User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BadDogPSD View Post
    Does this mean that units ordered with the upgraded axles option also get an upgraded frame?
    No - same frame and pin box.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    @BrokeDown - how are you determining your weights (what method/formula)?

Rob
    I got weighed at the FMCA rally, but I had a lot of extra stuff with me. Each axle (I have 2) was right around 8,000 lbs and the pin was just under 4K. Once I emptied it, I weighed the truck and then the truck and trailer. With the garage empty, my pin weight went up to roughly 4,300lbs but the axles were down to 7,100. When I go to MORryde, I'll have my 900 lb cart in the garage. I'll let MORryde weigh me so that we know for sure. The F450 is well underweight at around 13,200 lbs.

I think the heaviest thing in the RV is the clothes and the washer and dryer. But those things are directly over the hitch so I don't believe the frame is being taxed by that weight.

-B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Yes, thats why I said technically. As for which is easier on the frame.... I think the IS will ride better, But I am pretty sure the weight will be spread along a longer length of the frame with leaf springs. Dealers choice.
    I'm not sure about the weight distribution. They install a pretty long frame box above the IS suspension, it seems like that would be better than having 4 attachment points on each side.
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    When I attended the Hershey RV show I talk to the product manager for Solitude and he said the GVWR is NOT based off the axles but on the frame. He said they order chassis based on GVWR and each GVWR has different frames designs and axles are selected to support the GVWR with a margin to cover different loading of the user within the GVWR of the frame.
    I don’t know about all coaches, but our 380FL literally uses the same lippert frame as units that are 20K GVWR (that’s per a Lippert employee). I get that you’re not going to change the published GVWR of the coach by doing upgrades that effectively increase GVWR. If you’re a person that’s hung up by some letters on a label on the side of your unit, than this path is not for you. Vehicle (ground and air based) design, certification, manufacturing and operation is full of examples where governing bodies (especially the compulsory, governmental, Nanny-State kind) impose limits for reasons other than those relied upon by actual engineers, technicians and operators.
    2021 Solitude 380FL (Morryde IS)
    2022 F-450
    Hensley BD-5F

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to project manager “yes” because the chassis are built at at Lippert and shipped to GD with axles installed.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMitt70 View Post
    I donÂ’t know about all coaches, but our 380FL literally uses the same lippert frame as units that are 20K GVWR (thatÂ’s per a Lippert employee). I get that youÂ’re not going to change the published GVWR of the coach by doing upgrades that effectively increase GVWR. If youÂ’re a person thatÂ’s hung up by some letters on a label on the side of your unit, than this path is not for you. Vehicle (ground and air based) design, certification, manufacturing and operation is full of examples where governing bodies (especially the compulsory, governmental, Nanny-State kind) impose limits for reasons other than those relied upon by actual engineers, technicians and operators.
    I paid for meeting for an accident attorney and had him explain what the letters “GVWR” mean and i have full understanding of those letters. OUT!!!
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
    I'm not sure about the weight distribution. They install a pretty long frame box above the IS suspension, it seems like that would be better than having 4 attachment points on each side.
    It is possible but, only if the MR frame box extends further than the front spring hanger of the front axle and the rear spring hanger of the rear axle.
    The fact that the MR frame box has a longer length of support is not a factor, as the realtively short area that is supported by either system is far stronger than it needs to be.
    Think about it this way: Take a broomstick and support it by each end. Then step on it in the middle. It will snap real easy. Then take an 18" long section of a broomstick and do the same thing. I will take a LOT more force to break it.
    I have no idea just how long the MR frame box is compared to the spring hangers. I am just pointing out to the OP the physics that will apply to his frame.
    For all I know the MR may support more of the frame (In which case it wins) the same amount as the leaf springs (it still wins) or less than the leaf springs ( in which case the debate is. does a smoother ride have more impact on the frame than more support for the frame?)
    I honestly do not know. There is just not enough info available to say for sure either way.
    Keep in mind, the OP is planing to overload his frame.
    Last edited by huntindog; 12-24-2022 at 01:01 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    It is possible but, only if the MR frame box extends further than the front spring hanger of the front axle and the rear spring hanger of the rear axle.
    As you can see in the screenshot of the Changing Lanes video, it extends a few inches past the original hangers. The shiny area, just left of the weld, is where they cut the original hangers off. The front and back are about the same amount past the hangers.

So it is at least as strong and probably a little stronger... but considering that the whole area is reinforced and you get 5 inches of travel with a shock has to be better for the long-term health of the frame.

I am the OP, my biggest concern is in the front where the frame drops from the hitch platform. There are several videos and a lot of posts out there where that area needed to be reinforced. I am hoping that the softer ride will prevent that need.

Regards,
    -B

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-24-2022 jgenovese 000002.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	365.0 KB 
ID:	44231

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=BrokeDown;461166]As you can see in the screenshot of the Changing Lanes video, it extends a few inches past the original hangers. The shiny area, just left of the weld, is where they cut the original hangers off. The front and back are about the same amount past the hangers.

So it is at least as strong and probably a little stronger... but considering that the whole area is reinforced and you get 5 inches of travel with a shock has to be better for the long-term health of the frame.

I am the OP, my biggest concern is in the front where the frame drops from the hitch platform. There are several videos and a lot of posts out there where that area needed to be reinforced. I am hoping that the softer ride will prevent that need.

Regards,
    -B

I concur, the MR wins. As for your just mentioned concern... I would look into one of the cushioned pin boxes
    Last edited by huntindog; 12-24-2022 at 01:54 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123