User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jenkins View Post
    Unfortunately, I know squat about electronics.
    In that case, you'll have to take it to a dealer/shop, or have a mobile RV tech stop by and check it out. And this isn't really electronics, it very basic electrical troubleshooting. A $5 VOM will tell you much of what you need to know.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy at the dealership who did my orientation told me not to disconnect the battery at the switch because it has solar and the sun will keep the batteries charged. But it's been raining here in California for weeks. I have it parked in front of my house but will be taking it to storage here soon before i get a ticket. I've had the RV almost a week now. No upgrades to anything completely stock. Do i just disconnect the negative and it will be good to go? When i do take the trailer out of storage and hook up the negative terminal, will i have power to my jacks? Sorry this is a newbie question. Thanks.

Carl
    2023 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4
    2023 GD Reflection 150 Series 278BH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When in storage for more than 2 weeks or so, I disconnect the wires at the batteries and connect a battery charger / maintainer. I don’t have any solar. If you don’t have power where you store the rv, suggest you remove the batteries and take them home and keep them on the charger/maintainer there. Check and replenish the water every month as needed with distilled water.

If your batteries run down while on shore power they are not being charged as they should be. Tracking down why they are not being charged is easy if you know how and not so easy if you don’t. Perhaps a mobile tech or swing by the dealership.

Here is an example of a charger/maintainer.

https://www.batterytender.com/two-bank
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    When in storage for more than 2 weeks or so, I disconnect the wires at the batteries and connect a battery charger / maintainer. I don’t have any solar. If you don’t have power where you store the rv, suggest you remove the batteries and take them home and keep them on the charger/maintainer there. Check and replenish the water every month as needed with distilled water.
    Over the years, I've found that a fully charged (12.8 volts) lead-acid battery in good condition (emphasis on "good contition") and disconnected from any cables can sit for months with no problem, even through freezing weather. Last year, 2021 to 2022, I disconnected the RV batteries in early December, let them set for five months through the following April (in north Idaho), and found them fully charged in the beginning of May. The key here is that the battery(s) are fully charged and one of the terminals must be disconnected from all cables. Pulling heavy batteries out of the vented boxes and an awkward storage bay can be hard on the back and is unnecessary. You shouldn't need a trickle charger on the battery. If the battery won't hold a charge when disconnected, it has an internal short and should be replaced/recycled.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of agree with Tom T. The battery tender is not really necessary for batteries that are fully charged and in tip too shape and totally disconnected and topped up with water. But. I have the tender so so use it. On my last RV I still had the original batteries after 5 seasons of heavy use. They were going strong when I sold the rig.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of my summer toys are stored with a fully charged but disconnected battery without any issue and the colder it is the better. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	44385
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've posted the above graph several times in this forum. In Minn. from Oct to April, my batteries never are less than 90%, and frequently 95%. Just put to sleep fully charged and disconnected. This year, the trailer was stored in southern Alabama from Oct-Jan, so warmer "summer-like" temps. As the chart predicts, they were at 75% after the three months.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    I've posted the above graph several times in this forum. In Minn. from Oct to April, my batteries never are less than 90%, and frequently 95%. Just put to sleep fully charged and disconnected. This year, the trailer was stored in southern Alabama from Oct-Jan, so warmer "summer-like" temps. As the chart predicts, they were at 75% after the three months.
    I must of got it from you.
    Our winters are harsh and I've been storing them outside for as long as I can remember and never had an issue.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jenkins View Post
    Unfortunately, I know squat about electronics.
    Now would be a good time to take the battery out of the rig and take it to someplace that can test it. And when you are taking it in or out just stand around a bit scratching you head when the park is busy with folks waking around; someone will likely offer to help and may know more about how to test your converter's output so you can verify it is working (and turned on).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    ....just stand around a bit scratching you head when the park is busy with folks waking around; someone will likely offer to help and may know more about how to test your converter's output so you can verify it is working (and turned on).
    And if that that same person has the voltage tester you need, he will also have a plastic baggie full of old style trailer light bulbs, automotive type 12 volt fuses, 120 volt wire nuts, and 12 volt automotive wire connectors. If he's got all that, you can be sure he has an all in one electrical crimping and wire cutting tool, some black electrical "friction" tape, a few pieces of wire in various gauges from a previous project, and a couple of spare water heater thermostats. He'll say hello, introduce himself like an old friend and chat you up. Hes's got enough time and curiosity to see what the heck is going on with your camper. If he likes beer, buy him at least a 6 pack AFTER he's through! God Bless these guys!
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast