User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauced Hog View Post
    I'd be interested in more information on the fuel tank. Who are you getting it through? Probably direct if it sits bellow the tonneau. I was looking more in the 50 gal direct flow. 110 gal would add almost 800 lbs to the truck. I wonder if that will have a noticeable impact on fuel mileage? Best of luck on your Alaska trip!
    -Mike
    Am getting it from ATTA in Fort Worth, TX. They will custom make tanks as well. I went with their Push-n-Fuel option, but will also have a pocket cutout in the corner of the tank for a 12V pump so I can fuel the genny (a Cummins QD). Good question on fuel mileage. I doubt it degrades it much, but I'll be interested to see. I don’t plan to always keep it full. It will probably depend more on likely fuel availability, how far we are planning to travel, whether we’ll be disconnected that night making it easy to fuel, fuel prices where we are vs. where we are going, etc.

Boyd Welding also makes some really good looking tanks.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this tank from RDS https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...918959:loc-190

40 gal plus the stock 30 gal takes the stress out of finding fuel.
    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    fwiw.... When I went to Key Largo this summer I filled at the TA in Vero Beach which, coming down I-95/TPike, was the cheapest. I put 5 gallons in when in the Keys which was enough to get back to that TA again for cheap fuel. Kind of liking my LB 48 gallon tank and the 33 gallon aux tank. It allows me to decided when/where to fill.

For those Alaska bound folks: I never looked, but I don't think I would like the idea of a 300 mile limit on fuel. My SB 2018 F-350 produced 8 (maybe 9) MPG on a good day and the 34 gallons tank really was only good for about 29 gallons; that's maybe about 250 usable miles - yikes!

and btw.... I was just looking over my fuel records when checking some of this stuff. The Vero TA is $3.946/gal with the TDS fuel card vs. $5.230/gal normally. Wow. In August I paid $4.57 and $4.20 on my visits.
    Thanks for the info. Not sure what the LB 48 is? I'm guessing the aftermarket Ford higher capacity tank? I can see the benefit of the aux tank especially on long trips and when looking for the best prices. It's on my want list.
    -Mike
    2022 376THS-R w/B&W Companion 25K puck hitch
    MORryde 3 axle 7K IS w/disk brakes
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali DRW
    2014 HD CVO Limited

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    Am getting it from ATTA in Fort Worth, TX. They will custom make tanks as well. I went with their Push-n-Fuel option, but will also have a pocket cutout in the corner of the tank for a 12V pump so I can fuel the genny (a Cummins QD). Good question on fuel mileage. I doubt it degrades it much, but I'll be interested to see. I don’t plan to always keep it full. It will probably depend more on likely fuel availability, how far we are planning to travel, whether we’ll be disconnected that night making it easy to fuel, fuel prices where we are vs. where we are going, etc.

Boyd Welding also makes some really good looking tanks.
    I looked at them last year. Did you install yourself? I'd really like to find out how that went!
    Great info! Thank you
    -Mike
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali DRW
    2014 HD CVO Limited

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MccNeo View Post
    Yesterday evening I promised I would look for doable fuel stops on our way from Grassy Key to Key West. Well, I did. Once again, my 5th wheel is 42 feet and I pull with a Ford F350 Long Bed Dually - total length is 59 feet when towing.

We saw diesel available for anywhere from $4.87 to $5.17 at various gas stations.

We did not see any truck stops.

The gas stations we saw that I felt I could maneuver my rig into access the diesel pumps were located near (approximate) mile markers 2, 30, 29, 50, 52, 54, and 55. NOTE: Some of these are tighter than others or may require approaching from a side road or specific direction to access a diesel pump.

The traffic becomes MUCH more congested and difficult to maneuver with a rig at LOWER mile markers. I did not list a mile marker for a station I didn't think was really viable to pull a rig through.

Hope it helps.
    Thanks, MccNeo! Actually, that helps A LOT. We're about the same length. I can maneuver it around pretty well but am always on the lookout for an easy in easy out spot. I'll make a note of the mile markers on my trip notes.
    Appreciate you taking the time to do this. Enjoy your trip!
    -Mike
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali DRW
    2014 HD CVO Limited

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at them last year. Did you install yourself? I'd really like to find out how that went!
    Great info! Thank you
    -Mike
    I will, but don’t have it yet!
    It’s in the build cue.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested in more information on the fuel tank. Who are you getting it through? Probably direct if it sits bellow the tonneau. I was looking more in the 50 gal direct flow. 110 gal would add almost 800 lbs to the truck. I wonder if that will have a noticeable impact on fuel mileage? Best of luck on your Alaska trip!
    -Mike
    We considered the permanently mounted tank (like those discussed here) but didn’t want the weight and permanence of a tank in front of the hitch. We have a F-450 with a 48 gal tank, so extra fuel is a little less critical. I bought this cheap solution and then fill 3 additional 7 gal Gerry cans… for a total of about 35 gallons of ‘Aux’ fuel. Stretches our total range to more than 700 miles (that’s a big day.. by any standard).

I lift this tank up and set it on top of the roll cover canister (at the front of the bed) and just let gravity feed into the tank… then I dump the Gerry cans in as the tank empties. Cheap/removable way to carry extra fuel. In addition, the feet on the tank fit nicely into the bed grooves… so it stays locked in place as you drive. Works great for us.

We actually bought it from Northern Tool with a coupon for $185.

https://www.amazon.com/Industries-JD...7-93deae8f9840
    2021 Solitude 380FL (Morryde IS)
    2022 F-450
    Hensley BD-5F

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had looked at those, but was not going to carry it relatively unsecured in the bed of the truck. And the 20 gallon RDS was only a couple hundred dollars more for less complexity, and solid mount. But whatever works is what gets the job done. And too heavy for this old man to horse around on a regular basis.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I had looked at those, but was not going to carry it relatively unsecured in the bed of the truck. And the 20 gallon RDS was only a couple hundred dollars more for less complexity, and solid mount. But whatever works is what gets the job done. And too heavy for this old man to horse around on a regular basis.
    Yup…Hear ya on the restraint issue. I use cargo straps and this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2021 Solitude 380FL (Morryde IS)
    2022 F-450
    Hensley BD-5F

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those with longer rigs, I have found an app called “trucker-path” . Shows a map with truck stops, with many other features that you “can” pay for, but I pay for nothing, it is free… I use it to look at my routes and can get mileage from stop to stop, makes it less stressful as my rig is 44 feet, + my Longbed Dually, so its not short .
    Sharing only, and no I am not affiliated to the app
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast