Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 5th wheel hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosemiteman View Post
    Hello Viper61, we also have a 2020 Denali with the 6'8" bed and a 2019 303RLS. We are using the B&W model 3710 hitch with about 30,000 miles on it now with no issues. We have no trouble with turning radius clearance whatsoever. Our 303 is the best trailer we've ever owned. We have had B&W hitches for years and they are the gold standard. They are built with thick plate steel and a precise king pin fit with no slop or rattles . Our GMC came with the factory pucs, so the hitch fits nicely with a small footprint making for lots of room in the bed. It is easy to remove when necessary and can be locked for theft deterrence. I have enough room in front of the hitch for a generator and auxiliary diesel tank. The generator would not work behind the hitch because of interference with the kingpin structure on the trailer when turning.
    Thanks for the post. That is the same hitch I went with. Can't wait to pick up the trailer. Just having slide toppers installed, should be able to get it this weekend!
    2022 Reflection 303rls
    2020 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were you able to lock your pin box with your B&W hitch? I am thinking about doing the same.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doug7164800 View Post
    Were you able to lock your pin box with your B&W hitch? I am thinking about doing the same.
    Sometimes it's better to include who you're addressing in your post. They can get confusing if there's a post between your post and the one you're referencing.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am towing a 42 foot 18,000 lb 5th wheel with a 2017 Ford F350 dually. I had a Reese Elite and upgraded to a B&W Companion. The B&W Companion with the factory Ford pucks is many times better than the Reese. Also made in USA.
    Michael Dilday - Suffolk, Va.
    2024 Solitude 376RD - Body paint, 3rd A/C, slide toppers, solar upgrade, 8k axle upgrade
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD Duramax Crew Dually, B&W Companion hitch
    35+ years camping

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
    I am towing a 42 foot 18,000 lb 5th wheel with a 2017 Ford F350 dually. I had a Reese Elite and upgraded to a B&W Companion. The B&W Companion with the factory Ford pucks is many times better than the Reese. Also made in USA.
    I just switched from using a Reese M5 hitch to a B&W Companion. I agree the B&W is a better hitch, and a lot less noisy. Also a lot less play with the pin in the hitch, which makes a nicer ride.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper61 View Post
    I am moving from a travel trailer to a 303rls 5th wheel. I have never had a 5th wheel before now so I am not 100% sure what type of hitch I need. Looking for some advice. I have a 2020 Denali with the 6'8" bed. Do I need a slide hitch or will a fixed hitch work? I have been given a couple options by the shop doing the install. One is the Pullrite SuperGlide and the other is a B & W Companion fixed hitch. Thank you in advance for any feedback.
    I see all the feedback on the B&W. But I would suggest that you look at how the DEMCO's hitch vs. the way the B&Ws do. For me the DEMCO has a much better method of being sure you are hitched right and locked in as they have an additional piece of steel that slide in behind (or in front of) the mechanism that latches the pin. And the latching mechanism actually wraps around the hitch vs. the B&Ws method of coming around on 2 sides with an opening in the back.

B&W is a very popular choice and many people like it. I think it is name recognition and promotion. There are threads here (I think it is this forum) about B&Ws coming loose when underway - lots of discussion about why and whether-or-not it can be poorly connected but look locked - you can decide. I just wanted to offer another opinion.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I see all the feedback on the B&W. But I would suggest that you look at how the DEMCO's hitch vs. the way the B&Ws do. For me the DEMCO has a much better method of being sure you are hitched right and locked in as they have an additional piece of steel that slide in behind (or in front of) the mechanism that latches the pin. And the latching mechanism actually wraps around the hitch vs. the B&Ws method of coming around on 2 sides with an opening in the back.

B&W is a very popular choice and many people like it. I think it is name recognition and promotion. There are threads here (I think it is this forum) about B&Ws coming loose when underway - lots of discussion about why and whether-or-not it can be poorly connected but look locked - you can decide. I just wanted to offer another opinion.
    I feel like I need to defend my favorite hitch. Last points first: two (2) people have said they had the trailer come loose from the B&W hitch. No reasons were ever found or attributed to the hitch malfunctioning, since it worked fine before and after. So all indications point to user error.

The B&W hitch pivots open, obviously unless you're lowering the trailer into the hitch, all hitches have to pivot open. The jaws are prevented from opening by the failsafe design of the hitch. The jaws are locked in place and cannot open until the lever is pulled. They physically cannot open. The popularity of the B&W hitch is the result of the design and operation of the hitch, not a marketing promotion. Good news spreads within the RV'ing community.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are another one for the B & W Hitch. We've had ours for three years, using it on two RVs, traveling thousands of miles and have not had an issue. We liked the quality of it so much, we bought the B & W Biker Bar to put in the garage of our toy hauler for our Harley. It might be name recognition because it's a great product!!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I feel like I need to defend my favorite hitch. Last points first: two (2) people have said they had the trailer come loose from the B&W hitch. No reasons were ever found or attributed to the hitch malfunctioning, since it worked fine before and after. So all indications point to user error.

The B&W hitch pivots open, obviously unless you're lowering the trailer into the hitch, all hitches have to pivot open. The jaws are prevented from opening by the failsafe design of the hitch. The jaws are locked in place and cannot open until the lever is pulled. They physically cannot open. The popularity of the B&W hitch is the result of the design and operation of the hitch, not a marketing promotion. Good news spreads within the RV'ing community.
    1. User error - you don't hear that with the DEMCO. Maybe it has to do with the lower usage (fewer in use), maybe not. I haven't heard of any DEMCO user errors (doesn't mean there aren't any tho).

2. The jaw of the DEMCO wraps AROUND the hitch pin, it doesn't use a clamping style. And then ANOTHER chunky piece of steel slides across the pin opening.

All B&W hitch owners love their hitch and have a lot of faith in it. I'm just pointing out that there are alternatives with other mechanisms. I'm not trying to defend any brand or bash any brand - just looking at alternatives. Each person has to decide on their own; so they need to know of all the alternatives. I just added some reasons why I think DEMCO makes a good alternative.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe this is a Demco with certain user error if your looking for an example, not the hitches fault for sure.
    https://youtu.be/zSO6gZ_r7U8?t=1209
    Safe Travels,
    Bruce.
    2022 278BH 5th Wheel
    Tow Vehicle- 2023 F350 CCLB DRW, 7.3 gas, 4;30 gears

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast