Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best remedy for 2021 Silverado 4x4 crew cab custom rear sag

Good morning everyone,
    I'm curious about what is one of the better solutions to prevent rear end sag when towing with Silverado 1500. My hitch weight is about 550 lbs, which is well below the recommend amount. I have had the suspension checked and everything is working as should. I'm just not happy and have general concerns about it. Does anyone have a recommendation to help the sag, with out breaking the bank.
    Thank you,
    Chris
    Last edited by csternfels; 12-21-2022 at 07:56 AM.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csternfels View Post
    Good morning everyone,
    I'm curious about what is one of the better solutions to prevent rear end sag when towing. My hitch weight is about 550 lbs, which is well below the recommend amount. I have had the suspension checked and everything is working as should. I'm just not happy and have general concerns about it. Does anyone have a recommendation to help the sag, with out breaking the bank.
    Thank you,
    Chris
    Hi Chris---I have added rear air bags with an onboard compressor to my last few GM trucks and love it. It's more to help with chucking than the sag but it would also address that too. Is this a 1500 or HD like a 2500 or 3500?
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good morning everyone,
    I'm curious about what is one of the better solutions to prevent rear end sag when towing. My hitch weight is about 550 lbs, which is well below the recommend amount. I have had the suspension checked and everything is working as should. I'm just not happy and have general concerns about it. Does anyone have a recommendation to help the sag, with out breaking the bank.
    Thank you,
    Chris
    On my Silverado, I've installed Timbrens (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008N93PI4). They've worked well for me.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a 1500

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a 1500
    I think your two options are the Timbrens or the air bags as noted. Each offer pros and cons. I'm assuming you have leaf springs in the rear and not coil? I did try the Timbrens for a thousand miles or so and didn't like them and sent them back but they do receive good reviews from others. My friend has them on his dually with a truck camper and likes them. I like the customization of the air bags but it is a more costly solution.

Also---do you have a weight distributing hitch? With that style of hitch you can control a bit of the sag and weight that's distributed between the truck and camper tongue.
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much the same as the Timbrens but I used SumoSprings on my RAM. They work great on stopping the "chucking" but also address any sag you would have.

https://www.amazon.com/SuperSprings-...dDbGljaz10cnVl
    Bobby K.
    2021 Reflection 150 260RD
    2016 Ram 2500 CTD
    Central Maryland

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    Hi Chris---I have added rear air bags with an onboard compressor to my last few GM trucks and love it. It's more to help with chucking than the sag but it would also address that too. Is this a 1500 or HD like a 2500 or 3500?
    Even though I do not own a Chevy, I too ALSO recommend dual path airbags over the Timbrens. I have had Timbrens on my F150 prior to airbags and did not like the ride of the Timbrens constantly siting on the axle. Much rougher ride on bad roads than the airbags IMO. Plus with airbags I was able to level out the truck suspension while towing allowing for better weight distribution on the trucks suspension. Would also recommend a aftermarket rear anti-sway bar too if your truck does not already have one.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for Timbrins or Sumo Springs.

I have the Timbrins and love them. Easy to install (took me like 15 minutes).

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Even though I do not own a Chevy, I too ALSO recommend dual path airbags over the Timbrens. I have had Timbrens on my F150 prior to airbags and did not like the ride of the Timbrens constantly siting on the axle. Much rougher ride on bad roads than the airbags IMO. Plus with airbags I was able to level out the truck suspension while towing allowing for better weight distribution on the trucks suspension. Would also recommend a aftermarket rear anti-sway bar too if your truck does not already have one.
    Jim---totally resonate with your comments on the air bags after having both. No comparison. I've been thinking of adding a rear sway bar to my new truck. They seem to be pricey but well liked by those that have them. Any recommendations on brands or features to look for?

Dave

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your sagging due to just 500 lbs., then I'm assuming you just need a weight distribution hitch and set up properly.

What GD unit has just 500 lbs tounge weight?

Helps to add that to your signature.
    Retired U.S. Navy Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Big Horn, CC, 6.7 Cummins
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast