User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teledoc View Post
    Yes, intuitively it doesn't make sense. That being said, a trailer wheel/tire is simply handling vertical loads, not involved in handling/steering/cornering like car wheels. Also ride comfort is not an issue, although we don't want our trailer shaking more than what the road conditions produce. In addition, solid axles can absorb some vibration vs independent suspensions in cars.
    I do inspect my wheels as I drive via the truck mirrors to make sure no obvious wheel hop as that potentially can increase bearing and leaf spring wear. As to interior vibration, lower grade vibrations are a fraction of what happens from our problematic highway surfaces.
    Anyway, feel free to research online. Unfortunately too many opinions, little science out there. But, when the RV manufacturers and trailer tire manufacturers that should know the most are not doing/recommending, that's something. But, it certainly won't hurt anything (other than your wallet) to do if you find a shop that can balance lug centric wheels.
    Back when I was young and broke, I needed some used tires, when the man at thetire shop added up my total, he must have noticed that my money was really tight. He advised me that I could save some money by not balancing the rear wheels. He said that on a solid rear axle i would not be able to tell the difference. I found that he was right.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Back when I was young and broke, I needed some used tires, when the man at thetire shop added up my total, he must have noticed that my money was really tight. He advised me that I could save some money by not balancing the rear wheels. He said that on a solid rear axle i would not be able to tell the difference. I found that he was right.
    At the Esso station I worked at in the 1960s, this was standard operating procedure - we recommended customers not pay to have the rears balanced unless suspension was independent. Solid axle, no balance.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But there are lots of "Old Mechanics' Tales" that are rooted in "alternative facts". Just because they've been passed down by lots of mechanics doesn't make them so. Personally I think most tires are "close enough" and may not require balancing. But it give me the warm fuzzies, so I like to have it done. I do my motorcycle tires too.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123