User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fueling up in the Florida Keys

Hi all,
    Just a bit off topic. We're planning a trip to Key West in the spring and I've been plotting the route using Trip Wizard. My original plan had me needing fuel about half way from Key Largo to Key West. Doing a search I didn't find any stations that looked like an easy in and out for a 41 foot 5th wheel and truck. I decided to fuel up before getting to Key Largo so I wouldn't have to stop. I was curious if anyone here has done this drive and fueled up somewhere along the Hwy 1 route in the keys? If there's a good place, I'd add it in as a back up just in case things don't go to plan. That NEVER happens! LOL
    Thanks in advance.
    -Mike
    Last edited by Sauced Hog; 12-11-2022 at 09:47 AM.
    2022 376THS-R w/B&W Companion 25K puck hitch
    MORryde 3 axle 7K IS w/disk brakes
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali DRW
    2014 HD CVO Limited

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn’t answering the question, but have you considered an auxiliary tank? We’re doing that for a trip to Alaska, just to give us options.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    This isn’t answering the question, but have you considered an auxiliary tank? We’re doing that for a trip to Alaska, just to give us options.
    I've looked at them. We travel about 300 miles a day which requires just one fill-up and I normally fill again before leaving the camp site. I just like to know my options if I get stuck in traffic or have to detour off my planned route.
    We're planning a trip to Alaska in 2024. Fuel is a concern. 280 miles is my limit. I'd be close to fumes by then.
    -Mike
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali DRW
    2014 HD CVO Limited

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauced Hog View Post
    I've looked at them. We travel about 300 miles a day which requires just one fill-up and I normally fill again before leaving the camp site. I just like to know my options if I get stuck in traffic or have to detour off my planned route.
    We're planning a trip to Alaska in 2024. Fuel is a concern. 280 miles is my limit. I'd be close to fumes by then.
    -Mike
    Understood. You prob have the 36gal tank just like me. We’re planning on ‘24 as well for Alaska. This is overkill, but I’m going with a 110 gal tank in front of the hitch. It will take up 28.5” and be below the tonneau (when rolled back). I think there are also factory tank replacements available, but they hang down lower than factory tank.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an FYI, I carry 2x 5-gallon containers of diesel in the back of my truck. I put them both in a plastic container with a lid in case of a spill (but hasn't happened). I also have a funnel in the container.
    That's my backup, good for 100 miles.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone posted this a few weeks ago - very helpful: http://www.findfuelstops.com/
    It's like Gas Buddy app, but for truck stops specifically.

Here's the search for Miami to Key West:
    http://www.findfuelstops.com/?result...2729395#ResTop
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    Understood. You prob have the 36gal tank just like me. We’re planning on ‘24 as well for Alaska. This is overkill, but I’m going with a 110 gal tank in front of the hitch. It will take up 28.5” and be below the tonneau (when rolled back). I think there are also factory tank replacements available, but they hang down lower than factory tank.
    I'd be interested in more information on the fuel tank. Who are you getting it through? Probably direct if it sits bellow the tonneau. I was looking more in the 50 gal direct flow. 110 gal would add almost 800 lbs to the truck. I wonder if that will have a noticeable impact on fuel mileage? Best of luck on your Alaska trip!
    -Mike
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali DRW
    2014 HD CVO Limited

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    Someone posted this a few weeks ago - very helpful: http://www.findfuelstops.com/
    It's like Gas Buddy app, but for truck stops specifically.

Here's the search for Miami to Key West:
    http://www.findfuelstops.com/?result...2729395#ResTop
    Great info!! Thank you
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali DRW
    2014 HD CVO Limited

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauced Hog View Post
    Hi all,
    Just a bit off topic. We're planning a trip to Key West in the spring and I've been plotting the route using Trip Wizard. My original plan had me needing fuel about half way from Key Largo to Key West. Doing a search I didn't find any stations that looked like an easy in and out for a 41 foot 5th wheel and truck. I decided to fuel up before getting to Key Largo so I wouldn't have to stop. I was curious if anyone here has done this drive and fueled up somewhere along the Hwy 1 route in the keys? If there's a good place, I'd add it in as a back up just in case things don't go to plan. That NEVER happens! LOL
    Thanks in advance.
    -Mike
    fwiw.... When I went to Key Largo this summer I filled at the TA in Vero Beach which, coming down I-95/TPike, was the cheapest. I put 5 gallons in when in the Keys which was enough to get back to that TA again for cheap fuel. Kind of liking my LB 48 gallon tank and the 33 gallon aux tank. It allows me to decided when/where to fill.

For those Alaska bound folks: I never looked, but I don't think I would like the idea of a 300 mile limit on fuel. My SB 2018 F-350 produced 8 (maybe 9) MPG on a good day and the 34 gallons tank really was only good for about 29 gallons; that's maybe about 250 usable miles - yikes!

and btw.... I was just looking over my fuel records when checking some of this stuff. The Vero TA is $3.946/gal with the TDS fuel card vs. $5.230/gal normally. Wow. In August I paid $4.57 and $4.20 on my visits.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday evening I promised I would look for doable fuel stops on our way from Grassy Key to Key West. Well, I did. Once again, my 5th wheel is 42 feet and I pull with a Ford F350 Long Bed Dually - total length is 59 feet when towing.

We saw diesel available for anywhere from $4.87 to $5.17 at various gas stations.

We did not see any truck stops.

The gas stations we saw that I felt I could maneuver my rig into access the diesel pumps were located near (approximate) mile markers 2, 30, 29, 50, 52, 54, and 55. NOTE: Some of these are tighter than others or may require approaching from a side road or specific direction to access a diesel pump.

The traffic becomes MUCH more congested and difficult to maneuver with a rig at LOWER mile markers. I did not list a mile marker for a station I didn't think was really viable to pull a rig through.

Hope it helps.
    2020 Solitude 373FB-R,
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 DRW Long Bed,
    TST 570 TPMS, MORryde Pinbox, B&W 25K Companion, Garmin RV785MT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast