User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof bubbling up!

New to this forum. But I bought a 2600RB brand new used 4 days and had tons of problems! The only one they will not fix under warranty is the roof. I've owned RV's 25+years and never had this. Every 4 feet on the roof there's bubbles all the way across (the seams) are bubbles some small and the rest quite large. It's been in the shop 45+ days and now being told that these bubbles are to their standard for flexing and air! They will not warranty it for replacement due to their standards as it is normal (I'd say bad standards). Does anyone else have this problem? If I could post pictures I would! This is the response I got on text... Great American RV, I wanted to provide you a quick update on your RV repair. Grand Design got back to us on the repairs and they are denying a roof replacement. Here is their denial: "WITH JUST THESE 2 PLACES IT IS WITHIN GD TOLLEARACE AND DOESN'T NEED ANYTHING DONE ON THE ROOF." Do you want me to give you Grand Designs number to reach out to them directly?

There is no way its only in 2 spots the pictures sent to them clearly shows the entire roof!

How do I post pictures??

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get it in writing from your dealer and GD that the bubbles are ok. Then if it causes an issue you at least have something.
    I agree with you. They have very low standards for roof installation...IMO, there should be absolutely no bubbles...but you are not the only person with the roof bubble issue. I've seen it brought up before. Here and on other forums.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are dealing with this on our 297QB. We bought it in Feb, and the dealer has had it longer than we have. Our roof is currently being replaced (main roof and slide) under warranty due to bubbling. Our dealer made our case heard by GD and it was approved. Seems like that’s the difference.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2018 Reflection had bubbles from the factory. Long story short, dealer was authorized to replace the roof. The dealer made a marginal situation worse and after two dealer installed roofs, I took the camper to RV Roof Install and had a commercial grade roof installed. GD was of no assistance which I understand as the camper was 4 years old. Not sure if GD is using a poor quality glue, not enough of it, or not rolling out the new roof. IMO - there should be no bubbles on the roof. Hope the OP gets his issue resolved.
    Tim & Lisa
    2012 Silverado SRW LB 3500 Duramax
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, IS, Kodiak Discs

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timlisajax View Post
    Our 2018 Reflection had bubbles from the factory. Long story short, dealer was authorized to replace the roof. The dealer made a marginal situation worse and after two dealer installed roofs, I took the camper to RV Roof Install and had a commercial grade roof installed. GD was of no assistance which I understand as the camper was 4 years old. Not sure if GD is using a poor quality glue, not enough of it, or not rolling out the new roof. IMO - there should be no bubbles on the roof. Hope the OP gets his issue resolved.
    After having my roof billow from negative pressure, I firmly believe the problem is not enough adhesive and not letting it get tacky enough for good adhesion. I got a quote from RV Armor and will be going with them when the membrane actually fails.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Camp2022 View Post
    New to this forum. But I bought a 2600RB brand new used 4 days and had tons of problems! The only one they will not fix under warranty is the roof. I've owned RV's 25+years and never had this. Every 4 feet on the roof there's bubbles all the way across (the seams) are bubbles some small and the rest quite large. It's been in the shop 45+ days and now being told that these bubbles are to their standard for flexing and air! They will not warranty it for replacement due to their standards as it is normal (I'd say bad standards). Does anyone else have this problem? If I could post pictures I would! This is the response I got on text... Great American RV, I wanted to provide you a quick update on your RV repair. Grand Design got back to us on the repairs and they are denying a roof replacement. Here is their denial: "WITH JUST THESE 2 PLACES IT IS WITHIN GD TOLLEARACE AND DOESN'T NEED ANYTHING DONE ON THE ROOF." Do you want me to give you Grand Designs number to reach out to them directly?

There is no way its only in 2 spots the pictures sent to them clearly shows the entire roof!

How do I post pictures??
    I had/have bubbles in my 2020 reflection 337 roof. I was told the same thing by GD. We full time and don’t have time for a new roof unless it fails so did not try to get GD to do anything. I did roll the roof three times to make sure the fabric stuck down. This worked well but the roof was only a week old and there was hot sun. The main problem was at the plywood joints that go across the roof where the TPO fabric does not stick well. I have seen the same problems in many pictures that have been posted on forums. As my roof has aged the bubbles are smaller and have not been a problem.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Camp2022 View Post
    How do I post pictures??
    First off, welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you with us. So sorry to hear about your roof issues, that must be frustrating.

Here's a bit from the FAQ about images:

Attachments and Images
    How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert photos from your albums (?) in this way too.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few bubbles towards the front edges so likely much less than you have. I brought it in last month to have the dealer look at it and try to make a claim to GD. They actually just called me today and told me GD approved the fix under warranty. I truly believe that getting approval for these roof bubble issues (or really anything else) depends on your dealer making a good case for you. My dealer has been great to work with and has gotten every warranty claim on my current and past unit approved. Clearly the bubbles on a new unit are not normal (by GD's admitting to it) and will likely get worse the more miles it see's. If your dealer can't or won't make a good case for you, you can try to help them or see if you can deal with GD direct and make your case.
    2023 Reflection 324 MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 | Laramie | 6.7L HO | SRW | 4x4 |

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    I had/have bubbles in my 2020 reflection 337 roof. I was told the same thing by GD. We full time and don’t have time for a new roof unless it fails so did not try to get GD to do anything. I did roll the roof three times to make sure the fabric stuck down. This worked well but the roof was only a week old and there was hot sun. The main problem was at the plywood joints that go across the roof where the TPO fabric does not stick well. I have seen the same problems in many pictures that have been posted on forums. As my roof has aged the bubbles are smaller and have not been a problem.
    Our 2021 337RLS had some bubbles when new but after a summer of heat and sun, they disappeared. That makes me think the glue finally adhered.
    Dan and Deb
    2021 337RLS
    2020 Lariat Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab Max Tow, Air Lift 5000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we have the same unit bought in November was putting vent covers on the other day and saw all the bubbles on ours.