Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5th wheel hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th wheel hitch

I am moving from a travel trailer to a 303rls 5th wheel. I have never had a 5th wheel before now so I am not 100% sure what type of hitch I need. Looking for some advice. I have a 2020 Denali with the 6'8" bed. Do I need a slide hitch or will a fixed hitch work? I have been given a couple options by the shop doing the install. One is the Pullrite SuperGlide and the other is a B & W Companion fixed hitch. Thank you in advance for any feedback.
    2022 Reflection 303rls
    2020 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curious about what replies you get here.

I am currently doing the same research to pull our 150 series Reflection with my Ram 2500. I am pretty much set on a fixed B&W Companion but our coach is equipped with the Turning Point pinbox to accommodate the short bed trucks. Hoping to lock the pinbox out and use it traditionally with the Companion.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 303RLS with a Dodge 3500 with 6'4" box. I use a B&W Companion. You don't need a slider.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Dodge with a 6'5" bed, and a Reflection 150 Series and do not use the Turning Point feature. I have a slider hitch that has been in use for 12 years with a couple of trailers, and I have never once had the need to engage the slider mechanism. Pay attention on tight turns and YMMV.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Fifth Wheel Hitching Topics.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper61 View Post
    I am moving from a travel trailer to a 303rls 5th wheel. I have never had a 5th wheel before now so I am not 100% sure what type of hitch I need. Looking for some advice. I have a 2020 Denali with the 6'8" bed. Do I need a slide hitch or will a fixed hitch work? I have been given a couple options by the shop doing the install. One is the Pullrite SuperGlide and the other is a B & W Companion fixed hitch. Thank you in advance for any feedback.
    When I upgraded to a 5th Wheel, the dealer who sold and installed the hitch recommended the B&W Companion fixed hitch. My truck is a Ram 2500 with the standard (^'4") box. I asked about the sliding hitch, and he said he could sell me one, but I would likely never use the slide feature (and may find it more of an annoyance). He pulls a larger 5th Wheel with his GM 2500 and fixed hitch and has never had a problem.

Having stated that, when we took delivery on the new Reflection, we "played" with turning and backing to see how much of a gap I would have between the rear of the cab and the front of the 5th Wheel's "nose". I was able to execute a turn angle of ~83° and still have some clearance... never tried any sharper angles, but likely do not need to. The key is caution and a bit of forethought... if I back or pull into a turn at <83°, I should be able to pull or back out of the same turn. By the way, my hitch was set to vertical and longitudinal midrange, but such is up to the individual.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I have a Dodge with a 6'5" bed, and a Reflection 150 Series and do not use the Turning Point feature. I have a slider hitch that has been in use for 12 years with a couple of trailers, and I have never once had the need to engage the slider mechanism. Pay attention on tight turns and YMMV.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    2022 Reflection 303rls

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I have a 303RLS with a Dodge 3500 with 6'4" box. I use a B&W Companion. You don't need a slider.
    Thanks. I was leaning towards the B & W so your
    post helps.
    2022 Reflection 303rls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my first 5th wheel 10 yrs ago, square front Keystone. I fell for the internet noise that you had to have a slider with a short bed, used the slider a couple times then quit, wasn't necessary. Bought a fixed Curt to stop the clunking of the slider, it was better but still clunked. Bought a Goose Box in 2018 and will never use anything else with a 5th wheel, the ride is night and day difference over a conventional 5th hitch.
    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In post #8 you can see what kind of turning capability the BW OEM non slider is capable of in my 2022 3500 Silverado with the standard bed. This is the OEM hitch for the puck system and of course the Reflection not the Solitude.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...wheel-question
    2022 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4 Crew Cab Duramax with BW OEM non slide hitch
    2022 Reflection 31MB w custom 7000# axles, dual panhard rods and G rate tires.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast