simple math. Since this is not a separate tank, I don't worry about the extra fuel, as it is not stagnate, and usually fuel up between a 1/4 to a 1/2 tank, which is what I normally do. Also, when not needing it, you don't have to fill the tank all the way up.

At least for my year RAM, the fuel indicator can not be changed to the bigger tank size.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 02-03-2023 at 08:16 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    I have the Titan 50 gallon OEM replacement tank on my truck, and for the first 150-200 miles, the gauge shows full, then once the fuel level gets to what the OEM tank size was, it is accurate from that point on. It really isn't rocket science to know that you are getting, say 11 mpg towing, and use that number as a base for the extra fuel you are carrying. My OEM tank was 32 gallons, and with the 50 gallon tank, I know that while towing, I have an extra 198 miles (18 gallons), although I usually just use 10 mpg for simplicity. Same for when I am not towing, I know the mpg and simple math. Since this is not a separate tank, I don't worry about the extra fuel, as it is not stagnate, and usually fuel up between a 1/4 to a 1/2 tank, which is what I normally do. Also, when not needing it, you don't have to fill the tank all the way up.

At least for my year RAM, the fuel indicator can not be changed to the bigger tank size.
    Does your RAM have a "fuel used" calculator? I use that on my GMC all the time. It can be off by as much as a gallon at times so don't run it on the ragged edge, but it's far more useful than a fuel gauge IMO.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Tim View Post
    That is why I've keep my 2003 Duramax, No extra emissions or Def required. All diesels after 2010 require DEF.
    Ram didn't start using DEF in the 2500-3500 until 2013.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are diesels that difficult?

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    With Ford I have an app that can change many of the settings on the truck including the tank size, perhaps there is one for GMC?
    Edit: to clarify, this is a third party app called ForScan so it is not provided by Ford directly. But with an OBD connector it is easy to change things like folding mirrors upon lock, fuel tank size, actual temps on trans and oil gauges, etc...
    For GMC or Chevy you can’t make any ECM adjustments. I replaced the stock 36 gallon tank last July with an S&B 62 gallon tank. I love it. It uses the same sending unit do the gauge reads fine. Only thing the is the dte or distance to empty that is wrong. It fits in place perfect and has been perfect. Empty I will get between 900 and 1100 miles a tank. Regarding the filter, there is a filter on the sending unit and another filter right in front of the tank.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast