Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

260rd rear receiver

We have 2 electric bikes total weight around 130lbs, bike rack weighing 60lbs all totaling around 200lbs, the factory installed welded hitch is rated to 3500lbs towing and 300lbs tongue weight, am I to be concerned the hitch would fail when hauling the bike and rack.... seem to get confusing opinions searching the internet so asking specific GD and GD 260RD owners.
    Thank you

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the batteries out. So two e-bikes at about 54 lbs each on a swagman eSpec rack which is about 50 lbs. my 312 bhts receiver is rated at 300 lbs as well. Set up is rock solid and after 3000 miles all is well. I routinely look over the hitch welds and have observed no cracks or signs of stress. Just towed through Houston and San Antonio on I-10. Pretty rough road with plenty of construction. Good to go so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2541.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	44137
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for the input, makes me feel better about the decision to go ahead with hauling the bikes.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you have 100 lbs of margin, good to go!
    Just make sure they don't move up and down a lot, more so than the back of the trailer, and keep them as close as possible.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with close as possible. Turned handlebars to clear the rear instead of an extension on the receiver. Also added a Rhino clamp to eliminate any movement. The hitch receiver flexes a bit but this seams normal and I do keep an eye on the welds. So far so good. The alternatives are bad, on the truck bed (much too heavy for
    that even with a ramp) or inside the trailer (I actually tried this, what a hassle) so this is the only logical option. I can move the bike rack to the truck when we get some place where we will stay a while.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure the rack is RV-rated... most aren't and the G forces back there are incredible.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The key is to keep the bikes and rack from moving. As others have mentioned - RV rated, clamps, and tie downs. I purchased a Hollywood rack many years ago for the back of my old 5th wheel. While not eBikes, we traveled tens of thousands of miles with two very heavy bikes without any problems. The older Hollywood racks used a very nice clamp system that kept the rack from moving. I have since used this when building a generator rack that goes in the receiver.

https://hollywoodracks.com/products/rtd2
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    👍thank you

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz80 View Post
    ��thank you
    @Grizz80 -

Here are a few forum tips:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

3) If you choose to get a paid membership (nominal cost and well worth it), you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 93 lb generator and two 25 lb propane tanks I plan on carrying back there....

I wonder if there is some way to “beef” up the hutch for a tad more capacity???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast