Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

378MBS-R converting outdoor kitchen area to storage

Hi all,
    My plan all along has been to convert the outdoor kitchen space to usable storage; maybe add a rack, shelves or even a MorRyde slide out tray. But first I need to get the cabinetry (is that a word?) out of there. Pulled the fridge and griddle, unscrewed every screw I could find and its still tight in there. I assume there are fasteners from behind the interior wall, but thought I'd ask before going any further.
    Anyone been there?
    Thanks,
    SteveM

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smullinax View Post
    Hi all,
    My plan all along has been to convert the outdoor kitchen space to usable storage; maybe add a rack, shelves or even a MorRyde slide out tray. But first I need to get the cabinetry (is that a word?) out of there. Pulled the fridge and griddle, unscrewed every screw I could find and its still tight in there. I assume there are fasteners from behind the interior wall, but thought I'd ask before going any further.
    Anyone been there?
    Thanks,
    SteveM
    Sounds like a good project Steve, have you reached out to GD customer service? They may be able to help you identify what needs to be unfastened to get the cabinets out.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of cabinetry in RVs is attached with pocket hole screws. I don't think they would waste time putting the pocket holes plugs in place prior to attaching the "stained look". If that doesn't help, agree with the idea of calling GD, better to call in the morning.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contacting GD cust service is next on the list......doesn't look like anyone else on the forum has tried this conversion.
    We already have a griddle and seldom use it so the storage space makes more sense to us than an outdoor kitchen.
    SteveM

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smullinax View Post
    Hi all,
    Anyone been there?
    Thanks,
    SteveM
    Is this the outdoor kitchen?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6374f05be3c18c75c037685d.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	44085

When you said MorRyde tray I figured it was a front bay kind of kitchen. And when you said cabinets I was puzzled even more, so I went searching.

Seems to me the only cabinet" is that drawer type affair the grill slides into. If that is really the case maybe just re-purpose it into a drawer for storing things.

I really feel like I am missing something here as the original post seems to make me thing there are lots of cabinets.

If this is indeed the kitchen, then a multipurpose tool will make quick work of cutting that drawer out at the floor level. But there could be hidden screws behind it. You have to realize, a lot of these cabinets and such are installed before walls are put up so the builders can get to places we never can.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Is this the outdoor kitchen?

Name:	6374f05be3c18c75c037685d.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	44085

When you said MorRyde tray I figured it was a front bay kind of kitchen. And when you said cabinets I was puzzled even more, so I went searching.

Seems to me the only cabinet" is that drawer type affair the grill slides into. If that is really the case maybe just re-purpose it into a drawer for storing things.

I really feel like I am missing something here as the original post seems to make me thing there are lots of cabinets.

If this is indeed the kitchen, then a multipurpose tool will make quick work of cutting that drawer out at the floor level. But there could be hidden screws behind it. You have to realize, a lot of these cabinets and such are installed before walls are put up so the builders can get to places we never can.
    That is what my outdoor "kitchen" looks like on my 2022 378MBS so you have the correct picture.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    That is what my outdoor "kitchen" looks like on my 2022 378MBS so you have the correct picture.

Rob
    Thanks for that. So, for sure, I'd just convert that grill cabinet to a drawer and put shelves in the rest.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that is the kitchen in a 378.
    I'm wanting to pull out the entire factory setup and start from the "floor" up. I could whack it out of there with a sawzall or oscillating tool, but I would rather be able to re-install the components to factory original when it comes time to trade or sell.
    And when I mentioned adding a sliding tray, I was envisioning something like they offer for generators and portable freezers in motorhome basements.
    This project is on hold for a bit until I sort out our leaking Thetford toilet.....6 weeks new and leaking around the base of the bowl. Of course all the local mobile techs are booked for 7-10 days.
    SteveM

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Thanks for that. So, for sure, I'd just convert that grill cabinet to a drawer and put shelves in the rest.
    That is what I did in our 378. I built a full depth drawer from maple and used self-closing drawer slides. I guessed at the stain color by mixing two different colors together - close, but not exact.. I did have to change the drawer pull in the photo to a leather strap as every conventional pull I tried interfered with the back of the slam latch. I store our Blackstone and Solo Stove above the drawer. We kept the fridge because we load it up with beverages.

Name:	ODK.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	44088
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    That is what I did in our 378. I built a full depth drawer from maple and used self-closing drawer slides. I guessed at the stain color by mixing two different colors together - close, but not exact.. I did have to change the drawer pull in the photo to a leather strap as every conventional pull I tried interfered with the back of the slam latch. I store our Blackstone and Solo Stove above the drawer. We kept the fridge because we load it up with beverages.

Name:	ODK.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	44088
    Fsalmy,
    You have me re-thinking my project.....that outside drawer could be very functional. Since we don't use the fridge the rest of that space becomes storage. Then add a 21" sliding tray in the pass thru for storage boxes, tools, etc. You can probably tell I like those sliding trays....added one to our MH and it was a real back saver.
    2022 Solitude 378-MBS-R, 8k axles and disc brake package, slide toppers, dual panes, 5.5kw Onan, W/D, 3rd AC/heat pump
    2023 F350 Lariat DRW on order, (canceled)
    2023 Chevy 3500 LTZ long bed Duramax, 12250 GVWR, 3867 cargo cap, Z71, 5th wheel prep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast