Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reese Goosebox 20k On Momentum

I am near the purchase of a 398M-R

I used a Reese Goosebox on my last 5th wheel and wanted to use one again with the 398 but am unsure if using a devise that has a stated pin weight max of 4,000 and a capacity of 20,000 lbs is not suitable for a toy hauler with the weights that a Momentum 398 brings to the table.

Is anyone using a Reese Goosebox on a Momentum?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post

I used a Reese Goosebox on my last 5th wheel and wanted to use one again with the 398 but am unsure if using a devise that has a stated pin weight max of 4,000 and a capacity of 20,000 lbs is not suitable for a toy hauler with the weights that a Momentum 398 brings to the table.

I chose not to. With the 8K axle option, GVWR increases to 21,000
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post

I've got a triple axle Momentum 394M (20K GVWR) and have had pin weights right at 4000 lbs. My choice is to not be near the weight limits for any hitch, and to have reserve capacity. I went with a B&W Companion. I also chose the 25K Companion instead of the 20K Companion. The choice is yours obviously, I'm just stating how I feel about it.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I've got a triple axle Momentum 394M (20K GVWR) and have had pin weights right at 4000 lbs. My choice is to not be near the weight limits for any hitch, and to have reserve capacity. I went with a B&W Companion. I also chose the 25K Companion instead of the 20K Companion. The choice is yours obviously, I'm just stating how I feel about it.
    I agree with you having reserve capacity and I like to have that too but if the hitch is rated to 4000 lbs pin weight and 20K trailer the design should have reserve capacity built in and you should be able to tow all day long, 365 days a year right at those ratings. I know RVs are different creatures where everything is right at the edge so I agree with keeping reserve capacity so things don't break. Just saying it should be fine in theory if engineered correctly.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 351 has a gross of 18000. I am a bit overweight at 18,500 (with no water, and no toy). My pin weight is just over 4,000 pounds. Go with the heaver goosebox.

BTW: I went by the manufactures spec sheet and now I am working with Gen-Y to upgrade my gooseneck hitch to the larger unit.
    Last edited by BrokeDown; 12-24-2022 at 06:15 AM.
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Fifth Wheel Hitching Topics.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I agree with you having reserve capacity and I like to have that too but if the hitch is rated to 4000 lbs pin weight and 20K trailer the design should have reserve capacity built in and you should be able to tow all day long, 365 days a year right at those ratings. I know RVs are different creatures where everything is right at the edge so I agree with keeping reserve capacity so things don't break. Just saying it should be fine in theory if engineered correctly.

Rob
    Thanks for your input. The issue though, with the triple axle, 20K GVWR trailers is that the pin weight can many times go over 4000 lbs.....especially if you are NOT hauling a lot of weight in the garage area. Chad and Tara from Changing Lanes RV, with their Momentum 397TH have mentioned pin weights in the 4400 to 4500 lbs. And to add to that, if my trailer was loaded all the way up to the 20K GVW....I'm sure that mine would also be over the 4000 lb pin weight. It's just not worth it to me to have something like that right on the ragged edge of weight ratings.....peace of mind when you know that you have sufficient reserve capacity.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to stay with the gooseneck, the Gen-Y (https://genyhitch.com/product-catego...-torsion-flex/) can easily handle the pin weights you are talking about. You can get the auto coupler version up to 6,500 lb pin weight.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    If you want to stay with the gooseneck, the Gen-Y (https://genyhitch.com/product-catego...-torsion-flex/) can easily handle the pin weights you are talking about. You can get the auto coupler version up to 6,500 lb pin weight.
    The Executive Rhino 4500 is the one I have. If I can, I'll go to the 5500. If not, I'll wait for their new design and then buy the new 5500.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Thanks for your input. The issue though, with the triple axle, 20K GVWR trailers is that the pin weight can many times go over 4000 lbs.....especially if you are NOT hauling a lot of weight in the garage area. Chad and Tara from Changing Lanes RV, with their Momentum 397TH have mentioned pin weights in the 4400 to 4500 lbs. And to add to that, if my trailer was loaded all the way up to the 20K GVW....I'm sure that mine would also be over the 4000 lb pin weight. It's just not worth it to me to have something like that right on the ragged edge of weight ratings.....peace of mind when you know that you have sufficient reserve capacity.
    All good points. I have never had a toy hauler and only my first 5th wheel and I find my pin weight fairly stable within a couple hundred pounds. I can imagine a toy hauler could vary significantly depending on what you have in the garage though as you mentioned.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast