User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on grounding using Victron Lynx Distribution System

Looking at using the following equipment for Lithium batteries with Lynx Distribution System.
    Lynx Power-In
    LynxSmart Shunt 1000 VE.Can
    Lynx Distributor
    Orion TR Smart Isolated Charger
    Multiplus II
    MPPT Solar Charger
    Cerbo GX
    Cerbo Touch Screen 50

I've seen the ground done a couple different ways and wondering what thoughts people have on either way.

Power-In, Shunt and Distributor are all bolted together (creating one big busbar).
    Batteries and Equipment (except the Orion Charger) positive and negative wires are run to the Lynx Distributor.

One way, ground is run from Lynx Distributor to chassis and that's the only ground wire run. I have seen it done this way and place supplying the equipment suggested this method.

2nd way is to run ground from Lynx Distributor to Chassis, then run another ground wire from Power-In to Multiplus and then a ground from the Multiplus to the MPPT.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike and Marita
    2019 F350 Lariat CCSB 6.7L Diesel SRW
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
    Reese Elite 5th Airborne Sidewinder, Reese custom wedge, B&W Companion hitch

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are quite a few threads on this topic, try https://www.google.com/search?q=mygr...t=gws-wiz-serp
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran my chassis ground to my Power In (converted for fuses like the Lynx distributor). Ran the case ground from the MP to the Power In. The ground from the MPPT to the Power In as well.

2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to both of you for your responses. I've spent hours researching before and after posting my question and unable to find a definitive answer regarding grounding. I'm going to ground the frames of the Multiplus and MTTP to the Power-In negative busbar after seeing TerryH's post. In my case the Power-In is before the Lynx Shunt. According to Victron manual for the Distributor or the Multiplus, grounding should be after the Shunt. Don't know if they are referring to the busbar's chassis ground and the Multiplus frame ground is not what they are referring to. After reading similar questions in boating forums the American Boat and Yacht Standards says to ground to the device frames to the busbar and there is one connection from the busbar to the engine casing (chassis in our RV case). I'm still looking though for an explicit answer, including making sure the question to my equipment supplier and their answer is correctly understood on both our parts.
    Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
    Mike
    Mike and Marita
    2019 F350 Lariat CCSB 6.7L Diesel SRW
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
    Reese Elite 5th Airborne Sidewinder, Reese custom wedge, B&W Companion hitch