User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

End of the year review of challenges and solutions with our 2019 22RBE trailer

Earlier this year, I participated in a discussion of challenges and mechanical issues with using our 2019 22RBE trailer. We are not full time nor are we weekenders. We travel. Our trips usually range from 7 days on the short end to 90 days on the longer trips. We split between dry camping and hookups.

Challenges were power management as our dry camping always exceeded our battery capacity. Water was not usually a problem unless we were camped with family that wanted to use the shower. The other challenge was the MORyde steps. We are older, larger folks and the rise of the steps and the weight of the steps during deployment were an issue. Also we ran into problems if we were overnighting and didn't want to leave the steps out.

Mechanical issues were the front crossmember of the trailer frame developed the known bow. Ours had not cracked as other owners of the XLS trailers have found. I only discovered the bowed crossmember after reading about the problem on this forum. My second and more distressing issue was that the rear axle had lost some of the bow that regulates toe in or out. My 6 month old Goodyears were scrubbed off on the inside of both tires.

fixes: The power management was mostly resolved with the addition of 2 100ah Battleborn batteries, 200 watts of rooftop solar and related hardware. I think a additional 200 watts of solar will be added in the spring. I also installed a 2000 watt inverter to keep the ice machine and coffee pot running.

The step issue was resolved by installing Torklift steps. They adjust much better and are easier to deploy and store. I know the cost is a factor but worth the money.

Mechanical issues: The bowed crossmember. I contacted Grand Design as the trailer was still under the 2 year structural warranty. The process was long as they required I take the trailer to a GD dealer for inspection. After inspection with a report from the dealer that the bow was not owner caused, GD contacted Lippert, the frame manufacturer. Photos, then texts with questions and finally authorization to have the bow repaired. Repairs completed by a local trailer building company. $500 (about 3 months process)

Trailer axle. Contacted GD. Not under their warranty nor Lipperts. Contacted Dexter directly. I had heard that Dexter had discontinued manufacture of 3000lb axles and has had a recall on them. Photos, texts with questions and then a response from Dexter. Long letter to let me know that they did not feel this was a warranty or manufacturing defect. HOWEVER at the very end of the letter they stated "We are, as a gesture of good faith, send you 2 new, complete 3500lb axles" Installation on you. (me). So after about 4 months of discussion, 2 new axles delivered to the same local trailer maker. Installed in one day. (I had other work done to stiffen the leaf spring hangers)

Long process, but happy with the outcome. Currently planning a cross country trip to family in Tennessee, with a bunch of stops to and from.

Happy Holidays to all.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post @mwfett, thanks for sharing. Glad you were able to resolve most of your issues. Good luck with your trip.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent!
    Way to stick with it and work it out. Sister to our MLE, this is a great read.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good read! Nice persistence getting things worked out so you can enjoy the trailer. I had a similar experience with Dexter on our old trailer and overall appreciated their customer service.

It's the hassle of warranty work that is so frustrating. I often just do things myself to avoid the hassle .. but not things like whole axles or frame work!
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwfett View Post
    Earlier this year, I participated in a discussion of challenges and mechanical issues with using our 2019 22RBE trailer. We are not full time nor are we weekenders. We travel. Our trips usually range from 7 days on the short end to 90 days on the longer trips. We split between dry camping and hookups.

Challenges were power management as our dry camping always exceeded our battery capacity. Water was not usually a problem unless we were camped with family that wanted to use the shower. The other challenge was the MORyde steps. We are older, larger folks and the rise of the steps and the weight of the steps during deployment were an issue. Also we ran into problems if we were overnighting and didn't want to leave the steps out.

Mechanical issues were the front crossmember of the trailer frame developed the known bow. Ours had not cracked as other owners of the XLS trailers have found. I only discovered the bowed crossmember after reading about the problem on this forum. My second and more distressing issue was that the rear axle had lost some of the bow that regulates toe in or out. My 6 month old Goodyears were scrubbed off on the inside of both tires.

fixes: The power management was mostly resolved with the addition of 2 100ah Battleborn batteries, 200 watts of rooftop solar and related hardware. I think a additional 200 watts of solar will be added in the spring. I also installed a 2000 watt inverter to keep the ice machine and coffee pot running.

The step issue was resolved by installing Torklift steps. They adjust much better and are easier to deploy and store. I know the cost is a factor but worth the money.

Mechanical issues: The bowed crossmember. I contacted Grand Design as the trailer was still under the 2 year structural warranty. The process was long as they required I take the trailer to a GD dealer for inspection. After inspection with a report from the dealer that the bow was not owner caused, GD contacted Lippert, the frame manufacturer. Photos, then texts with questions and finally authorization to have the bow repaired. Repairs completed by a local trailer building company. $500 (about 3 months process)

Trailer axle. Contacted GD. Not under their warranty nor Lipperts. Contacted Dexter directly. I had heard that Dexter had discontinued manufacture of 3000lb axles and has had a recall on them. Photos, texts with questions and then a response from Dexter. Long letter to let me know that they did not feel this was a warranty or manufacturing defect. HOWEVER at the very end of the letter they stated "We are, as a gesture of good faith, send you 2 new, complete 3500lb axles" Installation on you. (me). So after about 4 months of discussion, 2 new axles delivered to the same local trailer maker. Installed in one day. (I had other work done to stiffen the leaf spring hangers)

Long process, but happy with the outcome. Currently planning a cross country trip to family in Tennessee, with a bunch of stops to and from.

Happy Holidays to all.
    Isn't the structural warranty 3 years?
    Are you saying that you paid 500.00?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the structural warranty is 2 years. Lippert, through GD, reimbursed me for the $500 repair bill.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwfett View Post
    I believe the structural warranty is 2 years. Lippert, through GD, reimbursed me for the $500 repair bill.
    My Momentum manual states 3 years. I just looked up your manual and it states the same.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison