User Tag List

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting ready for coldest weather in our Solitude 310GK

We are at our daughters home in Belgrade, Montana and as I type this it is a balmy 1 degree F outside with tomorrows high forecast to be around 15F. Weds it is forecasted to be between -28 and -31F with highs below zero. Right now the fireplace and furnace are pretty much running nonstop, I have my diesel heater in the front generator compartment set on low heat and pumping heat into the basement area and it is holding temps in the upper 90's in the basement and warming the bathroom floor nicely. I also have an additional electric heater next to the couch helping keep the slide out area warm. Tank heaters are all on and I have two 100 lb propane bottles and hopefully that lasts until the 28th when we will hopefully head home weather permitting. I think the spray foam on the frame rails is working well, no freeze ups knock on wood. There is about a foot of snow on the ground and tomorrow I hope to clear off snow from the slide out tops so that it doesn't turn to ice. We are able to maintain about 70 degrees inside which my wife says is too warm, lol. I have reflectix type bubble wrap on all of the windows except the two by our bed, that is nice and cool to sleep next to! I will also add that we our using our water tank and it is full. I keep the hose in the basement with heat on so that it doesn't freeze and I will add water every couple of days. I dump the grey water in the flower bed area.
    Last edited by Nuffsaid; 12-17-2022 at 08:56 PM.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brrrrrrr………stay warm. Cuddling is a great option. Good luck.
    Randy and Kris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can get along with closed slide outs, closing them will reduce exposed surface area and cubic feet of air needing to be heated. Doing so should make keeping the RV warm inside easier.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, knocking on wood didn’t work, fresh water feed to the water pump froze last night. I had water when I showered around 10:00, but froze hard this morning. The basement was warm this morning when I woke up and the diesel heater still had fuel. I just turned the thermostat for the furnace up to 73 to keep the furnace running non stop and hopefully the water line will thaw. It doesn’t look good for later this week with a forecast of -31 Wed and Thursday

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am hoping my fresh water tank heater didn't fail. We only used maybe 20 gallons of water since filling the water tank and when I checked it today it shows empty. I will try and open the dump valve in the morning tomorrow and see what happens, if it doesn't open, heater might be failed. It is -8 right now as I type this at 8:50 pm. I have a solid stream of heat pumping into the belly and when I check temps on the frame rails with a temp gun they are holding mid 70's, so I know my spray foam is working. Grey water tanks were not frozen and I dumped them this morning without issue. Any repairs will have to wait until I pull the trailer home and it warms up a bit, hopefully there aren't any major issues. Worse case scenario I will blow out all of the water lines in the trailer with air.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, this cold front (EXTREME COLD and windchills) coming in a couple days days to the Plains/Midwest will be some of the most extreme in many years. It is already quite cold but this is a major hit coming.

To give folks an idea, our local weather team suggested that this cold will dip all the way to Cancun Mexico......no joke.

For the folks "wintering" in the deep south, be prepared......this is slated to be a very cold spell with killing wind chills in our area up north, with cold and wind chills impacting much of the US.

The AZ flight to Hawaii with many injuries and damage reported to the plane yesterday seems to be as a result of this VERY cold air coming to the US.

@Nuffsaid, with your background you are in a good position to prepare as you have shared but this will be a significant test. Best wishes.

Folks, be tuned in to the weather forecast for where you are and/or will be traveling as to the projected impact for you.

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 12-19-2022 at 08:06 AM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am hoping my fresh water tank heater didn't fail. We only used maybe 20 gallons of water since filling the water tank and when I checked it today it shows empty.
    This past summer we had to pull the underbelly under the FW tank. I was surprised to see how small the tank heater pad was. Maybe about a square foot. Definitely didn’t cover the entire tank. Maybe if the temps are too extreme, that small heater just can’t keep up.

Our solution is to head south!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the extreme cold that is headed our way, I gave up on trying to thaw the frozen line. I attempted to open the fresh water drain valve and it is frozen and no point in pulling too hard and breaking it. I went ahead and drained the water heater and blew compressed air through all of the water lines. Only issue is the line from the fresh water tank to the pump. I am scratching my head about one thing, I switched the nautilus panel over to tank fill and applied compressed air and I didn't seem to get any back pressure. I am hoping that a fitting didn't crack back towards the tank. I don't have any signs of water leaking from the coroplast and I couldn't hear any air leaking when I pressured up the line, but I did have the furnace and my diesel heater running in the basement, so it was pretty noisy. Maybe by Saturday when the worst of this cold front is gone I will try adding water to the tank. In the mean time I have constant heat going into the belly. If I have to drop the coroplast to inspect the plumbing, it will have to wait until I get home. I also have a repair I need to make to my sewer outlet pipe. I had a cap on the outlet with a hose bib fitting that I had the cap off of. The outlet froze solid from dripping water from the grey tanks and partially filled up the pipe down stream of the valves and split the 3 inch abs and elbow. I smeared some RTV silicone on the crack for now and will have to replace the pipe. If I end up having to drop the coroplast to make repairs, I will install a heat trace on the water line and insulate that pipe.
    Last edited by Nuffsaid; 12-19-2022 at 10:34 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine being in anything mobile with temps that low. Do take care all. Seems like New England might escape from the severe cold blast and get rain in the mid-50s with a rapid freeze after but only dipping to the teens if the weather channels can be believed. Ground temps here are well below freezing and nothing is melting.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sitting in the 5er at 7:00 AM, forecast temp -2 actual temp -9, new forecast low for Weds night -37!!!!!!!! Right now I have the furnace, the electric fire place, another electric heater and a diesel heater at 50% and I am maintaining 71 degrees, but my dear wife likes to sleep cool, so bedroom is around 55. Windows all have reflectex bubble wrap and 3m ceramic film (helps a lot with condensation) and at the bottom of each black out blind it feels like the window is open! Next to our bed the windows don't have reflectex, just the shades down and your arms will feel like they are in the freezer if you leave them outside the blankets too long, LOL I checked my propane tanks yesterday and my 100 lb bottle is still at least 50% and I swapped in a new 30 lb bottle. I have a spare full 100 lb bottle and I will fill up another 30lb bottle today because there is a good chance the good ol diesel truck might not be happy at -37!!! I might add, NO SKIRTING, but I have no idea if the water tank is mostly frozen since the drain valve is definitely froze up.
    Last edited by Nuffsaid; 12-20-2022 at 07:43 AM.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast