User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 2023 Solitude 345GK and GMC 3500 5th wheel question

We are in the process of purchasing a 345GK to pull behind our 2022 GMC 3500 SRW. I'm looking at the B&W Companion puck install. The question is, should I get the slider or fixed. The dealer said both would work, so I'm looking for a 2nd (or 3rd) opinion.

Sorry I forgot...It's a standard (short) bed.
    Last edited by jrowlan; 11-29-2022 at 06:17 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrowlan View Post
    We are in the process of purchasing a 345GK to pull behind our 2022 GMC 3500 SRW. I'm looking at the B&W Companion puck install. The question is, should I get the slider or fixed. The dealer said both would work, so I'm looking for a 2nd (or 3rd) opinion.
    Is it a short bed? If so I'd recommend a slider. If it is a long bed, then no slider. Just my opinion.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While many newer fifth wheel front ends are angled to minimize contacting the truck cab you can never go wrong with a slider in a short bed truck.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am solidly in the slider category. The kind that is automatic; simply because the first time you 'think' things will be OK will be the first time you camper and the truck have a meeting.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with going with a slider and that B&W is a quality product. I had a short bed and used a Pullrite Superglide with it so I never had to remember to get out to activate the slide mechanism. I was super happy with it and it was well built and customer service was great. I’d not hesitate to get another if I ever needed one.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrowlan View Post

Sorry I forgot...It's a standard (short) bed.
    With the B&W Companion you can adjust it to allow it to sit back. With the single point I can adjust mine up to 7" behind the gooseneck attachment. I would look to see what you can do with the puck system but if I recall it is 5". In my RAM I have mine at 5" back and have backed into some pretty tight places without any issues. Just remember that a slider will be very heavy and you are towing with a SRW and need to be weight conscious so you don't overload your rear axle.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had a short bed truck since 2003 with a slider hitch. I never used the slider option.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are going to be tight on payload with that unit with a SRW unit. The slider is a very heavy unit. The new Chevy standard be units are 6'9" long and the puck system place the BW hitch just aft of the axle and mine is set fullly toward the rear. I went with the BW non slider because of the weight as I wanted to be able to install and remove without some sort of lifting device. Also another 100 pounds or so of payload can't hurt. I can get to almost 90 degrees with it and you really should not really need to do that. Here are some pictures to show you what it is capable of in non slider form. The front of the truck is actually going up hill a bit in these photos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2446.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	44010

Name:	IMG_2448.jpeg 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	44011

Name:	IMG_2447.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	44012

Name:	IMG_2445.jpeg 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	44013
    Last edited by nprario; 11-30-2022 at 01:23 PM.
    2022 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4 Crew Cab Duramax with BW OEM non slide hitch
    2022 Reflection 31MB w custom 7000# axles, dual panhard rods and G rate tires.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taking Payload weights and space into consideration, would it make sense to look at an offset gooseball and a GooseBox or Gey Y hitch? This should give them clearance and a much lighter system than a slider hitch.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nprario View Post
    You are going to be tight on payload with that unit with a SRW unit. The slider is a very heavy unit. The new Chevy standard be units are 6'9" long and the puck system place the BW hitch just aft of the axle and mine is set fullly toward the rear. I went with the BW non slider because of the weight as I wanted to be able to install and remove without some sort of lifting device. Also another 100 pounds or so of payload can't hurt. I can get to almost 90 degrees with it and you really should not really need to do that. Here are some pictures to show you what it is capable of in non slider form. The front of the truck is actually going up hill a bit in these photos

Name:	IMG_2446.jpeg 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	44010

Name:	IMG_2448.jpeg 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	44011

Name:	IMG_2447.jpeg 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	44012

Name:	IMG_2445.jpeg 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	44013
    Just a note on this that his Solitude is 5" wider than your reflection so he won't be able to get this close to 90 degrees. I can get to about 75 degrees or so.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast