User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caterpillar345 View Post
    Noted on the 337 pin weight. I'll have to play around with loading the trailer and how that affects the pin weight. And probably not haul it fully loaded. Good time to go use the CAT scale!
    There's no "playing around" loading the 337. All of the cargo space is forward of the axles. A portion of anything you load in the trailer will go on the pin. That truck/trailer combination is just not suitable.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full Timing in 315RLTS vs 337RLS

Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There's no "playing around" loading the 337. All of the cargo space is forward of the axles. A portion of anything you load in the trailer will go on the pin. That truck/trailer combination is just not suitable.

Rob
    Gotta agree with Rob here, not enough truck. The pin weight alone exceeds the payload of your truck, however not all is lost. Since you outlined that you would be pretty much stationary for about a year, it is entirely feasible to have the rig delivered to your location. I would highly recommend that. That gives you time to enjoy your current truck and potentially find something suitable for when you are ready to move it.

My 315 has a tongue weight that varies from 1350 to about 1500. As Rob pointed out the fiver has much more pin weight. This is due to the different percentages of pin/tongue weight between tt and a fiver. Trailer is 10-15% while fiver is 20-25% of total weight. Definitely something to keep in mind.

Like I said, I think delivery is a great idea and gives you time to get a truck you can use to enjoy the rig throughout this wonderful country.

Good luck with it!

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caterpillar345 View Post
    Noted on the 337 pin weight. I'll have to play around with loading the trailer and how that affects the pin weight. And probably not haul it fully loaded. Good time to go use the CAT scale!
    I have the 337 and am very close on pin weight loaded when weighed at scales (I use GAWR, GCWR etc that are engineered specs for axle and braking limits, not artificial weight cap set by DOT for Class 2B 3/4 ton truck of 10k. No flame war please). I allow for 3000 lbs max before approaching GAWR, and have measured pin weights moderately loaded of 2800 on average moderate packing for 2 people.
    Now, since you will rarely be moving this, I offer two suggestions - 1) You can save a bit of weight by changing to a Reese Goosebox instead of traditional 5th wheel hitch as it is lighter than that and the pin box combined, and 2) You always can load some heavy materials/tools/grill/food/liquids etc in back of the 337 to reduce pin weight on your travel day. Not convenient if moving often, but for a rare move perfectly fine. I usually put some stuff in back anyway to ensure margin on long trips where we are more heavily loaded... .
    Having debated both the 337 and 315 myself, I went with the 337 due to the far superior basement space and bit bigger kitchen as you pointed out. For full timing, it is a storage monster.
    For winter, the Pacific NW, esp west of the Cascades is fairly moderate. I have used mine in the midwest with temps to 15 without issue - I put some thermometer sensors in the basement and under kitchen floor to monitor from a display in the coach so I can keep track.
    If above 32, I use electric heat (fireplace plus extra electric heater if needed) to save money since electric part of campground fee, but if temps going below freezing I make sure the furnace runs as that is the main heat source underneath rig/basement. Enjoy the rig - all the 337 owners I have met loved theirs!
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 2500 HD/Cummins Night Ed
    Missour-uh

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great suggestions and insight. I'll add a few comments.

1. If you're going to be pulling in a mountainous area, which you probably are, I would have someone move the 5er to your site for you. If you had to move locally, your truck should handle that.
    2. In lieu of double pane windows you can get a film at Home Depot that you can put on the frame covering the window and heat shrink to remove wrinkles. Did this on my last 5er in subzero weather. Removed the film in the spring. Made a huge difference.
    3. I purchased a 6x6 area rug to put in front of the fire place. Beneath it is a non slip insulated pad and a rug heater. Heats up quickly on those cold mornings and adds to the general heat of the unit.
    4. Replace the sink and fixture in the bathroom to one that is of a usable size. I also replaced the kitchen sink in mine with a double.
    I have done many "upgrades" and love the 337RLS. We are full time, 6 months at our property in Southern Utah, 5 months in Yuma, AZ and 1 month being a gypsy.

Enjoy the lifestyle, even though you still have to work.
    Tim and Julie
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2010 Ram 3500 SRW
    Home base Southern Utah

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also looking at these two choices. What I don’t like is the raised floor in the 315’s bedroom closet. I think this would make adding a washer and dryer a pain to get to losing ceiling height? I will be ordering a Dually 1 ton soon so not worried about the pin weight differences.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
    I am also looking at these two choices. What I don’t like is the raised floor in the 315’s bedroom closet. I think this would make adding a washer and dryer a pain to get to losing ceiling height? I will be ordering a Dually 1 ton soon so not worried about the pin weight differences.
    Very understandable. The 315 does make allowances to install the washer on the street side and the dryer on the curb side to keep from literally stacking floor to ceiling, but it is a tight fit no matter what. We opted to not install a w/d at all. May be a game changer for us when we do longer trips.

If you have the truck, the 337 is better for mobility. For us the 315 works because it is just the two of us and we really travel pretty light. My knees are blown and my wife’s back is a sheer mess, so one less set of steps weighed heavily on our decision.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Very understandable. The 315 does make allowances to install the washer on the street side and the dryer on the curb side to keep from literally stacking floor to ceiling, but it is a tight fit no matter what. We opted to not install a w/d at all. May be a game changer for us when we do longer trips.

If you have the truck, the 337 is better for mobility. For us the 315 works because it is just the two of us and we really travel pretty light. My knees are blown and my wife’s back is a sheer mess, so one less set of steps weighed heavily on our decision.

Bill
    Makes sense thank you. My wife and I are also at the age of back and knee issues, so that is a great point for sure.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings
    My wife and I went through the same comparison in 2020 prior to going full-time. We went with the 337 and very grateful we did. You’ve been provided some very insightful offerings and after wintering in the NE these past 3 years, including this last Arctic blast where our outside temps bottomed out at -24.
    1. Get the skirt. With the gooseneck area enclosed it creates a easily accessible storage area/garage. There maybe a maker in WA or ID so going to SD may not be necessary. The tube skirt option was a non-starter for us.
    2. The kitchen area counter space will work very well for you as we cook 90% of our meals and the stove and island space makes it work.
    3. The black out shades with fitted reflexit secured by Velcro in the windows definitely cuts down on the cold. I’m also using the plastic window shrink wrap on a couple windows for comparison.
    4. Agree that you don’t have enough truck as our 3500 is below but very close to the weight/load limits.
    5. You’ll definitely appreciate the higher ceiling in the living area. Shower is spacious and depending on your height the bedroom is comfortable and can accommodate a king size bed.
    6. Get a external 100 gallon propane tank. Otherwise, you’ll be refilling your twin 30#’s twice a week when the sustained cold temps.
    7. 750/1500 watt electric space heaters are great. We run 2 on low along with the fireplace which has kept the interior comfortable even in the height of this last freeze. Keep the 2 on low as on high you’ll pop the outlet breaker. We cycle on the furnace a couple times during the day to keep the belly/tanks/lines warm. And, have the furnace as primary at night. Bluetooth temp sensors I installed help me keep eyes on the temps.
    8. I have a rear mounted carrier that has a 300lb capacity. Use this when traveling to disperse the weight. Also, now use this as a storage shelf tucked into the skirt garage.
    9. Side suggestions: have a heated hose for the cold temps. Have a couple strands of electric cable to wrap around the hose if it fails. You’ll also want to use a run of it on your water regulator. Park your trailer tires on a 1/4” or 1/2” rubber matt. I bought a horse stall rubber pad from Tractor Supply and cut it into 4’s and place a cut under each tire. Seems to help preserve the base of the ground side tire. And, yes, you should about doing a 1/4 turn of your tires every 3 months or so.
    Hope this helps.
    Enjoy!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2023 337RLS FW and my sister has a 2023 315RLTS TT and both floor plans are nearly identical. Differences we have noted are:
    - The TT has an additional clothes closet with drawers in the bedroom but has a less floor storage in the main closet (due to the storage bay being under the closet).
    - The TT has a storage cabinet about the headboard of the bed and the side windows in the slide are taller.
    - The FW has about a food more floor space between the island and the rear of the trailer.
    - The FW has an additional storage space above the theater seats.
    - The FW storage bay is huge, many times larger. Plus there is additional front storage bay.
    - Pantries are about the same.
    - Counter space next to the FW stove is bigger and the FW has a better cooktop separate oven.
    - Refrigerators are the same.
    - TV is the same but the entertainment center layout is different.
    - TT has a skylight above the island, FW has pendant lights.
    - The 2023 TT has GE A/C, the 2023 FW had Coleman A/C. Furnace and water heaters are the same in both.
    - Propane bottles are the same on both.
    - Automatic leveling on the FW, manual electric on the TT.

If you are already set up to tow a 5th wheel, I believe the 337RLS would serve you better due to the many times larger storage bay space. As far as the interior layout goes, they are practically equal. The 5th wheel is easier to tow and hook up, but the TT allows you to have more stuff in the bed of your truck while towing.

I believe you will have no problem towing either rig with your truck. We tow with a 1 ton single wheel diesel truck, my brother in law uses a 3/4 ton gas truck and they both work great.
    2023 Reflection 337RLS
    2021 GMC 3500 AT4HD LB
    B&W Companion OEM hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @caterpillar345

Good choice on the 337RLS 5er.... we love our 2019! There's lots of mods you can do to it like lighting, plumbing, electrical, etc... one of the first things I suggest is have the dealer install slide toppers and ceiling vent covers before you pick it up. One easy mod you can do yourself is replacing the dual handle faucet on the bathroom sink with a single lever faucet. You can pick one up for around $50, it makes it easier to get your hands under the faucet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211006-202856_Photos.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	44299
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12