User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The lube plate does nothing for the jaws where they wrap around the king pin. As a previous poster said metal to metal contact without lubrication is bad. I also use a high quality pin box lock as it is just too easy for a thief to back up to your fifth wheel & steal it. A lot of rv parks cater to overnight campers. If you aren’t there at the site it is very easy for someone to steal your fifth wheel.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    The lube plate does nothing for the jaws where they wrap around the king pin. As a previous poster said metal to metal contact without lubrication is bad. I also use a high quality pin box lock as it is just too easy for a thief to back up to your fifth wheel & steal it. A lot of rv parks cater to overnight campers. If you aren’t there at the site it is very easy for someone to steal your fifth wheel.
    Heard of that happening a lot? Never heard of anyone stealing a 5th wheel from a campground.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only needs to happen once. As @Malco1 said, with a lock they will move on to one without. I hang a flag from mine so I might not hit my noggin.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Heard of that happening a lot? Never heard of anyone stealing a 5th wheel from a campground.
    No, I don’t think it happens a lot. But I have a one year old fifth wheel that I have added 12 solar panels & 8 lithium batteries & done other modifications. So although it’s not likely to happen, a good fifth wheel pin lock is a good deterrent especially since most of the towables in campgrounds & storage lots don’t have locks. Do you insure your fifth wheel against theft? Not likely to be stolen, so why bother? Once you spend the money for the lock it takes 15 seconds to install or remove? Do you lock your fifth wheel in a campground? Again not likely someone will go in it. Just my opinion & the way I do things.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    Only needs to happen once. As @Malco1 said, with a lock they will move on to one without. I hang a flag from mine so I might not hit my noggin.
    Agreed! Especially important to folks who bought trailers during the inflated sale prices during the pandemic.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    No, I don’t think it happens a lot. But I have a one year old fifth wheel that I have added 12 solar panels & 8 lithium batteries & done other modifications. So although it’s not likely to happen, a good fifth wheel pin lock is a good deterrent especially since most of the towables in campgrounds & storage lots don’t have locks. Do you insure your fifth wheel against theft? Not likely to be stolen, so why bother? Once you spend the money for the lock it takes 15 seconds to install or remove? Do you lock your fifth wheel in a campground? Again not likely someone will go in it. Just my opinion & the way I do things.
    No, we don't lock anything while in the campground. I guess it's just lots and lots of years of traveling without any worry about trailer theft. Worry less, camp more I guess.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123