User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2017 315 RLTS Frozen Hot Water

Hi everyone! Been cold weather camping for a long time. Been in the 315 for 5 yrs.. I am still fighting the hot water freezing. I have done everything I can think of. I have modified the underbelly heading system. Wrapped the water pipes , insulated water lines , insulated low points. I can drop the hot water and not freeze. Temps dropped to 12 last night. I am frozen and fought it for about 3.5 hrs...Temps will get to about 47 tomarrow and should that out. What does everyone else do ?
    I am pretty sure the plastic T is broken. Does anyone have some advice with dealing with plex ? We are still camping and will have to fix this at the camp ground if broken.... Thanks ! Scott
    Scott&Shelley Gillis (Pack Members.. Remington,Maggie,Molly,Rayne,Hannah,Cole,Gemma,
    Jayden,Dalton,Gavin,Cody and Yes they all camp with us!)
    2017 Reflection 315RLTS
    2005 2500 8.1l 410 Suburban Cold Air Intake, 8.mm MSD Wires, Cat Back System, Drilled and Sloted Rotors ,all Led Lighting. Hensly Mfg. TruControl brake controler.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried to add heated tape/wire under the insulation on all the pipes? You can also add skirting and a heater under the trailer when camping.

What kind of water pipe do you have? We have Pex. Neither the Pex or its fittings has burst on us despite freezing several times. What is Plex?
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for responding ! I have all the pipes I could reach covered in wrapped. I am not real fond of heat take...but may have to do it. The plastic T on the low points right above the coroplast in the front of the trailer is what keeps freezing up. I meant to type pex ...but type plex..which is a system we use at work.Sorry Scott

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you know exactly where it's freezing and can easily get to it, you have some more good choices:

You can try:
    - A small 400-600 watt electric heater;
    - An old style 100 to 200 watt incandescent heat lamp; or
    - A 100 watt incandescent light bulb (if you can find one).

I'd start with the light bulbs. If you have to go the heater route, get one with a thermostat (or buy a separate thermostat) so it doesn't over heat and start a fire in the area. Thermostats on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0182HW816...f-1d5ca861ad08

https://www.amazon.com/thermostat-he...tat+for+heater

Wrapping the pipes in insulation helps, but not if the temps stay really cold for too long. Insulation slows (but does not stop) heat transfer. I ran into this on my trailer..... look for my recent posts on the subject. It was a major project. I insulated and resealed the underbelly of my Imagine 18RBE, added heat tape and insulation to the pipes, AND increased the furnace duct from 2 to three inches. We go skiing out west, and I really like having running water, even if it is below zero and really windy outside. But we do a full electrical hook up when its that frigid.

One trick you can try is to leave the hot water running a trickle from the faucets. And leave the water heater on. And don't turn down the furnace at night.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott, a number of folks over the years have shared using this type of cover over the low point drains with some success.

https://www.frostking.com/products/p...m-faucet-cover

Possibly you are already insulating the exterior of the low point drain area in some manner but if not, maybe some research on using this type of product may be another option to consider. Hopefully some folks who have used this type of product will chime in. Maybe Rob @Second Chance may have some insight.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Canyonlight is correct. Our previous Reflection 337 had exposed low point drains. I wrapped them with a good rag and fastened one of the linked faucet covers over them. We didn't have an issue (with that location, anyway) after doing this. I have not replaced the T fitting, so don't have any advice on that. Our biggest issue was the water lines (both of them) leading back to the kitchen island. The heat duct leading back there had been flattened between the Coroplast and a frame crossmember. The water lines were also laying on top of the Coroplast with no insulation on top of the Coroplast. I put the tubular foam water pipe insulation on the kitchen water lines and added insulation on top of the Coroplast - didn't have any issues in that area after that, either.

Good luck - and stay warm!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a question for the group. Hot water just thawed out. I had low points very well insulated and it still froze. I took all that off and now just have the exposed low points wrapped in pipes insulation. Do you guys think I can just heat tape the exposed low points for a quick fix. Lows tonight are 32, but low fri night are 8. What do you guys think ? Thanks ! Scott

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGillis View Post
    Have a question for the group. Hot water just thawed out. I had low points very well insulated and it still froze. I took all that off and now just have the exposed low points wrapped in pipes insulation. Do you guys think I can just heat tape the exposed low points for a quick fix. Lows tonight are 32, but low fri night are 8. What do you guys think ? Thanks ! Scott
    Are you sure the low point drains are what's freezing and, if so, why just the hot?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually ...I think it is the cold water supply to hot water heater. There are 2 t fitting that sit right above the coroplast. I could heat the front low points drains and it would thaw out. I guess that I am not 100% sure. But that is were I thought it was..Anybody else have a guess?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGillis View Post
    Actually ...I think it is the cold water supply to hot water heater. There are 2 t fitting that sit right above the coroplast. I could heat the front low points drains and it would thaw out. I guess that I am not 100% sure. But that is were I thought it was..Anybody else have a guess?
    Anything that's above the Coroplast but below the floor in a Reflection is at risk. It could very well be the T fitting you're talking about.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015