User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just started my research on GNP and planning to go summer '24. Thinking of spending 7 days there. This thread is very helpful.

I've heard reserving campsites in the park can be difficult. Should I be prepared to be online the minute the campsites are reservable?
    I like the idea of splitting the time between east and west campsites, but worried that will complicate the window of opportunity to reserve the campsites.
    Anyone stay at Fish Creek and can share 28' trailer with slides friendly campsite numbers?
    2021 Imagine XLS 23bhe
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland v8 4WD | 7,400 tow | 6800 GVWR
    Husky WD 30849 w/ sway control kit | Tekonsha brake controller
    Jeep + driver and 2 passengers = 5,990 | Trailer = 6,520 | Tongue = 760

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    On our bucket list for next season as well. Great information in this thread. Glacier, YT, Teton, Idaho if all goes well for next season - also in planning stages to these comments are very valuable as it will be a long drive and extended trip for us.
    ajg617 If your looking for a place to stay at Yellowstone check out Grizzly rv park. Great place to stay

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcqueen View Post
    ajg617 If your looking for a place to stay at Yellowstone check out Grizzly rv park. Great place to stay
    Thank you! On my RVTW itinerary that I'm plotting. Waiting to see where @Steven@147 stayed in Alpine as we would probably head to Teton after YNP and Glacier.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI you can drive through Yellowstone to the Teton and back in a day. We just did it. West Yellowstone is a cool little town lots of good places to eat.
    Last edited by robmcqueen; 12-06-2022 at 07:25 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjokibbe View Post
    I just started my research on GNP and planning to go summer '24. Thinking of spending 7 days there. This thread is very helpful.

I've heard reserving campsites in the park can be difficult. Should I be prepared to be online the minute the campsites are reservable?
    I like the idea of splitting the time between east and west campsites, but worried that will complicate the window of opportunity to reserve the campsites.
    Anyone stay at Fish Creek and can share 28' trailer with slides friendly campsite numbers?
    GNP just started (this past summer) taking reservations for a couple of campgrounds in the park that have previously been ‘first come’. Apgar was one of those. We were there Jun 19- Jun 26, 2022. We originally made reservations at West Glacier RV. Because this was the first year they opened Apgar to reservations (Recreation.Gov), they were late (first part of April, 2022) getting the site survey done and opening the CG to reservations. We booked our spots as soon as they opened to reserve. We got the spots we wanted, but I mean we booked the exact moment the site opened the reservation window. We checked back later that evening (just curious what was left) and the entire CG had been clobbered with reservations (crazy how fast they went). We kept our reservations at West Glacier RV because we were concerned about the accessibility of sites (our 5’er is pretty big… 42’). We ended making it into the site at Apgar, but it was REALLY tight… the reservation at West Glacier was just insurance and we ended up forfeiting our deposit (like $100… worth it to us as a backup).

If you’re interested in the actual ‘drive-thru’ view of most any campgrounds, they’re typically available on YouTube. We ended up staying in the Apgar ‘C’ Loop and this video was really helpful (it gives you an idea what these videos can illustrate).

https://youtu.be/JJ0iTkNXGdI
    2021 Solitude 380FL (Morryde IS)
    2022 F-450
    Hensley BD-5F

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcqueen View Post
    Any advice on where is the best place to stay at glacier national park. Or any other Advice about going to glacier national park.
    We stayed at North American RV Resort in July this year. It was 5 miles west of the west gate to Glacier. Make sure you book a reservation to drive on the Going to The Sun road in Glacier. Definitely the highlight of the trip!
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, PullRite 16K Superglide, 2022 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the west side of FlatHead Lake south of Kalispell there is a nice state park that was lightly used when we went through in April last year. Was still cool but not bad, clear roads. It is about two hours from Glacier National park so maybe not a good staging place but beautiful campground and area.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were at GNP in early August this year. GTTS Road was open as far as Logan Pass from the west side. That road is very narrow with sharp curves; a small vehicle may traverse it well, but it’s not the place to take any kind of tow vehicle. We opted to make a reservation with the Red Bus Tour and leave the driving to someone else. It was worth every penny; we were all able to see the sights without any one of us having to focus undivided attention on driving. We opted to stay at an RV campground in Hungry Horse and commute to the park. If you want to get REALLY adventurous on the west side, check out Polebridge, MT and the entrance there; it was one of the highlights of our visit.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gnp

Quote Originally Posted by rcjokibbe View Post

Waterton Park on the Canadian side is beautiful, been 40 years since we were there.
    Mike & Karen
    2021 337 RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 DRW Duramax
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    West Glacier RV is nice. Supposedly West Glacier KOA is nicer. We stayed at WEst Glacier RV and found it totally acceptable. I even had the opportunity to take a fly fishing lesson presented at the RV park. Do visit Whitefish old downtown. Great venue. Do take the going to the sun road via the red bus. totally worth it. do take the lake mcdonald lake tour on the 100 year old boat. great adventure. visit apgar and have lunch. safe travels!
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast