User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude Receiver Hitch

Can the OEM receiver hitch be trusted to carry a 100#+ generator plus about another 100# for a carrier platform. I know GD claims 300# capacity but,...... can that really be trusted?? Thanks for your input. Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two 56 lb e-bikes and a 50 pound rack. Rock solid so far. 5000 miles.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    I have two 56 lb e-bikes and a 50 pound rack. Rock solid so far. 5000 miles.
    Ditto,
    No issues to date with (2) E-bikes and 50 lbs. rack. I do install an anti-rattle hitch clamp to eliminate any shock transfer from the clearance in the receiver hitch. Rock solid connection once installed.

Dutchman 2
    Jim & Patricia
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2024 GMC 3500HD CC-SRW-SB Duramax

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    Can the OEM receiver hitch be trusted to carry a 100#+ generator plus about another 100# for a carrier platform. I know GD claims 300# capacity but,...... can that really be trusted?? Thanks for your input. Frank.
    Tow a 3K trailer (with 425 lbs of tongue weight) over 3,000 miles. I inspect the hitch and all the attach/weld points every day when towing. No problems. I also vertically reinforced the hitch with a couple of grade 5 5/16” through bolts just on either side of the receiver.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70C47DF1-3D9A-4081-B52B-1551F755480D.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	551.4 KB 
ID:	44246
    2021 Solitude 380FL (Morryde IS)
    2022 F-450
    Hensley BD-5F

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @TMitt70, any chance of getting a photo of the mod?
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @TMitt70, any chance of getting a photo of the mod?
    We have a 380FL with rear basement storage so what I did was drill a hole through the steel plate corner braces adjacent to the receiver, the 1X2” steel frame member above it and through the floor of the rear storage compartment. I inserted the 3.5” 5/16” bolt (from the bottom) and put a 2X6” aluminum backing plate over the threaded ends of the bolts (inside the rear compartment with associated hardware. The intention is to add stability and strength to the center of the hitch span (adjacent to the receiver). Some quick calcs say that should substantially beef the limits Grand Design publishes for vertical load (tongue weight).

Sorry, Coach not currently at the house… had to use some old photos.

BTW, the two nuts (on top of the hitch corner braces) serve only as spacers… the clamping hardware is inside the compartment (not visible in these photos).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8440659-87C1-46E7-B4D2-CE8240EECD56.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	44247
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48452ABC-63B2-429D-A12D-E98FE30673C7.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	44248
    Last edited by TMitt70; 12-27-2022 at 05:46 PM.
    2021 Solitude 380FL (Morryde IS)
    2022 F-450
    Hensley BD-5F

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again @TMitt70, I got it.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frank, you can do this but let me say you have no need for a hitch platform that weighs 100# on its own!! A competent platform if 50#, and if you go with structured aluminum you can get down to about 30#. My biggest cautionary tale for you is that after our DECADES of RVing, the last 3 years we have been overwhelmed by the folks we know and folks we meet who have had bikes, ebikes, bike racks and generators stolen right off the rear hitch. I kid you not, sitting here typing this I can rattle off 17 couples and families, 2 of which were robbed twice!

If you have the capacities and room around your other mods, my recommendation is to put your generator up in the front storage. This is where our twin Champions live (each are 100#), and I made a segmented ramp to a deck flush to the door opening to push them up/pull them out without struggle. It's not that it is more secure, but it takes the visual temptation off the table. Nothing is safe these days when battery powered grinders make quick work of high strength chain and cable!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Frank, you can do this but let me say you have no need for a hitch platform that weighs 100# on its own!! A competent platform if 50#, and if you go with structured aluminum you can get down to about 30#. My biggest cautionary tale for you is that after our DECADES of RVing, the last 3 years we have been overwhelmed by the folks we know and folks we meet who have had bikes, ebikes, bike racks and generators stolen right off the rear hitch. I kid you not, sitting here typing this I can rattle off 17 couples and families, 2 of which were robbed twice!

If you have the capacities and room around your other mods, my recommendation is to put your generator up in the front storage. This is where our twin Champions live (each are 100#), and I made a segmented ramp to a deck flush to the door opening to push them up/pull them out without struggle. It's not that it is more secure, but it takes the visual temptation off the table. Nothing is safe these days when battery powered grinders make quick work of high strength chain and cable!
    Thanks Rob, I know that is a risk I will need to mitigate.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a lot of concern carrying my generator back there on my Reflection, so I did a lot of research. The load amplification is tremendous. My refrigerator is located directly on the rear wall, and I have had shelved in the refrigerator loaded with milk, break lose. So, trust me, load amplification is real. Having said that, when I inspected the weld points, I found the hitch was better attached than the wheels. I have more welded metal holding the hitch on than the axials. When I saw that, I felt better.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast