User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only alignment wiggle room you have is in the u-bolt/spring plate/axle slop. Other than that it is grind off the spring mounts and measure...

One tire wearing is not an alignment issue......you have checked the bearings and they are good?
    If it was an alignment issue the opposite tire on the same axle would shows signs of wear as well. Not necessarily the same wear...but some kind of abnormal wear.
    A bent spindle is fixed by replacing the axle...not a difficult job actually. Although not convenient when home is the other side of the country.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    The only alignment wiggle room you have is in the u-bolt/spring plate/axle slop. Other than that it is grind off the spring mounts and measure...

One tire wearing is not an alignment issue......you have checked the bearings and they are good?
    If it was an alignment issue the opposite tire on the same axle would shows signs of wear as well. Not necessarily the same wear...but some kind of abnormal wear.
    A bent spindle is fixed by replacing the axle...not a difficult job actually. Although not convenient when home is the other side of the country.
    Thank SandW. Then. The big question is one axle, both axles, springs too, heavier springs ??? Ahhh. The choices. If it comes to that I’ll probably go with 6000 lb axles and springs all around.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    I have Dexter 5200 lb axles. Right rear tire is wearing excessively on inside edge. (Currently down to
    The wear bars on the edge) Planning to check bearings and replace all 4 tires and keep an eye on it. ( They have 19,000 miles on em and all 4 are checking and cracking down in the tread grooves) Based on what I’m learning here, if the edge wear is still excessive on the new tire, I’ll have to replace the axle or more likely have a pro trailer shop take a look. Hanging out in Arizona for the winter. The 3000 mile journey home in March on the new GYE tires should be a good test.
    Whatever you decide to do, get it done BEFORE new tires. Otherwise you will just damage a new tire,
    I am a proponent of stronger axles. As bad as a lot of roads are, and as weak as most axles are from the factory, it is a change that is worthwhile. My last TT came with 5200# axles. I upgraded to 7000# axles. My present Momentum was to have three 7000# axles, the factory started offering 8000# as an option. I was able to change my order and get them. They are noiticably beefier,
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Actually they bend the axles to align them.
    Yes this can be done. But I am not a fan of that fix.
    There are no alighnment adjustments as is common with autos.
    The alignment is set when the spring hangers are welded to the frame, If they are welded in the proper location then a undamaged axle will be in alignment. If the axle gets bent then it likely was too weak for the job. A stronger axle would be my fix. Just bending the present axle back just means it will likely bend again,,,and easier than it did the first time.
    If the hangers are welded on wrong, then they should be cut off and new ones welded on in the proper location.. Some will advocate bending the axles into to shape compensating for the misinstalled hangers. This can work BUT, if an axle needs to be replaced later due to a spun bearing, road damage etc., you would then need to get a new axle, and find an alignment shop to have it custom bent to match the first one. If the hangers are in the proper location, all you need to do is install a new axle and it is fixed. It could be done on the side of the road in a pinch.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    Thank SandW. Then. The big question is one axle, both axles, springs too, heavier springs ??? Ahhh. The choices. If it comes to that I’ll probably go with 6000 lb axles and springs all around.
    I'd probably up one axle rating if I was changing the axles out. But be careful of how heavy a spring you opt for. The heavier you go, the harder it is on the trailer. ie..if the trailer can't flex the springs, the road harshness is going right into the trailer.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Actually they bend the axles to align them.
    I'd bet it would be difficult to find a shop actually qualified to do that kind of work?
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd probably up one axle rating if I was changing the axles out. But be careful of how heavy a spring you opt for. The heavier you go, the harder it is on the trailer. ie..if the trailer can't flex the springs, the road harshness is going right into the trailer.
    You can have them custom made. Generally they have 3 choices in tube thickness light,medium, and heavy. I have had them made thru Auto Safety House.It did not cost much if anymore, I just had to wait for them IIRC the axles/spindles were 110.00, This was in 2006 I just transferred the brakes/ drums over.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure you would run afoul of resort management by swapping out axles on your site.....just sayin'..lol
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem. I’ll just do it late at night. Just kidding. Will wait until I’m back in my cozy heated glamorous storage bay back home. Which is more expensive than my apartment in college (in the 70’s). But maybe I can rationalize the storage cost based on what dealers charge for doing routine and maybe not so routine service.

And I’m willing to chance ruining a new tire vs using the spare wheel and the Westlake tire. 3000 miles on the spare Westlake just seems like a bad idea. Plus it would look bad unless I had the Westlake mounted on the nice wheel. Plus it would be one tire much different than the other three. Not good.

Thanks to all for the advice and insight. I think I could DIY a new axle based on what I’ve learned here. If I need too.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd bet it would be difficult to find a shop actually qualified to do that kind of work?
    I had an axle on a previous trailer that you could see the tilt (camber) on one of the rear tires. There's a very good truck frame / alignment shop near me that was able to bend it back into spec.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast