User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

¾ ton gas truck fuel tank size

My current RAM 1500 gets around 8 mpg when towing GD Transcend 240ML (GVWR 7495). Fuel tank is listed as 21 gallons. I’m upgrading to a ¾ ton truck and think I want a larger fuel tank 48/50 gallons so I don’t have to fuel up as often. I don’t plan on traveling more than 200 or so miles a day. I think it would be nice to be able to stop at rest stops instead of constantly looking for gas stations. Must ¾ trucks on dealer lots have a 32/34 gallon fuel tank. So I guess my question is: am I over reacting due to poor mpg in my truck and not being realistic looking for such a large fuel capacity? It’s hard to compare due to not really knowing MPG for ¾ ton trucks towing a smaller TT.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    2023 RAM 2500, 2021 Transcend 240ML

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK,
    You indicate you have a good idea of your travel mileage. Very good. I can't speak for Ram trucks but GMs 3/4 ton get a little lower mileage that the 1500 (1/2). Why?

Well they have a larger motor and are heavier (duh) so... My experience is the you will continue to average (depending on driving conditions) somewhat the same mileage. With the larger fuel capacity, you should be fine. The key here is knowing up front what you really want to do. Knowing your driving goals is the key. IMHO, you will be fine with the 3/4 ton and a 200 mile goal.

good luck.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2020 Chevy 2500 with the 6.6 gas engine. It holds 36 gallons. Towing our 21G toy hauler it gets about 8mpg depending on wind and hills. I start looking for fuel at about 200 miles which gives me a little cushion for finding a fuel stop.
    2021 Momentum 21G
    2020 Silverado 2500 6.6 Gas

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I towed a similar size TT with my Ram 1500 hemi I also got similar mileage with the 32 gallon fuel tank. 200 miles was never a problem plus gas stops are easy because you can almost always go the outside island and get back out.
    I think your milage will be close to what you are getting now.

Finding a good diesel stop (other than truck stops) is more challenging.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHH4198 View Post
    My current RAM 1500 gets around 8 mpg when towing GD Transcend 240ML (GVWR 7495). Fuel tank is listed as 21 gallons. I’m upgrading to a ¾ ton truck and think I want a larger fuel tank 48/50 gallons so I don’t have to fuel up as often. I don’t plan on traveling more than 200 or so miles a day. I think it would be nice to be able to stop at rest stops instead of constantly looking for gas stations. Must ¾ trucks on dealer lots have a 32/34 gallon fuel tank. So I guess my question is: am I over reacting due to poor mpg in my truck and not being realistic looking for such a large fuel capacity? It’s hard to compare due to not really knowing MPG for ¾ ton trucks towing a smaller TT.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    There is always the option to install a larger fuel tank. I think Titan, S& B, and Transferflow make them. I'm not sure if they are gas tanks tho; they may be for diesel but it is worth checking into. Over on ford-trucks forum they are talking about a new gas tank from Transferflow.

I like having extra fuel for the days I travel longer distances as well as the choices I have to refuel once I drop the rig and can travel to any fuel station without the worry of towing a trailer.

I think 8 mpg is a reasonable expectation on both 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks when towing trailers. I'm getting closer to 10mpg on my '22 oil burner when towing but terrain, and weather makes a difference.

Besides my 48 gallon Ford tank I have a 33 gallon aux tank - I like to choose when and where (and how often) I get fuel.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 12-10-2022 at 07:32 AM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is pitiful that all of the big three only put a 32-36 gallon tank on not only the 3/4, but the 1 ton trucks. You can get an optional 48 gallon tank on the long bed versions only, not the short bed, from the factory. I am not sure the reason behind it, a truck designed to pull big things, and the tank gives you somewhere around a 250 mile range, depending on hills, wind...etc.

What you can do, is several things, one is to put an aux tank in the bed of the truck, the other is what I have done, along with others. There are aftermarket tanks that replace the OEM ones, that gives you 50 gallons. The tanks fit where the OEM was, and usually the only negative is due to being larger, extends about 2" lower under the truck than the OEM.

I like the flexibility the larger tank gives me. There are several routes I take, that gas stations can be questionable, and the larger tank solves that problem.

The OEM replacement tanks, are only available for diesel, not gas.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 12-10-2022 at 07:19 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    It is pitiful that all of the big three only put a 32-36 gallon tank on not only the 3/4, but the 1 ton trucks. You can get an optional 48 gallon tank on the long bed versions only, not the short bed, from the factory. I am not sure the reason behind it, a truck designed to pull big things, and the tank gives you somewhere around a 250 mile range, depending on hills, wind...etc.

What you can do, is several things, one is to put an aux tank in the bed of the truck, the other is what I have done, along with others. There are aftermarket tanks that replace the OEM ones, that gives you 50 gallons. The tanks fit where the OEM was, and usually the only negative is due to being larger, extends about 2" lower under the truck than the OEM.

I like the flexibility the larger tank gives me. There are several routes I take, that gas stations can be questionable, and the larger tank solves that problem.

The OEM replacement tanks, are only available for diesel, not gas.
    Even worse my 2012 F-350 6.7L short bed only had a 28 gallon fuel tank. Needless to say, I replaced it with a 60 gallon Titan tank. It does extend a little lower than the OEM tank, but nothing to be concerned about. Install wasn’t that hard, just a tight space and PITA to remove and put on the fuel line.
    2020 Reflection 311BHS / 16K Airborne Sidewinder
    TV: 2012 Ford F-350 King Ranch / Airlifter Ultimate 5000 air bags / 16K Curt Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 Ram 2500 with the gas 6.4 Hemi. The only tank that was available is 31 gallons. We both think it is a bit small for a truck that is meant for hauling and towing. We get about 8-9 MPG when pulling our 22RBE. That is an estimate, I have intentionally not kept track as it would be too depressing.
    I have not been able to find a replacement tank for it. We could put a "transfer tank" in the bed, but then we would lose bed space. I think (emphasis on think) that you could connect the transfer tank to the OEM tank, but not sure if that is safe/legal. The other option would be to put a pump, either hand pumped or electric, and fill the OEM tank from the transfer tank.
    From reading on Ram forums, it looks like designing and certifying a gas replacement tank would be too expensive for such a limited market so the only option for us would be the transfer tank. We don't do enough long trips to make the expense and loss of bed space worth the longer distances between stops.
    We are happy with the truck, and unless/until we start doing trips longer we are OK with what we have.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here with the ‘21 Ram 2500 6.4L. She’s a thirsty girl when empty and even more so when towing but it does the job for us. I agree that 200 miles is achievable and when we start looking for fuel, if not before.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why, but, Ram has always had small fuel tanks.
    We're metric, but, I'll convert for ease of comparison.

My GMC with a 6 litre gas is getting about 8.5 MPG towing my 303RLS. Fuel tank is 35 US gallon. My fuel range when full is about 300 miles according to the truck's computer. We typically camp within 150 miles of home, and do not travel more than 300 miles per day on an extended trip. I prefer (when I can) to get to my destination and refuel the next day or so without the trailer in tow.

Based on my needs and truck mileage, I'm fine with a 35 gallon fuel tank.
    Dave & Carol
    Eastern GTA, ON
    2022 Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel
    2017 GMC 2500 Crew Cab pick up (6.0 litre Gasser)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast