User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duramax Engine Oil

Another question about the Chevy Duramax Diesel. I'm going to start doing my own oil changes and of course there's a variety of synthetic 15W-40 choices out there. Our trips always include towing around or through Texas which has been brutally hot in recent years. What brand of oil and filters are you guys using these days? Appreciate your advice.
    2020 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
    Reflection 260 RD

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far used GM dealers to do this work. But would like to do my own as well when warranty period expires.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    So far used GM dealers to do this work. But would like to do my own as well when warranty period expires.
    Ditto. One difference though. I have no plans to take over maint of my truck. Totally ok using the “dealer oil”

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Rotella 1300 Super 15W-40 in both of our Dodges. I've tried a couple other brands, but the best results, according to Blackstone Labs anyway, is with the Rotella. As a bonus, it's also just about the cheapest. Win, Win.

Wow, I don't know where my mind is. It's Mobil Delvac 1300 Super. Doh.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 12-26-2022 at 04:13 PM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Ditto. One difference though. I have no plans to take over maint of my truck. Totally ok using the “dealer oil”

Bill
    Exactly as I did, under warranty I take it to the dealer. I've owned three Chevy Trucks, this being my first diesel, and have used three different dealers for oil changes. My experience hasn't been great. Even though they tell you it's all computerized and your vin is scanned which automatically sets the system to deliver the right oil in the right amount, I've seen them over fill and under fill and even leave the plug finger tight. It all boils down to the guy in the oil change department and what kind of day he's having. Do it yourself and you know it's done right. I've heard mention of Rotella and Mobile 1 Delvac and figured you guys who have been running diesels for awhile would have some insight.
    Reflection 260 RD

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not let the dealer do oil changes any more. I had "free" changges on my last truck. They screwed things up so bad it wasn't worth the trouble. Use an impact wrench to install the drain plug (stripped it impact on the plastic skid/air dam, crushed it. New truck has freebies..... No thanks
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I do not let the dealer do oil changes any more. I had "free" changges on my last truck. They screwed things up so bad it wasn't worth the trouble. Use an impact wrench to install the drain plug (stripped it impact on the plastic skid/air dam, crushed it. New truck has freebies..... No thanks
    I completely understand this. I too have had dealer issues. Each dealership has so many diesel techs. I have made it a point to reach out and talk to them. I also have changed dealerships from my purchasing one as they were a high volume push them through dealer. I am satisfied with my dealer and the relationship I have with the service guy and the mechanics.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TsnTexas View Post
    Another question about the Chevy Duramax Diesel. I'm going to start doing my own oil changes and of course there's a variety of synthetic 15W-40 choices out there. Our trips always include towing around or through Texas which has been brutally hot in recent years. What brand of oil and filters are you guys using these days? Appreciate your advice.
    I have used Shell Rotella !5-40 T-4 since day 1 without any concerns. And yes, I have always done my own oil changes. There are lots of good filters out there - and some not so good. FWIT I have always been partial to Baldwin or Wix filters.
    Tim & Lisa
    2012 Silverado SRW LB 3500 Duramax
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, IS, Kodiak Discs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timlisajax View Post
    I have used Shell Rotella !5-40 T-4 since day 1 without any concerns. And yes, I have always done my own oil changes. There are lots of good filters out there - and some not so good. FWIT I have always been partial to Baldwin or Wix filters.
    I have noticed that Rotella is usually the only diesel choice at most of the auto parts stores in west Texas where we frequently travel. Have been told “it’s what everybody uses around here” so I’ll take your advice and will go with Rotella. Partly because you never know when you're gonna need that extra quart and the fact that it's obviously considered to be a great engine oil.
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by TsnTexas; 12-26-2022 at 05:46 PM. Reason: update
    Reflection 260 RD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't seen some of the YouTube videos from Project Farm, check them out. He tests anything and everything and has a number of them on various oils, including Rotella.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast