Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    With the hydraulic systems, you can control front/rear or left/right - not completely independently. That would put undue stress on a single point of the frame.

Rob
    Hey Rob, i have a Reflection 29RS and my manual says to only jack using the frame and to avoid the axle and hydraulic jacks. I caught a nail in a rear tire and had a heck of a time getting a jack high enough to use the frame but eventually barely made it work. So just so I"m clear if I want to remove a tire on just one side then you think it's OK if I do it via the rear jack on that side only or both rear jacks? And I see many folks saying the use the axle. In fact I had gone to Discount Tire a while back and they started jacking it under the axle and I quickly stopped them.
    Just the other day I was trying to auto level my trailer in my sloped driveway and the rear jacks lifted both sides off the cement several inches before I noticed it. I quickly raised the jacks and was hoping I didn't do any harm to them. Appreciate you input.
    Dan & Kathy
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    2013 Chevy 2500HD Diesel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdan View Post
    Hey Rob, i have a Reflection 29RS and my manual says to only jack using the frame and to avoid the axle and hydraulic jacks. I caught a nail in a rear tire and had a heck of a time getting a jack high enough to use the frame but eventually barely made it work. So just so I"m clear if I want to remove a tire on just one side then you think it's OK if I do it via the rear jack on that side only or both rear jacks? And I see many folks saying the use the axle. In fact I had gone to Discount Tire a while back and they started jacking it under the axle and I quickly stopped them.
    Just the other day I was trying to auto level my trailer in my sloped driveway and the rear jacks lifted both sides off the cement several inches before I noticed it. I quickly raised the jacks and was hoping I didn't do any harm to them. Appreciate you input.
    Let's start by saying that the Reflectionshave electric leveling systems - not hydraulic.

That said, when I use mine, I lift one side at a time - not front or rear. The physics are such that you'll get the tires off the ground easier and faster by lifting a side rather than one end or the other.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's start by saying that the Reflectionshave electric leveling systems - not hydraulic.

That said, when I use mine, I lift one side at a time - not front or rear. The physics are such that you'll get the tires off the ground easier and faster by lifting a side rather than one end or the other.

Rob
    So in other words I should not use the jacks to do this correct? What's your thoughts about jacking under the axle Ubolts, lots of folks say they do it that way.
    Dan & Kathy
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    2013 Chevy 2500HD Diesel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So in other words I should not use the jacks to do this correct? What's your thoughts about jacking under the axle Ubolts, lots of folks say they do it that way.
    I did not say that. I don't have experience with using the electric leveling system to raise the wheels (our 2016 Reflection 337 did not have auto-leveling). I cannot advise you on whether or not you should do it with your rig since I don't know the lateral strength of the electric struts nor the total capacity of the system. If you choose not to do it, I would follow Lippert's guidelines on where and how to jack up the trailer to change tires, do bearing service, etc. The mobile tech who did bearing service on our Reflection brought several bottle jacks and lots of heavy wood blocks. He would place jacks on the frame in front of and behind the suspension system, raise the wheels off the ground on one side, and block everything for safety. It wasn't the way Lippert says to do it, but he knows what he's doing and it was very safe.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not say that. I don't have experience with using the electric leveling system to raise the wheels (our 2016 Reflection 337 did not have auto-leveling). I cannot advise you on whether or not you should do it with your rig since I don't know the lateral strength of the electric struts nor the total capacity of the system. If you choose not to do it, I would follow Lippert's guidelines on where and how to jack up the trailer to change tires, do bearing service, etc. The mobile tech who did bearing service on our Reflection brought several bottle jacks and lots of heavy wood blocks. He would place jacks on the frame in front of and behind the suspension system, raise the wheels off the ground on one side, and block everything for safety. It wasn't the way Lippert says to do it, but he knows what he's doing and it was very safe.

Rob
    Thanks, I was referring to other folks about saying not to use electric jacks. Think I'll go with a hydraulic bottle or car jack, just not sure about placement (frame or axle Ubolt).
    Dan & Kathy
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    2013 Chevy 2500HD Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I was referring to other folks about saying not to use electric jacks. Think I'll go with a hydraulic bottle or car jack, just not sure about placement (frame or axle Ubolt).
    Electric leveling jacks are fine to use when raising the wheels. I do it often on our 2930RL. While I probably could raise all 4 wheels I just raise one side or the other at a time. If I just need to life one wheel for maintenance, I just take my floor jack and raise the wheel by placing the jack under the axle just inboard of the ubolt.
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

My S class Solitude has electric jacks. I auto level the RV , then raise it slightly. I then use a bottle jack with jack stands under the axle. Never had issues when service the brake - bearings or tire changes. I only do 2 tires at a time of the 4 on the RV. I spent 5 decades in the auto repair field. I have seen vehicles fall off jacks , off hoists, thru hoists... so I am a bit over cautious ..
    2021 Solitude S Class 3540GK
    F-350 DRW Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Momentum has the electric jacks, and does not like to lift the trailer off the ground, it will throw a bunch of error codes when it does. I use a jack with a block of wood under the axle at the u-bolt.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12