User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    The only alignment wiggle room you have is in the u-bolt/spring plate/axle slop. Other than that it is grind off the spring mounts and measure...

One tire wearing is not an alignment issue......you have checked the bearings and they are good?
    If it was an alignment issue the opposite tire on the same axle would shows signs of wear as well. Not necessarily the same wear...but some kind of abnormal wear.
    A bent spindle is fixed by replacing the axle...not a difficult job actually. Although not convenient when home is the other side of the country.
    I actually had this issue on two campers now and it was a case where one tire was only wearing. The first was on a Forest River Wildcat. It would only wear one of the tires on the driver's side. I had a truck and camper shop bend the axle and it worked perfectly for many more years before I sold it. I would wear a tire down within a couple thousand miles. I understand there could be some reservations about bending things but I was told it's common practice on the trailers and campers and works well if done right.

The second was on my 40' Montana which I just recently sold. It had the Lippert Correct Track system on it and the tow was adjustable. I found that one side could be out and the opposite still in alignment enough to not wear the tires. I was able to map out all the measurements on my pavement with string and a tape measure and find where the one side needed adjusted. I really liked that Lippert system and the adjustments it allowed. Once I moved that camber nut and pushed the axle forward....everything was in alignment and my tire wear stopped.

I think there are options...just depends on how deep you want to go with the repair or to course correct what was delivered from the factory. Upgrading to heavier duty components will certainly be a better option but more costly of course.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually had my 5th wheel alignment fixed when it had common 7,000 lb Dexter axles. I had it aligned by a professional trailer alignment shop. It wasn't hard and they said most all trailers are out of alignment day one - it's just a matter of how far out they are. It cost me less than $300 (about 3 years ago).

The fix, for them, was simple and easy and took a bit more than an hour. Best of all they let me watch as they explained what was going on and they happily answered all my questions.

The put a touch to either the top, botton, front or rear of the axel to remove any misalignment. They said they use to do the bending with chains and hydraulic rams but the heat 'thing' is much more precise and less time consuming. It seemed to me they used the same laser technology as for aligning cars (targets, checking runout, computers showing angles & such, etc.

This is a well known shop in our area than many folks have been to for trailers and motorhomes. They even have a shake table but mostly it is for motorized RVs. They do everything from small trailers up to semi-trucks.

When I asked them about bent wheels and bearings causing issue they said hardly ever. It is almost always the axles.

After they aligned my 5th wheel I had no unusual wear on the tires for thousands of miles. Prior to that I was wearing the inside and/or outside of tires on one or more positions. No manner of rotating or checking bearings did anything.

So bottom line, from someone who actually has experienced uneven wear and had it resolved - go to a professional alignment shop and let them determine what is wrong. It's a lot cheaper than throwing parts (like tires) at the problem.

If you are in the Orlando area look up Josam Frame & Alignment. You won't be sorry.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The place where I get my alignments done said even when installing a new axle on a trailer they still align it. Frankly I wouldn't trust any new axle these days.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    Depends on what type of axles and system you have. If you have the Lippert Correct Track...it's pretty easy to measure and adjust toe. If the camber is out because of bent axles or spindles...then axles must be bent to correct. I've had these procedures done on my campers before. Nowadays...it can be costly if needed.
    Yes it is. One can buy new axles for less.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    The Frankly I wouldn't trust any new axle these days.

Why? It is one of the few items still made here in the USA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

Why? It is one of the few items still made here in the USA
    So are RV's and look how trouble prone they are.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Yes it is. One can buy new axles for less.
    I think my new axle a few years ago was about $100, pretty reasonable.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    I think my new axle a few years ago was about $100, pretty reasonable.
    FWIW a 5200# dexter axle is about $375. The whole axle, brakes and bearings is $700.
    $200 to ship to a business out to the west coast.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW a 5200# dexter axle is about $375. The whole axle, brakes and bearings is $700.
    $200 to ship to a business out to the west coast.
    In 2014 I paid 600.00 for a custom spec'd 7000# axle complete with brakes an springs from Lippert
    Free shipping.

For the best prices, I use Auto Safety House
    Last edited by huntindog; 12-25-2022 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are RV's and look how trouble prone they are.
    Good point, but with that outlook you must not buy anything you trust.
    I have bought a few axles with good results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast