User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KamFlyer View Post
    Be aware that the specs I have seen on the 336M only show 2400 lbs CCC. Adding propane, water, gasoline, kitchen and other personal items, doesn't leave much extra for toys. We have the 374TH with 4500 lbs of CCC and are right at max without any heavy toys in our garage.
    Also I echo the others. Momentum 5ers are solidly in the 1 ton category.
    Yep- seems like I'm either headed for a bigger truck or lowering my expectations for a bigger toyhauler, that said my 25G is great, no issues from the start, 2 yrs old now (knock on wood). I may look at the larger bumper pull models but I sure like the layout 336M and 376THS. Waiting for feedback from new 336 owners isnt a bad idea either.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    @TubDriver. I was in Army helicopter tech inspector for 16 years and crew chief for 4 years and spent two years in Vietnam as door gunner. While in the QC shop I always was the weight and balance NCO. Yes you light on the truck side for most 5ers. Just wanted to say HI...
    Thanks Dennis and thank you for your service. I have a few hours in the Huey, but mostly Cobra and CH47 time. Was a maintenance officer/MTP for a number of years. My 2500 is pretty new, so upgrading now is not an option. I'll sit back a few and just watch things for bit. My wife still works so I'm not ready to do long durations trips yet.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I saw the title weight and balance I figured the poster would be a pilot.
    Regarding balance.....There have been some Momentum TH owners that find their toys in the garage make for too light a pin causing trailering stability issues. Just something to be aware of and research.
    Welcome to the forum!
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    When I saw the title weight and balance I figured the poster would be a pilot.
    Regarding balance.....There have been some Momentum TH owners that find their toys in the garage make for too light a pin causing trailering stability issues. Just something to be aware of and research.
    Welcome to the forum!
    FWIW, I've only been a member here for a little over a year, and I do kind of remember seeing a post from a Momentum owner having stability issues due to a light pin. I have a lighter than I would like pin, about 17%, but it's caused no stability problems at all. I don't believe stability issues is a common problem with the Momentum 5th wheel toy haulers.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TugDriver View Post
    Good afternoon folks,

Need some help and/or references. I have a GD 25G Toyhauler and looking to move to a GD 5er. I like the 376THS or potentially the new 336M. I have a RAM 2500 diesel with a 19K haul but only a 2000 payload. As I research the hitch weights on the 5ers, most if not all exceed my truck's stickered payload capacity. I've played around with my bike in positioning in the 25G and notice the changes when hauling.

Background, I'm a retired Army aviator who flew many different a/c both helos and planes (yes the Army has planes too). A major consideration is the CG or Center of Gravity of the helo or plane planning that goes into what you are carrying and where its loaded to as to maintain control of the a/c especially during take off and landings. I'm amazed that the manufacture's don't provide some type of loading documentation for planning where you put stuff on the trailers, especially the larger TH models. Buying a new truck with a 5er may push me out of this idea but I'd like to know more what I need.

my questions are; 1. Is the hitch weight of a trailer based on Max Gross weight or Empty Weight of the Trailer? I've been led to believe on the max.
    2. You can certainly change the weight on the hitch by loading more items to rear of the camper, my 925lb Indian in the back of a TH will certainly move the CG of the trailer or not putting as much water or other etc items in it. Is there a place to find loading tables on the trailers?

Appreciate any insight, references, or comments based on experiences you may have. thanks
    Under most circumstances you will need a bigger truck to tow the two 5th wheels you mentioned. The THS is 20K loaded. Pin weight is secondary to this. You need a 3500 chassis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TugDriver View Post
    Thanks Dennis and thank you for your service. I have a few hours in the Huey, but mostly Cobra and CH47 time. Was a maintenance officer/MTP for a number of years. My 2500 is pretty new, so upgrading now is not an option. I'll sit back a few and just watch things for bit. My wife still works so I'm not ready to do long durations trips yet.
    TugDriver,
    Towed with a Ram 2500 diesel for 17 years (max 12,000 lbs), and in hindsight I should have bought a 3500 for the long haul. On one of the forum's awhile back a guy posted a great list of tow vehicles and the weight the can tow. In this list they completely left off the 2500 diesel. If you needed more than a 2500 gasser could tow, jump straight to the 3500. I thought it was great advice.

Good luck in your travels.
    2021 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW Air-ride
    B&W 25k Companion puck system
    2012 Forest River Cardinal 3550RL
    39 months to retirement, WE WILL GET THERE!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    FWIW, I've only been a member here for a little over a year......
    Wow...a little over a year and over 2,000 posts. Thats a lot of typing!
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roegs01 View Post
    Wow...a little over a year and over 2,000 posts. Thats a lot of typing!
    Yeah, I'm a meddlesome SOB. LOL Opinionated too.
    Howard and Peggy

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not cheap, but this seems to be a reasonable solution to tow a fifth wheel trailer with a truck having a lighter than required payload.

Automated Safety Hitch https://fifthwheelst.com/automated-s...ch-system.html

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonywelle View Post
    Not cheap, but this seems to be a reasonable solution to tow a fifth wheel trailer with a truck having a lighter than required payload.

Automated Safety Hitch https://fifthwheelst.com/automated-s...ch-system.html
    Those have been around for 50 years or more, but have never seemed to gain any acceptance. I'm not sure why, but it would be interesting to see one in operation. I've never seen a one on the road.
    Howard and Peggy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12