User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mod or Replace rear bumper on 22MLE to support 2 ebikes?

My apologies if this has already been answered in another thread! We have a 2021 22MLE trailer and are trying to determine if it's possible to add a hitch to the rear of the trailer to carry 2 ebikes. I'm looking for a solution that will support up to 200 pounds. I have a Hollywood Rack Sportrider Model HR1500 hitch for e-bikies. The rack weight is 58 pounds.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you feared, it has been discussed many times on the forum. There is no way the bumper on an Imagine travel trailer can handle a bike rack - much less ebikes. The best approach would be to have a class 3 hitch (2" tube) welded to the frame to accept an RV-rated ebike rack. The G-forces at the tack of a towable RV are incredible and, unless you want to damage or lose those expensive ebikes, anything you put them on has to be engineered to handle it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And, in the category of "joy kill" - check your manual! I Couldn't find one for the 1500 model, but the 1560 model on their web site says, on the site and in the manual: "Not to be used on any RV, trailer, fifth wheel or towed vehicle"

As Rob noted, the distance from the axels to the hitch are far greater on an RV, which greatly multiply the pounding forces. While some claim the prohibition on almost all racks being used on RV's is just a "CYA" by the rack makers lawyers, it IS a good piece of the market, so one would think they have actually tested and found a "car" model just doesn't stand up. I would not trust my multi-thousands of bikes on one that says not to. There are models that are sold for use on RV's, but ones also for heavy e-bikes are harder to find. Always check a racks manual before buying, sometimes that is the only place where the prohibition is noted.

Putting several 100's of pounds on the rear can reduce tongue weight in the front by a lot more, and may make the trailer prone to life threatening sway.

There are mounts for over the tongue that let you use your rack. They do help with upper body strength as you have to lift the bike pretty high.
    Some have put a hitch on the front of their tow vehicle, which also gets around the issue.

I take mine apart and keep in the bed of the truck. Not handy for overnight stops, though.
    Last edited by sande005; 12-02-2022 at 10:28 AM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback Rob.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great feedback! thanks.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NBTX64 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by NBTX64 View Post
    Great feedback! thanks.
    @NBTX64 -

You're welcome! I see you joined back in July but haven't posted much. Here are a few forum tips:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

3) If you elect to get a paid membership, you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Swagman espec rack is rated for eBike use on the back of an RV. Works great for me with two 60 lb eBikes on the back of our 312 bhts. The 312 came with a hitch receiver back there that is rated for 300 lbs. perfect.

Watching them in the rear camera they look rock solid back there.

The eBikes are just too heavy to put over the tongue or even up on the truck bed cover.

I had to turn the handlebars on one of the bikes to clear the back of the TT.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2541.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	44035
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put this on my RV.

And I use this rack (approved for 5th wheels).

I use this cover.

I did have to cut off the rear bumper first tho.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that cover that allows the tail lights to be seen through it. I added lights to the bike rack and tapped into the trailer wiring to power them.

Seems covering the bikes is a good idea so lights are a factor to consider.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    I like that cover that allows the tail lights to be seen through it. I added lights to the bike rack and tapped into the trailer wiring to power them.

Seems covering the bikes is a good idea so lights are a factor to consider.
    One year I used just a cover. The bikes got really filthy. So now I use the bag. When I do that on my truck I add extra lights since sometimes they can block the trucks lights. On the RV, since it is wide, no extra lights needed.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast