User Tag List

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another added benefit with the diesel that I did not see mentioned here is the exhaust brake which is a very nice feature to have.
    2021 GD Reflection 28BH
    2021 Ford F-250 CCSB 6.7L

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanisM1956 View Post
    DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) is not an option in newer diesel trucks. You are required by law to use it. If you run out, the computer will shut down the truck and you will operate at idle speeds until you refilled it. DEF is readily available at Walmart, Sam's Club, auto parts stores, or fuel stops. It costs $21 for a 2.5 gal jug. The DEF tank/fill tube is marked by a blue cap. Next time a big rig goes by look for the blue capped DEF tank. They have to use it also. When towing (10,000lbs) I go through 1 DEF tank (7 gals) to 4 tanks (33 gal) of fuel. When not towing a DEF tank lasts a long time.
    I have NEVER paid anywhere close to that price. Most of the time it has been around 8.00 a 2.5 jug. Last time it went up some around 10-11.00.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I have NEVER paid anywhere close to that price. Most of the time it has been around 8.00 a 2.5 jug. Last time it went up some around 10-11.00.
    Neither have I, Walmart is $11 for a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF, and as long as the DEF meets the minimum requirements, no reason to pay twice the price for the same thing unless you want some snake oil in it. Over 200K miles using a lot of the Walmart DEF, and have never had an issue.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 11-30-2022 at 07:33 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $19.98 for Blue DEF at the Walmart and Harbor Freight here in NH. $10.92 for Walmart generic brand - last time I was in, sold out. BJs is sold out - store 25 miles away is at $14.49 for Blue DEF. Costco doesn't sell it here. Over $20 at the auto parts stores and Tractor Supply ($14 for generic) . Northeast is higher in everything regardless of store.
    Last edited by ajg617; 11-30-2022 at 07:42 AM.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Not so sure about that.
    Going from memory here, I have not checked recently...
    When I bought the truck (2019) I went on the website for the local diesel stations that I use. They are relatively large chain stations. They gave a spec of winterized to -20F or -30F. Like you, we have reached a pleasant -40F. Cold spots in low lying areas, I have found local differences of 20F or more over a mile or so as I drive. Your mix might be a better formula.

Been to Thunder Bay several times, very nice area. Used to go to what is now called Sleeping Giant PP, and there is a Canyon park too. Beautiful.
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I disagree that the Diesel will require more maintenance.
    Generally, I think you are correct. My thinking is biased because I just did an oil change. The 15 or 16 qts required does add up. Plus, since I am keeping this one for awhile, everything is done by the book. This makes it 'feel' like it's more to me. I am spending more on it.
    I'll say it's a bit more, but not extreme.
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    Going from memory here, I have not checked recently...
    When I bought the truck (2019) I went on the website for the local diesel stations that I use. They are relatively large chain stations. They gave a spec of winterized to -20F or -30F. Like you, we have reached a pleasant -40F. Cold spots in low lying areas, I have found local differences of 20F or more over a mile or so as I drive. Your mix might be a better formula.

Been to Thunder Bay several times, very nice area. Used to go to what is now called Sleeping Giant PP, and there is a Canyon park too. Beautiful.
    Rob
    All the vaccination rules are gone now so please come back up (well...maybe in a few months, kinds chilly now). I know CG's are missing the American tourists/fishermen/hunters.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the vaccination rules are gone now so please come back up (well...maybe in a few months, kinds chilly now). I know CG's are missing the American tourists/fishermen/hunters.
    You mean you don't need a vaccination booklet, or proof of vaccination to cross the border now? Been to Thunder Bay a couple times, several decades ago, back when it still was a pretty stinky place. Paper mills and such.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow he must buy the premium stuff even though it's all the same 2 ingredients.
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the vaccination rules are gone now so please come back up
    Temporary hijack-

We used to make a yearly trip around the Great Lakes when I was younger and tent camping. Lots of great memories going all over Ontario. Made it all the way to Hearst and found out it does not get fully dark at night in the summer. We also grew to like the push button soda cans.... Don't know if those still exist.
    Never made the trip in the RV now that my tent days are gone. It's on my list, but I want to go for 3 or 4 weeks this time. It will have to wait for retirement.

Back on track. There are a lot of solid advantages to the diesel that were discussed. Its a personal choice depending on what you tow, how often and where. I made the switch when I went to a fifth wheel trailer. Then again, I like a little overkill when I can get it.

Rob.
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast