User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PullRite Super Rails anyone?

Anyone running removable super rails with their rail style 5er hitch? I like the idea and being "industry standard" they should work with just about any hitch.

I am trying to plan ahead and would rather not buy another hitch in a cple years. If I go with a rail style hitch I can take it to the next truck. I would also like a clean truck bed at times...aka no permanent rails.

Called B&W today and the stationary Companion (OEM puck style or rail type) is not compatible with the Turning Point kingpin that is on our coach. The very friendly gal on the line said I would need the slider. It's costly and heavy from what I see.

Back to the drawing board. Talk to me experienced people! Not buying multiple hitches and having a clean truck bed is important. Aside from that whatever hitch it is needs to work with the Turning Point. Not too much to ask!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitexc View Post
    Called B&W today and the stationary Companion (OEM puck style or rail type) is not compatible with the Turning Point kingpin that is on our coach. The very friendly gal on the line said I would need the slider. It's costly and heavy from what I see.
    AFAIK, the slider and the fixed hitch use the same head... can't imagine why she would have said that.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought...I'm thinking it was more of a shortbed truck pulling a 5er thing. With pinbox placement and stationary hitch adjustability, along with most new 5er front caps being shapely to allow max turning, slider hitches seem to be taking a back seat until you get into real heavy towing. Again I am new to this so just an observation.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Whitexc,

I have a F-350 6.75' box pulling a 150 Series 295RL with the Turning Point unlocked. I use a Curt A16 hitch with Ford puck mount legs.

The most important thing to consider when selecting a hitch to use with the Turning Point is that the factory wedge is not compatible with all hitches. There is a chart in the Turning Point manual which show the correct wedge for hitches that do not accept the factory wedge.

For example, the Curt A16 uses the Reese 31016 wedge (Curt also has a compatible wedge).

Not all hitch dealers or RV salespeople are aware of this, so be sure to verify that the factory wedge will work with whatever hitch you choose.

Hope this helps.
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the Companion hitches that lock into the B&W goose neck mount are not recommended for the Turning Point (set-ups that use a wedge), but I don't remember seeing the same restriction for the OEM puck models.

B&W OEM Puck Companion manual: https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/sit...nual%20web.pdf
    B&W turnover Companion manual: https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/sit...nual%20web.pdf (wedge warning on pg 5)
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the links.

Called eTrailer today and had a chat with a nice young lady about the Companion. She was pretty confident the stationary unit for the Ram factory puck system was ok for use with the Sidewinder and Turning Point kingpins. The Turning Point manual does list a wedge for use with B&W hitches.

I am leaning towards the factory puck install and the Companion with a new plug in the bed as well. One day soon this will be my final answer!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitexc View Post
    Thanks for the links.

Called eTrailer today and had a chat with a nice young lady about the Companion. She was pretty confident the stationary unit for the Ram factory puck system was ok for use with the Sidewinder and Turning Point kingpins. The Turning Point manual does list a wedge for use with B&W hitches.

I am leaning towards the factory puck install and the Companion with a new plug in the bed as well. One day soon this will be my final answer!
    All trucks that have a puck or rail system installed, and you use a hitch that utilizes the pucks, or rail, will work with the sidewinder. The reason you can not use a hitch that attaches by a single point (gooseneck ball) is the lateral forces on the hitch plate from the sidewinder will rotate the whole hitch, which is a bad thing. If you lock the sidewinder, which makes it like any normal pin box, than you can use any type of hitch.

I use a Sidewinder on my RAM with a Reese hitch using the puck system.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 12-01-2022 at 08:50 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles