User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    It is.... but it does add extra rear leafs, rear stabilizer bar, possibly upgraded springs and shocks (depending on other options selected), and like you said a bed mounted camper certification from the factory.

We too have no need for the certification, but, the beefed up suspension and rear factory stabilizer bar is well worth it in my opinion. Added a rear stabilizer to our current truck and it was a very noticeable upgrade when it came to highway rut, truck and trailer tracking control, and eliminating 90% of the factory antisway nany that uses the anti-lock brake system and wears heavily on the rear brakes.
    I wonder if it would have the same positive effect towing with a dually?

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2013 Outback 300RB
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldcow View Post
    Hello all. I've been talking about buying a truck for years and I think it's time.

I think I am finally ready to pull the trigger on a platinum F350 or 450. There really is no difference in price here in Canada. I've read pretty well everything on these in the past 4 years and am well aware of the differences in the trucks and am mostly interested in the 450 for the turning radius. I am however still thinking about vibrations, wandering associated with the 450... In any case, that will be for me to decide which one.

I assume it is a given I should order the wheel well liners?

What about the "customer placed trailer camera?

The max reclining seats is a $500 CAD option. Not sure that is worth it but the way it's presented seems like the seat with this option also offers more adjustment settings.

The individual trailer TPMS is $575. Is that worth it or is an aftermarket solution cheaper and or better understanding I would add another screen. I have also read that there could be issues transmitting the data with a longer trailer.

Anything I really need to consider I may be missing?

Thanks for any input.

Oldcow
    Regarding the camera/TPMS. I ordered both for my truck. Both come with all parts and wire harness. I believe the newer model trailer TPMS also comes with a yaw sensor.
    MY trailer camera only works under 3-5 mph or in reverse. I think the new models allow you to view while in motion. Depending on the length of your trailer, you may have to obtain an extension or route the harness the shortest way.
    TPMS; you will have to break the bead on the tires and install the sensors. Unless Ford has changed, the sensors are for the normal "small" hole so you will have to buy the large valve stem if your trailer has the large hole.
    Both have worked great over the years; camera is good and tire pressure shows up all the time. Its nice not having the extra receivers all around the dash.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    If it was me, I'd skip the factory TPMS and just get the TST 507. Cheaper, relatively small, and works great. If you have the TST display with you, you can check the tire pressures without the truck too. My 5th wheel is parked in my barn, so can check the pressures any time I want to with the display in hand.
    I own and use a TST 507 system, and yes I agree its nice. But the color screen I have can be hard to see at times and takes up space on my console/dash. Assuming it is more accurate and displays more info than the factory TPMS (never owned one), I still like having one place to monitor all truck/trailer monitor-able road activity in one place, and keeping all available crew cab real-estate open for other things. Not to mention the removing/installing of tire valves sensors (for air/storage) and the charging/wiring of the display during use.

To me, its always location/location/location with little or no distraction. Just like keeping it simple by only having to worry about DW.... she too can take up some real-estate and the occasional....you know.....
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if it would have the same positive effect towing with a dually?

Oldcow

If your talking about the ABS related anti-sway nany compared to an actual sway-bar, then yes. Not sure, but DRWs might come with them anyways. Having the extra DRW wheels/width does help with ruts so the anti-sway is more limited in that situation. Still, I would assume body roll from added weight shift could still improve on DRWs with an actual anti-sway bar.

On my F150, prior to installing the aftermarket Helwig bar, had to replace the rear brakes after only 75k of driving, of which 30k of that was towing. Noticed the rear pads wearing significantly more during the last 30k. My other trucks Ive owned without electronic anti-sway, never had too till over 100k and then it was mostly to place newer pads on them due to age but not so much for wear.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all. I've been talking about buying a truck for years and I think it's time.

I think I am finally ready to pull the trigger on a platinum F350 or 450. There really is no difference in price here in Canada. I've read pretty well everything on these in the past 4 years and am well aware of the differences in the trucks and am mostly interested in the 450 for the turning radius. I am however still thinking about vibrations, wandering associated with the 450... In any case, that will be for me to decide which one.

I assume it is a given I should order the wheel well liners?

What about the "customer placed trailer camera?

The max reclining seats is a $500 CAD option. Not sure that is worth it but the way it's presented seems like the seat with this option also offers more adjustment settings.

The individual trailer TPMS is $575. Is that worth it or is an aftermarket solution cheaper and or better understanding I would add another screen. I have also read that there could be issues transmitting the data with a longer trailer.

Anything I really need to consider I may be missing?

Thanks for any input.

Oldcow
    Get the wheel well liner. If you ever drive in mud, wet sand or snow (even once), it's worth it. Easier to clean helps with road debris build up.

Trailer camera is up to you. It's wired so it does require some figuring out. I got it but never installed it.

Max reclining seats are nice when you need them. But if you don't spend a long time in your truck and take naps or sleep in it, you probably won't just it.

The Ford TTPMS is a better system as the sensor is inside the tire vs externally on valve. It's just more accurate (especially temp). But you have to install and possibly replace valve stems.

Make sure you get the Trailer Pro Backup assist. It does more than just back up the trailer with a nob (although that really does come in handy when you're in a tight spot or the wife is driving). The yaw sensor assists with sway control and the camera views are better (why Ford doesn't allow the split view reverse without the trailer back up enabled is beyond me).

As far as 350 vs 450, both are great. For the 450, turning radius is #1 reason for sure, and I can attest 100% that saved me dozens of times in small parks. But remember, you get the higher gear ratio, bigger brakes (huge), and a heavier axle and front end. The tires suck and follow grooves on road and wander, but is manageable. Remember the 450 does not have TPMS on the truck itself. So you may send up with a aftermarket TPMS (I did). This is my experience towing over 15k last two years and 30k on truck.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    Get the wheel well liner. If you ever drive in mud, wet sand or snow (even once), it's worth it. Easier to clean helps with road debris build up.

Trailer camera is up to you. It's wired so it does require some figuring out. I got it but never installed it.

Max reclining seats are nice when you need them. But if you don't spend a long time in your truck and take naps or sleep in it, you probably won't just it.

The Ford TTPMS is a better system as the sensor is inside the tire vs externally on valve. It's just more accurate (especially temp). But you have to install and possibly replace valve stems.

Make sure you get the Trailer Pro Backup assist. It does more than just back up the trailer with a nob (although that really does come in handy when you're in a tight spot or the wife is driving). The yaw sensor assists with sway control and the camera views are better (why Ford doesn't allow the split view reverse without the trailer back up enabled is beyond me).

As far as 350 vs 450, both are great. For the 450, turning radius is #1 reason for sure, and I can attest 100% that saved me dozens of times in small parks. But remember, you get the higher gear ratio, bigger brakes (huge), and a heavier axle and front end. The tires suck and follow grooves on road and wander, but is manageable. Remember the 450 does not have TPMS on the truck itself. So you may send up with a aftermarket TPMS (I did). This is my experience towing over 15k last two years and 30k on truck.
    This "The tires suck and follow grooves on road and wander, but is manageable" is what is making my decision difficult.

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2013 Outback 300RB
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This "The tires suck and follow grooves on road and wander, but is manageable" is what is making my decision difficult.

Oldcow
    Eh, it's certainly a factor to consider and does stiffen the ride a bit, but it's not bad enough where I'd go back to a 350/3500 just because of it. It's fine on 95% of the roads out there. Where it's not fun is on those "grooved" roads like Michigan loves to use and when a road is being resurfaced. I've only run I to a situation once where I was concerned about it and that was a road being resurfaced, and around a curve, and over a bridge. I was also going a little faster than I should have been...

Can you test drive a truck with the 19.5 tires (450,550 or a 4500/5500 of the other bands)? That's really the only way to know if it's not for you.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    Eh, it's certainly a factor to consider and does stiffen the ride a bit, but it's not bad enough where I'd go back to a 350/3500 just because of it. It's fine on 95% of the roads out there. Where it's not fun is on those "grooved" roads like Michigan loves to use and when a road is being resurfaced. I've only run I to a situation once where I was concerned about it and that was a road being resurfaced, and around a curve, and over a bridge. I was also going a little faster than I should have been...

Can you test drive a truck with the 19.5 tires (450,550 or a 4500/5500 of the other bands)? That's really the only way to know if it's not for you.
    Unfortunately there are no trucks to try where I am from. If i Could it would solve everything. Price between both models is less than $1K.

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2013 Outback 300RB
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    I own and use a TST 507 system, and yes I agree its nice. But the color screen I have can be hard to see at times and takes up space on my console/dash. Assuming it is more accurate and displays more info than the factory TPMS (never owned one), I still like having one place to monitor all truck/trailer monitor-able road activity in one place, and keeping all available crew cab real-estate open for other things. Not to mention the removing/installing of tire valves sensors (for air/storage) and the charging/wiring of the display during use.

To me, its always location/location/location with little or no distraction. Just like keeping it simple by only having to worry about DW.... she too can take up some real-estate and the occasional....you know.....
    To each his own. My TST 507 sits in its cradle at in the corner by the A-pillar so out of the way. I charge it the night before in the RV so no wires on the dash. I've had Ford TPMS sensor failures before which are pretty expensive fix. I don't mind the cap sensors for the trailer tires. Can also move them to my enclosed utility trailer when taking that on long trips.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered the f450 as well. Looking forward to the improved turning radius and the 360 cameras.

We also skipped the full recline seats. Current f350 (2011) has fine seats and have never felt the need to recline flat.

We've been happy with the 6.7 engine, so I was very happy to see they are sticking with that platform for 2023.

Now the real question becomes when will the build actually get scheduled....[emoji846]

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast