Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defrosting the frig and freezer

Hello,
    Looks like I've got quite a bit of frost and ice built up in both the refrigerator and freezer.

We have a big cold front coming, so maybe it's a good time to "defrost" and I can just set my food outside to not spoil...

I have a Dometic appliance (in my Imagine 2970RL), and I didn't see anything in the manual about defrosting.

...Is there anything more to it, than just removing the food and turning the unit off..?
    I suppose having some old towels on the floor for possible leaking/draining is a good idea..?
    Anything else?
    ...How long can I expect this to take?

Thanks, CCE
    2020 GD Imagine 2970-RL

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post
    Hello,
    Looks like I've got quite a bit of frost and ice built up in both the refrigerator and freezer.

We have a big cold front coming, so maybe it's a good time to "defrost" and I can just set my food outside to not spoil...

I have a Dometic appliance (in my Imagine 2970RL), and I didn't see anything in the manual about defrosting.

...Is there anything more to it, than just removing the food and turning the unit off..?
    I suppose having some old towels on the floor for possible leaking/draining is a good idea..?
    Anything else?
    ...How long can I expect this to take?

Thanks, CCE
    Towels and a blow dryer to help defrost the buildup should work.

Would recommend a couple things: Install some fans inside your fridge. This will help with frost buildup on the fins while also helping it cool down faster and circulate the cooler air throughout the fridge. Second recommendation would be to take a dollar bill and use it to check your freezer and fridge gaskets with the doors closed on the dollar bill. This will tell you whether you have leaky gaskets which can cause frost to a build up too. If the bill can be pulled easily while pinched in the gasket, try cleaning the gasket surface with some Tilex or bleach cleaner. When cleaned the doors should be a little harder to open due to the suction of the gasket against the fridge.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim and Annette -- tomorrow/Thursday is the day I'll try it
    2020 GD Imagine 2970-RL