User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheel valve stem leak - warranty repair

I found the air leak when pressing valve stem to the side on one wheel. Talked with Grand Design and they gave me the warranty claim form from Lionhead who make the wheel/tire assembly. Does anyone has similar issue like this and work with Lionhead to get the resolution? My RV is still within warranty, so I could take it to the dealer. But I would need to wait at least a couple of months before my service appoint. So i was thinking of taking the tire off and took it to some tire shop to replace the valve stem. Not sure if Lionhead would be OK with this way and reimbursed my expense under the warranty. Would call them on Monday. Would be interested to see whether anyone did this before.
    2022 F250 SRW Lariat 7.3L GAS V8
    2022 Reflection 295RL
    Start RVing in 2021

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would pull the tire and have a stainless stem installed. Send the paperwork to Lionhead for possible reimbursement. It’s not an expensive repair and you’ll be in a better situation. When I upgraded to Goodyears I added stainless stems to all the wheels. A set of 4 runs maybe $20.
    Randy and Kris

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take it to a shop and get the stem replaced. Then you are back in business the same day. I would send in the bill to lionhead but I wouldn't expect anything of it. I'd probably forget about it and only remember if a response/cheque showed up.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we replaced our tires with Goodyears, we too went with metal valve stems. No more leaks, and more confidence while traveling.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that those TPMS sensors have caused problems with valve stems, especially the non metallic ones.

Steel stems are a better choice.
    Retired U.S. Navy Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Big Horn, CC, 6.7 Cummins
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, all. I am going to pull the tire off and get local shop to replace the stem. Also filed the warranty claim with Lionhead (tire/wheel manufacturer) and they would issue a check of $34 for both parts and labors. I don't know how much it costs for stem replacement, but I am going down this path even without their check.
    2022 Reflection 295RL
    Start RVing in 2021

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnzhang View Post
    Thank you, all. I am going to pull the tire off and get local shop to replace the stem. Also filed the warranty claim with Lionhead (tire/wheel manufacturer) and they would issue a check of $34 for both parts and labors. I don't know how much it costs for stem replacement, but I am going down this path even without their check.
    I might suggest you have the tire shop balance it while it is there. Discount Tire and other tire shops do service trailers.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Discount Tires will likely replace the valve stem free. They did mine, and repaired a TV tire free on another occasion. One reason I buy all my tires there

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
    I might suggest you have the tire shop balance it while it is there. Discount Tire and other tire shops do service trailers.
    i didn't bring the trailer in. I only brought the leaking tire to them and put it on back to my trailer. Do I have to have it balanced right now? or is this something I can hold for my next warranty repair (in several weeks or months) in the dealer?
    2022 Reflection 295RL
    Start RVing in 2021

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Discount Tires will likely replace the valve stem free. They did mine, and repaired a TV tire free on another occasion. One reason I buy all my tires there
    i like discount tire more for the reason you mentioned.
    2022 Reflection 295RL
    Start RVing in 2021

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast