User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot water heater valve replacement

First all thank you for letting me join the forum. Question, I own a 2021 Momentum M350. How do I get to the backside of my hot water heater
    to change out the check valve? Do I have to remove the unit or is it possible to do it from the inside of the storage unit? Thank you all for
    your responses and help.
    Respectfully
    Rudy

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, and welcome to the forum. Access to the back of the water heater for changing the check valve will be through the baggage compartment. You will need to take down the wall, to your left as you are looking into the baggage compartment. Normally there are some screws holding everything in place and it's not terribly hard to do, other than squeezing into the compartment area. Make sure you replace it with a brass one.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Also, mentally prepare yourself to see the rats nest of wires. Good time to clean it up with some zip ties and take a look around to get familiar with what else is back there.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both for your response. If either of you mind can you please give me the specs of the valve size? I have the 12gal wtr htr... dont think that would make any difference.. again thx...will Home Depot or Loews carry it?...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put this on mine. I think they are all the same size. And now the can of worms about whether to use brass or not on the tank will start... Just put it on, the blow-off valve is brass too.

Chances are good you will find you have a plastic valve. And, therefore, a leak.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be 1/2" (should be anyway)
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a leak in mine a few months ago and trying to replace it while camping created quite a s-storm! The plastic valve sheared off right at the outer wall of the heater when I tried to back it out. This left me with no threads exposed. There was a mom and pop hardware store nearby where I purchased a 2" long, 1/2" threaded sprinkler riser and a cheap soldering iron. Used the soldering iron to melt out a few threads of the plastic valve and managed to get a water tight connection using the riser and a bunch of teflon tape. It held up fine for the remaining days of our trip but when I got home I used this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to drill out the hole and installed a brass valve.
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papiuno View Post
    Thank you both for your response. If either of you mind can you please give me the specs of the valve size? I have the 12gal wtr htr... dont think that would make any difference.. again thx...will Home Depot or Loews carry it?...
    I think they are pretty much all 1/2" MPT. I bought a new one on Amazon, even though mine was not leaking. I was going into the innards to change out a Converter/Charger and I thought, as long as I'm in here, the plastic one is coming out and getting a brass one. Hopefully it saved me another trip inside there in the future. I don't do cramped spaces nearly as well as when I was a young man.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papiuno View Post
    First, welcome to the forum!

I agree with the general sentiment here. Go brass. Put Teflon tape on the joint and there will be no galvanic corrosion. As traveldawg stated, the pressure relief is brass with zero ill affects.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has me looking at Amazon to proactively make this change. Is this the one folks are using? https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-P234...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast