Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5th wheel hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nprario View Post
    In post #8 you can see what kind of turning capability the BW OEM non slider is capable of in my 2022 3500 Silverado with the standard bed. This is the OEM hitch for the puck system and of course the Reflection not the Solitude.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...wheel-question
    Thanks, the pics are great!
    2022 Reflection 303rls
    2020 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsm180 View Post
    I bought my first 5th wheel 10 yrs ago, square front Keystone. I fell for the internet noise that you had to have a slider with a short bed, used the slider a couple times then quit, wasn't necessary. Bought a fixed Curt to stop the clunking of the slider, it was better but still clunked. Bought a Goose Box in 2018 and will never use anything else with a 5th wheel, the ride is night and day difference over a conventional 5th hitch.
    My B&W doesn't clunk at all. But I have often wondered if there is an advantage to "towing goose" over a regular 5th wheel hitch. Do you have any examples or whatever why goose is better?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the Pull-right slider and actually like it. You're not going to want to take it out of the bed too often, but I've done some pretty stupid things backing up and I haven't ended up with the Solitude inside the truck yet. With the extra width of the Solitude and me not being too experienced, I used the belt-and-suspenders method of hitch selection.
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW CC Short Bed, Power Stroke 6.7L
    Pullrite Superglide 16k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    My B&W doesn't clunk at all. But I have often wondered if there is an advantage to "towing goose" over a regular 5th wheel hitch. Do you have any examples or whatever why goose is better?
    The most notable plus, there is little to no sway or swerve when an 18 wheeler passes. I can only attribute it to the lower attach point of the goose ball. The ride is much smoother, but that is due to the air bag and shocks. There is no clunking, it is completely quiet. The goose ball weighs 8lbs and stores behind the seat, 30 sec and I have my bed back.
    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my recent experience selecting a hitch for my 303rls and 2023 Silverado HD

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...advice-request
    2020 Reflection 303RLS "Betty Roy"
    2023 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6L Duramax " "
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"
    2017 Great Dane mix "Nibbler", 2018 English Lab "Hamilton"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve towed with Curt, B&W & Reese. All were hard mount hitches and all were easy to hitch/unhitch. 3 years ago we went to a Hensley Trailer-Saver BD5-F… It’s a total game changer! Absolutely no comparison to any of the hard mount hitches. I’ve never (not once) heard anybody who switched to the suspended hitch say anything other than what I’m saying here. In my experience (a half dozen trailers over 25 years), it’s the best towing experience possible. It’s the smoothest, most consistent pull you can hope to find. The BD5 hitch coupled with the Morryde IS produces an unrivaled road experience… just amazing how much better it is than everything else.

That said, the BD5 is heavy, expensive and needs a little more maintenance (although not much). If you want the best possible ride for you, your passengers and your coach, this is the hitch. Maybe not as important with the smaller, lighter coaches… but still amazing.
    2021 Solitude 380FL (Morryde IS)
    2022 F-450
    Hensley BD-5F

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a B&W Companion. 2018 Ram "puck" system. I like the hitch. Only one complaint. It is really heavy. I have to use a hoist to install it.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper61 View Post
    I am moving from a travel trailer to a 303rls 5th wheel. I have never had a 5th wheel before now so I am not 100% sure what type of hitch I need. Looking for some advice. I have a 2020 Denali with the 6'8" bed. Do I need a slide hitch or will a fixed hitch work? I have been given a couple options by the shop doing the install. One is the Pullrite SuperGlide and the other is a B & W Companion fixed hitch. Thank you in advance for any feedback.
    I have a Pullrite Super Glide 16K and pleased with it. Not sure you need a slider though with a 303 and your Denali. The only complaint I have about the Pullrite is the weight. It’s pretty heavy to R&R out of the truck box. If I replaced it, I would not get another slider. Too heavy and not needed with a 303 and my truck.
    Last edited by Canadiansteelman; 12-10-2022 at 03:01 PM.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, PullRite 16K Superglide, 2022 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMitt70 View Post
    I’ve towed with Curt, B&W & Reese. All were hard mount hitches and all were easy to hitch/unhitch. 3 years ago we went to a Hensley Trailer-Saver BD5-F… It’s a total game changer! Absolutely no comparison to any of the hard mount hitches. I’ve never (not once) heard anybody who switched to the suspended hitch say anything other than what I’m saying here. In my experience (a half dozen trailers over 25 years), it’s the best towing experience possible. It’s the smoothest, most consistent pull you can hope to find. The BD5 hitch coupled with the Morryde IS produces an unrivaled road experience… just amazing how much better it is than everything else.

That said, the BD5 is heavy, expensive and needs a little more maintenance (although not much). If you want the best possible ride for you, your passengers and your coach, this is the hitch. Maybe not as important with the smaller, lighter coaches… but still amazing.
    This is what we use. I agree that the ride is smooth, quiet, with no chucking. It is a little expensive, but why use a cheap connection between two expensive toys.
    2019 F250 6.2L 4.30 4x4 CCSB Lariat
    2019 FW Reflection 28BH
    Hensley Trailersaver BD3F
    2011 Ford Flex Ltd
    2011 Rockwood Premier 2516G

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a slider hitch if half the with of your camper cap is equal or more than the distance from the center of your hitch attachment point to your truck window/cab shell. Some caps are clipped at the bottom but that needs to be as high as the top of your cab shell. There are thousands of people that have listened to Know it all`s that broke out their windows cause bubba on the forum board or the salesman said I didn`t need one. Don`t listen to anybody go measure YOUR truck/camper combination and do the calculations. They won`t be there to say opps sorry.
    Backing in at night, tight, on uneven ground will prove this to be true and you will have to do it at some point.
    Last edited by bshgto; 12-10-2022 at 04:09 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast