Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
    I am near the purchase of a 398M-R

I used a Reese Goosebox on my last 5th wheel and wanted to use one again with the 398 but am unsure if using a devise that has a stated pin weight max of 4,000 and a capacity of 20,000 lbs is not suitable for a toy hauler with the weights that a Momentum 398 brings to the table.

Is anyone using a Reese Goosebox on a Momentum?
    My 2 cents:
    I’m a purist…I tend to think a trailer manufactured as a 5th wheel should probably stay that way. Having said that tho, I also tend to think it’s more important to relieve shock load that is translated from a trailer to the truck and vice versa, for the sake of the frame welds over time. If you are otherwise going with a fixed fiver hitch, I’d say buy the air bag goosebox.

Just an opinion…
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    My 2 cents:
    I’m a purist…I tend to think a trailer manufactured as a 5th wheel should probably stay that way. Having said that tho, I also tend to think it’s more important to relieve shock load that is translated from a trailer to the truck and vice versa, for the sake of the frame welds over time. If you are otherwise going with a fixed fiver hitch, I’d say buy the air bag goosebox.

Just an opinion…
    Isn't that hitch also just a 4K pin weight and 20K trailer capacity. Seems to defeat the purpose of having more hitch than you might/maybe need.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have it on my 349 and it is great. I hate fifth wheel hitches since I also pull a lot of gooseneck trailers.

It will be fine on your rig.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments

Im going to run my trailer several trips and hit CAT scales as I go, recalculating the pin weight over several trips this year.

If I'm getting close to their stated 4k pin limit, I'll probably not force the issue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12