User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnzhang View Post
    i didn't bring the trailer in. I only brought the leaking tire to them and put it on back to my trailer. Do I have to have it balanced right now? or is this something I can hold for my next warranty repair (in several weeks or months) in the dealer?
    They must have pulled the tire to put in a new stem. Procedurally I think you should mount from inner rim outwards. Then they should have done a rebalance.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    They must have pulled the tire to put in a new stem. Procedurally I think you should mount from inner rim outwards. Then they should have done a rebalance.
    If that was balanced from the factory, I would be shocked.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    When we replaced our tires with Goodyears, we too went with metal valve stems. No more leaks, and more confidence while traveling.
    When I had my tires replaced with Good Year (Aug-2022) I had "hi-pressure" valve stems installed to better facilitate the TPMS Sensors.
    2018 RAM 3500 MC, CTD 6.7, 68RFE
    (2nd RAM MC w/CTD 85K Hitch Miles)
    2019 Imagine 2250RK, replaced hail destroyed BH (Brand X) in 2019.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnzhang View Post
    I found the air leak when pressing valve stem to the side on one wheel. Talked with Grand Design and they gave me the warranty claim form from Lionhead who make the wheel/tire assembly. Does anyone has similar issue like this and work with Lionhead to get the resolution? My RV is still within warranty, so I could take it to the dealer. But I would need to wait at least a couple of months before my service appoint. So i was thinking of taking the tire off and took it to some tire shop to replace the valve stem. Not sure if Lionhead would be OK with this way and reimbursed my expense under the warranty. Would call them on Monday. Would be interested to see whether anyone did this before.
    Couple points to add:
    1) As I found out with the same scenario you had, there are limited metal valve stems that will fit within the outer recess of the Lionshead wheel. A shop I went to didn't have in stock. I ordered Ford F-series N-1600 valve stems and have yet to install but found some references that they work.
    2) As for balancing, this is a big debate as to whether necessary. I do not recall seeing wheels balanced from the factory - has anyone? A tire shop also told me unnecessary. That being said, if you choose to do, a shop would need to have a pin plate adapter given a trailer wheel when attached is centered by the lug nuts, while your car wheel is centered by the center bore.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 2500 HD/Cummins Night Ed
    Missour-uh

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as balancing, why would trailer wheels be any different than any other vehicle as far as balancing? If you balance the wheels on your car or truck, why wouldn't you balance the wheels on your trailer? That is what I consider confusing.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    As far as balancing, why would trailer wheels be any different than any other vehicle as far as balancing? If you balance the wheels on your car or truck, why wouldn't you balance the wheels on your trailer? That is what I consider confusing.
    Yes, intuitively it doesn't make sense. That being said, a trailer wheel/tire is simply handling vertical loads, not involved in handling/steering/cornering like car wheels. Also ride comfort is not an issue, although we don't want our trailer shaking more than what the road conditions produce. In addition, solid axles can absorb some vibration vs independent suspensions in cars.
    I do inspect my wheels as I drive via the truck mirrors to make sure no obvious wheel hop as that potentially can increase bearing and leaf spring wear. As to interior vibration, lower grade vibrations are a fraction of what happens from our problematic highway surfaces.
    Anyway, feel free to research online. Unfortunately too many opinions, little science out there. But, when the RV manufacturers and trailer tire manufacturers that should know the most are not doing/recommending, that's something. But, it certainly won't hurt anything (other than your wallet) to do if you find a shop that can balance lug centric wheels.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 2500 HD/Cummins Night Ed
    Missour-uh

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many cars/trucks also have solid axles, especially trucks, but lots of cars have solid rear axles. I have no idea what you drive, but with all three of the 5th wheels I've owned, I could not see the tires under the trailer on any of them.

You're correct that the main issue with balancing trailer tires, IMO, is finding someone who can balance the lug-centric wheels.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Many cars/trucks also have solid axles, especially trucks, but lots of cars have solid rear axles. I have no idea what you drive, but with all three of the 5th wheels I've owned, I could not see the tires under the trailer on any of them.

You're correct that the main issue with balancing trailer tires, IMO, is finding someone who can balance the lug-centric wheels.
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! While Lug Centric wheels can be balanced within themselves, it really means nothing unless the lugs are really true to the hub.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! While Lug Centric wheels can be balanced within themselves, it really means nothing unless the lugs are really true to the hub.

Bill
    Can we count on that.... with the current manufacturing environment??
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, ya gotta start somewhere.
    Howard and Peggy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast