User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lesson Learned - Know about your Water Heater 2amp fuse

We had a fantastic time on our 54 night, 38 stops, trip from Oceanside Calif to Washington DC and back. All planned using RV Trip Wizard. Cannot say enough good things about that program, well worth the membership fee. But back to the topic of this post. How many of you know that there is a little 2amp fuse on many of our water heaters. At lest on the newer models. We found out the hard way.

About 12 days into our trip, we no longer had hot water. Neither the gas or the electric would fire off. I called Grand Design Custom support, and they walked me through checking the thermal fuse, but that was just fine. My rep then told me my only option was to find a mobile service tech, or any dealer other than Camping World. What a nightmare that was. The RV dealer at my next stop in Memphis TN, (right next to our RV park), was very unsympathetic and said they were booked out 3 weeks, so sooo sorry...... Next I called a few mobile techs, and finally found one that would try his best to come to my location in Memphis the next day.

So off we went the next morning to our next stop EZ Daze RV park inn Southaven MS. A 4 hour drive. As we were driving through Arkansas, I turned to my wife, and asked her to do a Google search for GD dealers. She started looking, and in a few minutes said "Hey, there is one really close to us right now, "Moix RV Supercenter". I looked up and there on the left side of the freeway was a huge sign, "MOIX RV". And to the right was the exit. It was about noon, as we drive up to the dealers lot. A very friendly mechanic getting ready for his lunch, listen to my plight, and said, let's go find the service manager. I told him about my broken water heater, and he asked me "Did you check the 2 amp fuse on the water heater control panel?". My reply "There is a 2 amp fuse???" He and his co-workers (three of them), walked out to my trailer, pulled out the 2 amp fuse, yep it was blown. He said any minor power surge can blow this fuse. Its job is to protect the control panel. (Yes I have a surge protector) He put in a new fuse, we tested the gas, and presto, all working as expected. No charge, no hassle, great set of folks at Moix RV. I tiped them 20$ for some beer after work. Seems they are the largest GD dealers in the area. I must say, my wife and I were very happy to have hot water again.

So, please, check your water heater, compare to the attached picture. See if you have the model with the control panel and 2 amp fuse. If so, be sure you carry a spare or two.

I have to say, I was very disappointed in GD's over the phone trouble shooting. How they do not have "check the 2 amp fuse" in their trouble shooting flow chart is beyond me. Much easier step then checking the thermal fuse. Plus if your 45 dollar thermal fuse blows it's a major issue, as it means your thermostats are defective.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water Heater CPanel.jpg  
    Bob & Francie - Oceanside CA
    2018 F150 Platinum, SuperCrew 4x4 3.5L V6 EB, 145”WB, Max trailer tow pkg
    Our RV: Imagine 2022 XLS 22MLE - Purchased 2/22/2022.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bob. Great info!!
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never even knew that little 2A fuse was in there. Thanks for posting!
    Going to make sure I have a couple.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thermal cutoff on the back of the water heater isn’t $45 and very easy to replace. It’s the most common failure on a lot of water heaters, mine included. I bought a 4 pack on Amazon for about $15.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Vanteer , Great info, thanks.

Which water heater do you have ? Also do you knnow if this fuse is on the other heaters?
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FjClay View Post
    The thermal cutoff on the back of the water heater isn’t $45 and very easy to replace. It’s the most common failure on a lot of water heaters, mine included. I bought a 4 pack on Amazon for about $15.
    That was the dealer price, so good he was out of stock. I will check out that 4 pack on Amazon.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    @Vanteer , Great info, thanks.

Which water heater do you have ? Also do you knnow if this fuse is on the other heaters?
    I have the Dometci WH-6GEA. As to other units sorry no idea.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RObear

Good stuff. As a new GD owner this is the stuff I need to know......Don/Kid

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info Vanteer. Thanks for sharing!
    George & Ronda
    2023 Momentum 376THS-R
    2020 F450 Platinum

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moix is the best around have bought 6 campers from them over about 25 years they have a camp moix camp out with 4 to 5 trips all over the usa ,they been doing this for years also had 2 GD rally's service is the best oh on these trips they take part of the service dept with them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast