User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    This is true...A number of years ago I had a blow out....or maybe a flat that I ran on for a number of miles. I couldn't tell until I saw blue smoke in my rear view mirror coming from the curb side of the trailer. From dragging for some time on asphalt, the rim had a flat spot....
    I've always been a bit skeptical when people say they bought new trailer tires and it rides so much better now. I really can't tell from one set to the next.

But my Challenger has aftermarket wheels..not hub centric, but hub centric balancing works fine. Same with my Jeep TJ.
    I think there is a difference between automotive wheels and trailer wheels. Trailer stuff in general is just cheap junk. The trailer drums are not even balanced!
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    The trailer drums are not even balanced!
    I didn't realize that. Well I learned something new today and it's only 7am!
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did away with the whole balancing issue and put on centramatic wheel balancing plates. They seem to be doing the job.

When I replaced the RV tires with Sailun a couple months ago it cost $25 per tire to remove old and mount new tires. No balance
    Last edited by Steven@147; 12-07-2022 at 07:37 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I did away with the whole balancing issue and put on centramatic wheel balancing plates. They seem to be doing the job.

When I replaced the RV tires with Salin a couple months ago it cost $25 per tire to remove old and mount new tires. No balance
    Okay, I just did some research. I'm suitably impressed. At $219.00 for a set of 4, I can outfit my truck and trailer for less than $500.00. I also couldn't find any negatives to them. I think I need a bigger Christmas stocking for these!
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Okay, I just did some research. I'm suitably impressed. At $219.00 for a set of 4, I can outfit my truck and trailer for less than $500.00. I also couldn't find any negatives to them. I think I need a bigger Christmas stocking for these!
    As an FYI: I bought the Centramatic Wheel Balancers before I installed disk brakes. At that time, I was specifically told by Centramatic they would not work with disk brakes. However, I found that they install perfectly! (Disk brakes and axles from Performance Trailer Braking).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1774.jpg  
    Jon & Melanie
    Dover, DE
    2019 Solitude 372WB-R
    2023 GMC 3500

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonSr. View Post
    As an FYI: I bought the Centramatic Wheel Balancers before I installed disk brakes. At that time, I was specifically told by Centramatic they would not work with disk brakes. However, I found that they install perfectly! (Disk brakes and axles from Performance Trailer Braking).
    Did you install when the pads were new? If not, then the caliper will get closer with new pads.
    On another note, I see you have oil bath hubs. I want to do this. Can you still run the center caps in the wheels? Not a deal breaker for me, but I am hoping I can just remove the center plug in the caps. How long have you had them?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Did you install when the pads were new? If not, then the caliper will get closer with new pads.
    On another note, I see you have oil bath hubs. I want to do this. Can you still run the center caps in the wheels? Not a deal breaker for me, but I am hoping I can just remove the center plug in the caps. How long have you had them?
    The picture is when the new axles and brakes were being installed. So everything was new. I found sufficient clearance between the Centramatics and the caliper. Notice, however, that they can only be installed one way - with the bead section to the outside. Also, they are not oil bath hubs. They were filled with grease after the picture was taken. Not sure why PTB supplied a clear version. And no trouble with center caps.
    Jon & Melanie
    Dover, DE
    2019 Solitude 372WB-R
    2023 GMC 3500

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonSr. View Post
    The picture is when the new axles and brakes were being installed. So everything was new. I found sufficient clearance between the Centramatics and the caliper. Notice, however, that they can only be installed one way - with the bead section to the outside. Also, they are not oil bath hubs. They were filled with grease after the picture was taken. Not sure why PTB supplied a clear version. And no trouble with center caps.
    That sure looks like a oil bath hub. I suppose one could use grease in them if they wanted to.
    Good to know about the center wheel caps.
    I want to go with oil for the lower maintainence requirements.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post

When I replaced the RV tires with Salin a couple months ago it cost $25 per tire to remove old and mount new tires. No balance
    While I'm not saying they don't work (I've never heard of them) but how do know they are doing a good job? As said earlier..you can't feel an out of balance trailer tire.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    While I'm not saying they don't work (I've never heard of them) but how do know they are doing a good job? As said earlier..you can't feel an out of balance trailer tire.
    Here’s a link if you want to know more about them: https://www.centramatic.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast