Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5th wheel hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper61 View Post
    I am moving from a travel trailer to a 303rls 5th wheel. I have never had a 5th wheel before now so I am not 100% sure what type of hitch I need. Looking for some advice. I have a 2020 Denali with the 6'8" bed. Do I need a slide hitch or will a fixed hitch work? I have been given a couple options by the shop doing the install. One is the Pullrite SuperGlide and the other is a B & W Companion fixed hitch. Thank you in advance for any feedback.
    I have a 2021 303RLS that I pull with a 2020 GMC Denali 2500hd L5P. This is my first 5th wheel too. I have the Demco 21K Auto SLIDING hitch installed in the factory puck system. This combo is a dream towing and pulling. I suggest you get a sliding hitch with the standard truck bed. The only downfall of the Demco is that you lose your truck bed, unless you take out the hitch when not towing, but it's heavy.
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th wheel
    2020 GMC Denali 2500HD - 6.6L Duramax/10 Speed Allison
    Demco 21K Auto Slide 5th wheel hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CampKeri View Post
    This is what we use. I agree that the ride is smooth, quiet, with no chucking. It is a little expensive, but why use a cheap connection between two expensive toys.
    @TMitt70 and @CampKeri are right. If you don’t go with a slider, I’d get an air hitch. Between it and the MORRyde pin box, you don’t feel the trailer hit bumps. It isolates each from the shocks of the other. Major advantage for the (all-to-often) harsh bridge approaches. We don’t have the MORRyde IS yet, but coming up this winter.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears that I am 1 of the few that use a manual slider…..and like it.

I have a 2017 F350 SRW short bed pulling a 2017 Reflection 337RLS. I use a B&W puck mounted manual slider.

On the road with slide in the travel position, I can make any 90 degree turn without worry. But I avoid tight U-turns, especially on uneven pavement where the truck and trailer are not on the same plain. Admittedly that seldom happens.

But in campgrounds it is a relief to know that I don’t have to worry as much about sharp turns with the slide in the rear position. Another advantage is that there is more room to hook up the umbilical cord with the tailgate down. And I don’t have as much to worry about the tailgate hitting the camper while hooking up at anything other than a straight on approach.

I had a friend that hit the 5th wheel and his truck cab this fall while backing into a tight spot. Luckily nothing but a little cosmetic damage to both, but still…..

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper61 View Post
    I am moving from a travel trailer to a 303rls 5th wheel. I have never had a 5th wheel before now so I am not 100% sure what type of hitch I need. Looking for some advice. I have a 2020 Denali with the 6'8" bed. Do I need a slide hitch or will a fixed hitch work? I have been given a couple options by the shop doing the install. One is the Pullrite SuperGlide and the other is a B & W Companion fixed hitch. Thank you in advance for any feedback.
    We have the same truck (your bed is actually 6'10.5") and a 2020 303rls. We went with the Andersen Ultimate Hitch. Absolutely no need for a slider hitch; i easily turn close to 90 degrees and the trailer does not hit the cab (comes close, but does not touch). We have hauled over some pretty terrible roads (ever been to Newfoundland?), up and down mountains and at regular highway speeds. No chucking, noises or any issues whatsoever.

We have been in some pretty tight campsites where we have unhitched and reconnected at 45 to 55 degrees - no worries about being within 10 degrees to connect. As far as connecting goes, could not be simpler, no need to do the 'test pull' (or whatever the heck its' called).

The hitch is in out of the truck bed in under 10 minutes and is easily handled as long as you can manage 40 lbs. (hanging on my garage wall at the moment, waiting for the next season to start).
    Andersen customer service is superb and super responsive. (needed a new coupler because of a wear issue - something you should regularly check). In less than 1 week from the time i first contacted them, i received the new part (all the way to Canada) at zero cost to me.
    For our set up, no contest - Andersen all the way. Hope this helps.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pull my Reflection 260RD with a GMC 3500 standard bed and use the B&W Companion OEM puck system hitch. I bought the slider but have never had to use it. I would like to sale the slider and get a fixed hitch if anyone is interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martybhawk View Post
    I pull my Reflection 260RD with a GMC 3500 standard bed and use the B&W Companion OEM puck system hitch. I bought the slider but have never had to use it. I would like to sale the slider and get a fixed hitch if anyone is interested.
    The OP needs to be aware that for the Andersen hitch to produce enough space between trailer and short bed truck during sharp turns that the hitch needs to be turned to the rear where the center of gravity would be behind the rear axle instead of slightly in front of the axle. The Andersen hitch also needs safety chains since it is a ball mount.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
    The OP needs to be aware that for the Andersen hitch to produce enough space between trailer and short bed truck during sharp turns that the hitch needs to be turned to the rear where the center of gravity would be behind the rear axle instead of slightly in front of the axle. The Andersen hitch also needs safety chains since it is a ball mount.
    That is not correct. The Andersen hitch is mounted directly over the rear axle (OEM puck system). The ball, as an integral part of the hitch, is slightly behind the center of the hitch. This may have some influence on the center of gravity, but certainly not to the degree implied above.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PJOB View Post
    That is not correct. The Andersen hitch is mounted directly over the rear axle (OEM puck system). The ball, as an integral part of the hitch, is slightly behind the center of the hitch. This may have some influence on the center of gravity, but certainly not to the degree implied above.
    When I was using the Andersen (loved that hitch) I tried flipping the hitch and moving the receptacle on the pin box forward of center then back and it didn`t make my truck squat any more or less, this with a 40`er with 3200 lbs of pin weight. Had to give it up as even 40lbs got to be to much for me and went with the Resse goose box hitch so all I have to take out now is a 5lb ball. Now that`s a hitch.
    Boat anchors not allowed

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Viper61, we also have a 2020 Denali with the 6'8" bed and a 2019 303RLS. We are using the B&W model 3710 hitch with about 30,000 miles on it now with no issues. We have no trouble with turning radius clearance whatsoever. Our 303 is the best trailer we've ever owned. We have had B&W hitches for years and they are the gold standard. They are built with thick plate steel and a precise king pin fit with no slop or rattles . Our GMC came with the factory pucs, so the hitch fits nicely with a small footprint making for lots of room in the bed. It is easy to remove when necessary and can be locked for theft deterrence. I have enough room in front of the hitch for a generator and auxiliary diesel tank. The generator would not work behind the hitch because of interference with the kingpin structure on the trailer when turning.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B&W patriot slider here only 5th wheel hitch i have used works well no complaints.
    I'm sure most of them out there work well whatever you choose.
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast