Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight and Balance

Good afternoon folks,

Need some help and/or references. I have a GD 25G Toyhauler and looking to move to a GD 5er. I like the 376THS or potentially the new 336M. I have a RAM 2500 diesel with a 19K haul but only a 2000 payload. As I research the hitch weights on the 5ers, most if not all exceed my truck's stickered payload capacity. I've played around with my bike in positioning in the 25G and notice the changes when hauling.

Background, I'm a retired Army aviator who flew many different a/c both helos and planes (yes the Army has planes too). A major consideration is the CG or Center of Gravity of the helo or plane planning that goes into what you are carrying and where its loaded to as to maintain control of the a/c especially during take off and landings. I'm amazed that the manufacture's don't provide some type of loading documentation for planning where you put stuff on the trailers, especially the larger TH models. Buying a new truck with a 5er may push me out of this idea but I'd like to know more what I need.

my questions are; 1. Is the hitch weight of a trailer based on Max Gross weight or Empty Weight of the Trailer? I've been led to believe on the max.
    2. You can certainly change the weight on the hitch by loading more items to rear of the camper, my 925lb Indian in the back of a TH will certainly move the CG of the trailer or not putting as much water or other etc items in it. Is there a place to find loading tables on the trailers?

Appreciate any insight, references, or comments based on experiences you may have. thanks

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The advertised pin weights are empty - nothing, nada on board. I don't know who led you to believe otherwise. 23% of the trailer's GVWR is a good starting point to estimate the loaded pin weight of a fifth wheel. If loaded to GVWR, the pin weight on the 376TH will be north of 4,000 lbs. It is by no stretch of the imagination suited for a 3/4-ton truck - nor a SRW 1-ton for that matter. My first flight instructor had a little wooden plaque on his wall that said, "There are old pilots. There are bold pilots. There are no old, bold pilots." I'm sure you've heard it before.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The advertised hitch weight is based on an empty trailer. Actual hitch weights will vary depending on load, obviously. Figure 20% of weight for hitch weight and you'll rarely go too far wrong. My hitch weight is actually 17%, but you get the idea.

You can change the hitch weight by what you load, but less than you might imagine. If you're concerned about truck weight limits, either look for a smaller trailer, or a bigger truck. Moving things around is not going to help much if you're at the limit of your truck.

The 376THS is pretty much into 1 ton dually territory, IMO anyway. The 336M will put around 3,000 lbs. in the bed of your truck, how you deal with that is up to you.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob - I knew from the start my current truck wasn't going to work with the 376THS. 336M might have worked as its advertised at 2600lbs, with adding airbags, change up the tires but as the saying go, which I've heard many times, and fits into that category after 38 years of service, of I'm not going to go "bold" into hauling a trailer. I may stick with what i have now, works great and "hopefully" lasts long G25. My 2500 is only a 2020 with 30K on it. Not ready to buy another truck.

thanks again and thanks for your service!!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Howard, appreciate the response.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TugDriver View Post
    thanks Howard, appreciate the response.
    @TugDriver -

If you choose to spend more time on the forum (welcome, by the way!), here are a few hints:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

3) If you opt to get a paid membership, you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good afternoon folks,

Need some help and/or references. I have a GD 25G Toyhauler and looking to move to a GD 5er. I like the 376THS or potentially the new 336M. I have a RAM 2500 diesel with a 19K haul but only a 2000 payload. As I research the hitch weights on the 5ers, most if not all exceed my truck's stickered payload capacity. I've played around with my bike in positioning in the 25G and notice the changes when hauling.

Background, I'm a retired Army aviator who flew many different a/c both helos and planes (yes the Army has planes too). A major consideration is the CG or Center of Gravity of the helo or plane planning that goes into what you are carrying and where its loaded to as to maintain control of the a/c especially during take off and landings. I'm amazed that the manufacture's don't provide some type of loading documentation for planning where you put stuff on the trailers, especially the larger TH models. Buying a new truck with a 5er may push me out of this idea but I'd like to know more what I need.

my questions are; 1. Is the hitch weight of a trailer based on Max Gross weight or Empty Weight of the Trailer? I've been led to believe on the max.
    2. You can certainly change the weight on the hitch by loading more items to rear of the camper, my 925lb Indian in the back of a TH will certainly move the CG of the trailer or not putting as much water or other etc items in it. Is there a place to find loading tables on the trailers?

Appreciate any insight, references, or comments based on experiences you may have. thanks
    You will not get ANY Momentum 5th wheels to work with that truck.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @TubDriver. I was in Army helicopter tech inspector for 16 years and crew chief for 4 years and spent two years in Vietnam as door gunner. While in the QC shop I always was the weight and balance NCO. Yes you light on the truck side for most 5ers. Just wanted to say HI...
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob - I knew from the start my current truck wasn't going to work with the 376THS. 336M might have worked as its advertised at 2600lbs, with adding airbags, change up the tires but as the saying go, which I've heard many times, and fits into that category after 38 years of service, of I'm not going to go "bold" into hauling a trailer. I may stick with what i have now, works great and "hopefully" lasts long G25. My 2500 is only a 2020 with 30K on it. Not ready to buy another truck.

thanks again and thanks for your service!!
    Be aware that the specs I have seen on the 336M only show 2400 lbs CCC. Adding propane, water, gasoline, kitchen and other personal items, doesn't leave much extra for toys. We have the 374TH with 4500 lbs of CCC and are right at max without any heavy toys in our garage.
    Also I echo the others. Momentum 5ers are solidly in the 1 ton category.
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    @TugDriver -

If you choose to spend more time on the forum (welcome, by the way!), here are a few hints:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

3) If you opt to get a paid membership, you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    thanks and appreciate the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast