User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greasing Jaws of B&W Companion?

I was surfing through online videos regarding the B&W hitch and found one that recommended using grease on the jaws of the hitch. This was something I hadn't thought about before and it makes sense, but at the same time defeats some of the purpose of using a teflon plate rather than grease - it's just a lot cleaner without grease. So what does the collective knowledge of this group say? Do you grease the jaws? I can't find that recommendation in my assembly instructions.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a zerk fitting on the bottom of the jaws, it's easy to access if you remove the head, and for the top of the head, use a lube plate. You can also grease the pin of the 5th wheel as well.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clange View Post
    I was surfing through online videos regarding the B&W hitch and found one that recommended using grease on the jaws of the hitch. This was something I hadn't thought about before and it makes sense, but at the same time defeats some of the purpose of using a teflon plate rather than grease - it's just a lot cleaner without grease. So what does the collective knowledge of this group say? Do you grease the jaws? I can't find that recommendation in my assembly instructions.

Thanks!
    As @FT4NOW said, there is a grease zerk under the head for the side-to-side pivot. I also grease the inside of the jaws (jaws only) (the inside circular portion that rides in the grove of the trailer king pin). I use a lube plate and do NOT grease the hitch plates (hitch nor on the trailer).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^What he said.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What they said.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I complete regular maintenance on our B&W Companion RVK 3600 for our Ram truck. Yes I squirt some grease on the king pin where the hitch jaws close around the pin. Also grease the zerk fitting about every quarter or semi-annual. We do use a plastic lube plate. Our hitch is always covered when not in use.

However, one problem you may encounter, the locking handle may get stiff to move over time, and the handle may not close fully when you lock on to the king pin, a little penetrating oil on the large lock handle pivot shaft takes care of that and loosens up the locking handle so it moves freely. Then the lock handle always fully closes so you can just drop the locking pin in (we use a padlock instead of the pin). You wont find a lot of mention about the locking handle stiff moving on the standard B&W Companion hitch videos.
    In some cases people that have had their hitch for a long time, with this issue, have had to get B&W to press the locking handle shaft out, clean the shaft and the bore, then reassembled. Moisture gets in the head locking lever pivot shaft bore and the handle wont move freely.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the insight! My assembly instructions said nothing about greasing the jaws, but I stumbled across a B&W YouTube video that said that you should. It makes sense to me to do so, although I loathe the thought of me or one of my family members rubbing against the kingpin when we're disconnected and ruining a shirt or something else as a result. It seems like kids only need to be within 5' of something greasy and they are guaranteed to end up with grease on them or their clothes...

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you're more likely to get that grease on your head since it will just be on the kingpin, and it would take some serious acrobatics to get the grease on your shirt or some such. Some people hang a rag or tag from the kingpin so they won't conk their heads on it.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you put a kingpin lock on when not hooked to the truck it will prevent people from getting grease on themselves.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    If you put a kingpin lock on when not hooked to the truck it will prevent people from getting grease on themselves.
    It'll just make sure the guy stealing your 5th wheel gets greasy ;-)
    Gil 'n Jenn
    Marble Falls, TX
    320MKS (coming out of a Class A)
    2970W / 800AH Victron & Battleborn
    F-350 (SRW, 7.3 Godzilla)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast