User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I forget exactly why I went from 5200 to7000 on the Sabre. But I think, the 7000 had the heavy wall tube, larger bearings and larger brakes.. But it had the same 6 lug bolt pattern. IOW, it was the strongest option that was basically plug and play. The price difference was minimal.
    I installed the 6K Trail Aire equalizer, and the Never Fail bushings all at once. That setup was bullet proof.
    Where did you find a 7000# axle that would take 6 lug rims? That would be the best case scenario.
    I think I read somewhere that you can get 6000# axles in two different wall thicknesses but I'm having trouble sifting through all the axle info on the net.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Where did you find a 7000# axle that would take 6 lug rims? That would be the best case scenario.
    I think I read somewhere that you can get 6000# axles in two different wall thicknesses but I'm having trouble sifting through all the axle info on the net.
    I remember that they had light, medium, and heavy axles. Obviously as you go up in rating, the walls will get thicker. In addition you can custom order axles. It doesn't cost much more, You just gotta wait for them.
    Auto Safety House is where I bought mine
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This “precision” mechanic work may be in my future.

https://youtu.be/NS0na5TsDws
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    250 miles on new tires. Camping on the Colorado river in Ehrenberg, AZ. So nice. No obvious edgewear on new tires. Will measure tread depth when I get to Tucson. Tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2951.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	44524
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2950.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	44525

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW. I’m did put a torque wrench on the lug nuts after the 250 miles on the new tires. They all turned just a little to get the click.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I'd like that method. I would think the original axles are bent as one arc, end to end. One continuous arc. That shop is adjusting the arc in the last 3 feet or so. So if your spindle is bent up, he's correcting it by adding more arc to the corresponding end of the tube? Or less arc if it is bent the other way I guess. Maybe it's fine. I'm just not sure if two wrongs make a right in trailer suspensions.
    Flystar, I'm sure you will chat with him and decide if it's for you or not. Post up how it goes if you use his services.
    As mentioned in another thread, no alignment provisions for trailer axles, just brute force. I think I'd stand further away from those chains. Better yet, use slings to avoid getting a link in the forehead.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I'm not sure I'd like that method. I would think the original axles are bent as one arc, end to end. One continuous arc. That shop is adjusting the arc in the last 3 feet or so. So if your spindle is bent up, he's correcting it by adding more arc to the corresponding end of the tube? Or less arc if it is bent the other way I guess. Maybe it's fine. I'm just not sure if two wrongs make a right in trailer suspensions.
    Flystar, I'm sure you will chat with him and decide if it's for you or not. Post up how it goes if you use his services.
    As mentioned in another thread, no alignment provisions for trailer axles, just brute force. I think I'd stand further away from those chains. Better yet, use slings to avoid getting a link in the forehead.
    I do not like that fix either He states they get out of alignment.
    If the spring hangers are welded on right, then it will only "get out of alignment" due to worn parts, or impact damage. If parts are worn, the proper fix is to replace them. If the axle got bent due to impact, it is likely because the manufacturer installed the weakest axles possible. Just bending it back into spec will not fix a weak axle problem. The next pothole you hit will likely just bend it again. And for what an alignment costs, one would be better off upgrading the axle. That is a much more durable fix. Now, brand new axles can be out of spec, and hangers can be welded on wrong, but those issues are very unlikely.
    I like to have the strongest possible running gear.
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-19-2023 at 09:56 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I do not like that fix either He states they get out of alignment.
    If the spring hangers are welded on right, then it will only "get out of alignment" due to worn parts, or impact damage. If parts are worn, the proper fix is to replace them. If the axle got bent due to impact, it is likely because the manufacturer installed the weakest axles possible. Just bending it back into spec will not fix a weak axle problem. The next pothole you hit will likely just bend it again. And for what an alignment costs, one would be better off upgrading the axle. That is a much more durable fix. Now, brand new axles can be out of spec, and hangers can be welded on wrong, but those issues are very unlikely.
    I like to have the strongest possible running gear.
    Not sure on the weakest axles possible theory. Many trailers have mare than sufficient axles. I had an SOB 28' 5er with over 4000lbs for CCC. It had 5200# AL-CO axles. Still needed an alignment.
    I've have 3 different trailers that all needed an alignment and all were axles from different manufactures.
    Lippert 4400#, AL-CO 5200# and Dexter 5200#.
    Most all needed aligning around the 10,000 mile period. Two had plastic bushings. One has the wet bolts. One had no rubber equalizer and two had rubber equalizers with one being a MR3000. along with shocks.

Just my opinion of course but it seems to me that the quality of axles being produced by Dexter has dropped. I always thought of them as the gold standard. But after having one they don't seem any better than the rest.

One thing of note regarding weak axles. On my Heartland TT I owned back in 2010 when it needed an alignment the guy doing the alignment mentioned the axle material being soft. So he added extra camber to it. It was a Lippert 4400# axle.

I called Dexter Parts Online and talked about getting a new 5200# axle and it's $375 plus $200 to ship. For $150 I can get my bad one aligned. I'm doing the aligning since who can guaranty the new axle is perfect?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an SOB 28' 5er with over 4000lbs for CCC. It had 5200# AL-CO axles. Still needed an alignment.
    I've have 3 different trailers that all needed an alignment and all were axles from different manufactures.
    You have had some pretty awful luck with trailers goducks.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 01-20-2023 at 05:15 AM. Reason: spelling
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure on the weakest axles possible theory. Many trailers have mare than sufficient axles. I had an SOB 28' 5er with over 4000lbs for CCC. It had 5200# AL-CO axles. Still needed an alignment.
    Lippert 4400#, AL-CO 5200# and Dexter 5200#.
    Most all needed aligning around the 10,000 mile period. Two had plastic bushings. One has the wet bolts. One had no rubber equalizer and two had rubber equalizers with one being a MR3000. along with shocks.

Just my opinion of course but it seems to me that the quality of axles being produced by Dexter has dropped. I always thought of them as the gold standard. But after having one they don't seem any better than the rest.

One thing of note regarding weak axles. On my Heartland TT I owned back in 2010 when it needed an alignment the guy doing the alignment mentioned the axle material being soft. So he added extra camber to it. It was a Lippert 4400# axle.

I called Dexter Parts Online and talked about getting a new 5200# axle and it's $375 plus $200 to ship. For $150 I can get my bad one aligned. I'm doing the aligning since who can guaranty the new axle is perfect?
    Your Heartland probably had the light tubes,,which will seem soft compared to a medium or heavy tube. Putting more camber in a light tube by bending it will not make it stronger. It is possible to put camber in them by running weld beads on them. I have never heard of a shop that does it that way. It is kind of a black art. I have done some experimenting on this using 10' angle stock, and it does transform the metal. It was very interestiing, and definantly made it stronger so I know it can work. There is more to axles than just the weight ratings.My 2001 Wilderness had 3500# axles, but they were not the standard 2-3/8" tube. They were heavy 3" tubes. When you custom order an axle you can mix and match parts to a point. And it doesn't cost all that much to do so. You just gotta wait for it.
    As for new axles being out of spec.. Anything is possible, but that would be pretty rare.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast