User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Actually it is a waste of money. A used filter actually filters better than a new filter, as it gets dirty it filters smaller particles. If you are concerned about it plugging up, carry the new one with you. If you get a fill of dirty fuel, a newly installed filter will plug up almost as fast as a used one. So if you have a new one on hand, you may be able to install it and drive far enough to get to a service center. I know my Dmax filter minder system actually monitors the restriction in the oil and fuel filters and calculates the remaining percentage of life left. I am sure the OBs do similar. btw, I do not bother carrying a spare with me. No issues since I went diesel in 2000
    Actually, as the fuel filter gets more dirty, it causes more stress on your pump to draw it through the plugged up filter. If your pump goes, look out, big trouble! A new fuel filter is the best for keeping your fuel clean and causing less stress on the pump.
    TV 2016 Chev 3500 Duramax
    2018 315RLTS

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    Actually, as the fuel filter gets more dirty, it causes more stress on your pump to draw it through the plugged up filter. If your pump goes, look out, big trouble! A new fuel filter is the best for keeping your fuel clean and causing less stress on the pump.

More stress only if your truck doesn't have a lift pump, but cleaner fuel. GM has been monitoring the filters restriction as it's filter monitor system for quite awhile now. I inspect my used filters and am satisfied that the monitoring system works.It is actually really conservative. They also monitor the oil in a similar fashion. Quite few people have sent samples of their oil off to Blackstone to double check the monitors reading. In every case, the lab has found that the oil could be used for a lot longer than the monitor said.

If you all want to throw money away, change them every week if you want. I don't buy into that, not even when I owned a CP4 (no lift pump) equipped truck. todays trucks have wonderfull features to monitor everything. I paid for those features and will use them to my benefit. As always.... Your money,,your choice.
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-02-2023 at 04:37 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More stress only if your truck doesn't have a lift pump, but cleaner fuel. GM has been monitoring the filters restriction as it's filter monitor system for quite awhile now. I inspect my used filters and am satisfied that the monitoring system works.It is actually really conservative. They also monitor the oil in a similar fashion. Quite few people have sent samples of their oil off to Blackstone to double check the monitors reading. In every case, the lab has found that the oil could be used for a lot longer than the monitor said.

If you all want to throw money away, change them every week if you want. I don't buy into that, not even when I owned a CP4 (no lift pump) equipped truck. todays trucks have wonderfull features to monitor everything. I paid for those features and will use them to my benefit. As always.... Your money,,your choice.
    Are you refer to the percentage monitor for oil and fuel filter in the driver information center?

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most people don't have a lift pump, and commenting to go ahead and change their filter every week if you want is really unnecessary. Most of us on here have been around the block a few times!???
    2018 315RLTS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    Most people don't have a lift pump
    Really? Hmm. My Dodge has one so I guess I figured they all did. Does the Duramax fuel system just have the injector pump?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Really? Hmm. My Dodge has one so I guess I figured they all did. Does the Duramax fuel system just have the injector pump?
    Well, my 2016 only has the injector pump, maybe the newer Duramax has them now?
    2018 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appologize, only the Duramax never had a lift pump until 2017.
    2018 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I've used Rotella 1300 Super 15W-40 in both of our Dodges. I've tried a couple other brands, but the best results, according to Blackstone Labs anyway, is with the Rotella. As a bonus, it's also just about the cheapest. Win, Win.

Wow, I don't know where my mind is. It's Mobil Delvac 1300 Super. Doh.
    X2 on the Mobil. Usually cheapest at Walmart. If not Mobil, then the Walmart brand. As for filters...Wix or OEM, whatever I find the cheapest.
    2023 Rockwood Signature 2442 BS
    2022 Ram 3500 Longhorn Limited , 6.7 CTD, 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krsmitty View Post
    X2 on the Mobil. Usually cheapest at Walmart. If not Mobil, then the Walmart brand. As for filters...Wix or OEM, whatever I find the cheapest.
    The last 5 gallon bucket I bought at Wally World was $57, tough to beat that price. Heck, some of that stuff out there cost more for a quart than what I paid for a gallon.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not let the dealer do oil changes any more. I had "free" changges on my last truck. They screwed things up so bad it wasn't worth the trouble. Use an impact wrench to install the drain plug (stripped it impact on the plastic skid/air dam, crushed it. New truck has freebies..... No thanks
    My friend bought his new Chevy Truck at a Chevy dealership and took it in for all scheduled services since new. Then one day while towing his camper to a campsite the truck went into limp mode so he had it towed to that same dealer that did the servicing. Turns out the truck still had the original engine airfilter (at 78-k miles) and it was so clogged up the truck barely run. Each time he brought the truck in for services, the techs did a thorough inspection and checked everything off as good on their inspection lists. My friend trusted them and never opened the hood to make sure things were right. He learned a valuable lesson, always check and verify the work someone else says did. Not only did he have to pay for the tow truck but he lost his reservation money on the campsite, too. That dealership installed a new airfilter "no charge ".
    2019 Solitude 310-GK
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW
    Reese Goosebox 20-k

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123